Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pumps and water bottle on frame on burly bike
  • sideshow
    Free Member

I know this is a fashion no no…

But I think it would be even less fashionable to break my spine on the pump in my rucsac if I fell on it.

Does anyone here carry pump (and for that matter water bottle) on their big bouncy bike?

Do they stay in place?

cokie

I do!
    Carry the whole lot on the frame- innertube, tyre leavers, pump & water bottle.
    It all staid in place after a day on the Reds/Black at BPW.

johnhe

Break your spine with the pump in your backpack? How on earth have you packed your backpack? I expect the pump in my backpack to act as protection from sharp rocks in a really bad fall. The pump lies parallel with my back within the backpack, so I don’t see how it would break my spine.

sideshow
    Free Member

How do you carry the pump and bottle – any specific recommendations? I used to have a bottle cage on bouncy bike but they always broke.

sideshow
    Free Member

@johnhe there’s a facebook post doing the rounds lately from someone who got paralyzed by a shock pump.

cokie
    dknwhy

I do and they’ve been fine (leyzne pump and mount with a plastic cage) but I’ve bought a nice Evoc pack rather than all my spares rather than the Alpkit fuel pod that I was using.
    I’ll probably get around to moving the pump into the Evoc pack to stop it getting so dirty.
    I only really use a bottle on the frame for shorter rides and even then, the spout fills with mud.
    I’m not really selling this am I?

My Evoc pack has a back protector so hopefully I won’t ruin my spine.

cokie

DrP

The thing is….. there could be all manner of spikes, roots,twigs, and other bikes on the trail that one could fall onto…
    It’s a balance of risk isn’t it.
    Personally I wouldn’t worry about carrying stuff in a padded back pack if it was easier than carrying on the frame..

But that’s me.

However, if I’m just going for a quick blast then I’ll carry it all on the bike. But that’s not because if worried about breaking my spine – but because I prefer riding bare back (ooh er..)

DrP

thepodge
    Free Member

All mine is on the bike, most of it covered in mud so you cant really see it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pumps and water bottle on frame on burly bike’ is closed to new replies.