Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pump Track Opinions please
  • Mugboo

This is in the early stages and may not work out but I am hoping to persuade the council to build a local pump track. I am a volunteer trailbuilder so have been part of the team building the new one up at Stainburn and have helped fund and rebuild a local jump spot for beginners.

I like the look of the Velosolutions track at Inverness rather than the more BMX type tracks. I don’t have the time to drive round the UK testing all these tracks so wondered if any of you can recommend a particular track that lends itself to riders of all ages and abilities rather than being aimed at the more advanced?

And if you have been involved with the design and build of a track please get in touch

Cheers Jason
    mugboo@gmail.com

twistedpencil

Stubylee park by Dirtworks is excellent.
    Westminster Park in Chester is also good.
    A fully tarmaced velosolutions type course would be great from a longevity point of view as they need maintenance otherwise, but riding dirt feels better and easier to remodel further down the line.

Where you planning on getting one built? Getting funding is tough at the moment…

BenjiM

Ingletons pump track isn’t too far from you, in the grand scheme of things.

Here

Facebook Page

joebristol

There’s on in longwell green in Bristol that’s part dirt but has banked tarmac corners. I find it hard work going fast ons mountain bike round it, but imagine its good on a bmx.

Not difficult to get round but if you were good I imagine you could get some airtime.

https://worldofbmx.com/track/551bed73c086966d258b4567

https://www.moredirt.com/trail/United-Kingdom_South-West/Longwell-Green-Pump-Track/1340

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dragon+dh+longwell+green+pump+track&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=F4mrPuDpM1puBM:

TiRed

Haldon forest has a very good track. This coupled with the skills area makes for an excellent facility. There are some trails too 😉

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If you’re ever around Edinburgh, I can talk to you about The Skelf – another Velosolutions one.
    I am one of the people on the charity that got it built.

Mugboo

Thanks chaps, I have been meaning to go to Ingleton (we had a caravan there as a child) but its too far to go unless I’m passing.
    Stubby Lee I have tried, seems very well built but I would prefer something that flows round and round. Both tracks up at Lee Quarry are the same sadly.
    What is the new one at Whitworth like?

As for funding, there is a local fund that I could possibly tap into if I can get the local community to vote for the plan. Its early days, I’ll know more once I’ve met the man from the Big Local funding.

I have also emailed Velosolutions.

I think that the line has blurred between pump tracks and the bigger more advanced bmx type.

nstpaul

I’ve used the Inverness one with the kids on BMX and MTB with tyres pumped up and was really good fun and well laid out. When I was there there was a good spread of abilities and seemed to suit all. As part of the set up there is also a surfaced mini pump track alongside which was great for my 6 year old and other young kids so they could join in.

I think the figures to build were in the region of 300,000, and bear in mind this was as a development of the current skate park so the ground and basic infrastructure required were already in place.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Try to get a tarmac one built, the dirt or whatever agregate they use, weather poorly and are even worse when scooters get involved.

stevextc
    Free Member

Ingletons pump track isn’t too far from you, in the grand scheme of things.

That’s what I was thinking… drove past it a few times but didn’t stop but it’s also got the advantage of if Ingleton can do it why not Slaidburn ??? Seems well used… always full of kids when I’ve driven past.

Mugboo

Yep, downloaded and read Pump Track Nation and I am also wanting to build a handbuilt track too and have that partially funded but this one would hopefully be funded well enough for contractors.

Thanks to Chris and Graham for their emails, very helpful. It seems that all tarmac would be north of £100,000. Tarmac corners and dirt/aggregate jumps 30-40,000. So I guess the final choice will come down to funding…

Right, I’ll get on with trying to impress the council, butter up the local residents and work through my long list of trailbuilders. I suspect this may take a while… wish me luck.

perchypanther
    Free Member

We have one in the pipeline – organised by council / local community group / Central Scotland Green Network Trust / Local MTB club. Velosolutions again.

http://www.csgnt.org.uk/news-and-events/latest-news/88-new-bike-track-proposed-for-craigneuk-and-wishaw

Diggers and rollers started on site on Monday. Should be done by Christmas.

giantalkali
    Free Member

TiRed – Member
    Haldon forest has a very good track. This coupled with the skills area makes for an excellent facility. There are some trails too

Haldon’s pump track is abysmal, wtf are you actually talking about?

Mugboo

Great news percypanther, maybe I need to head North. I’m up at Glentress soon but won’t have time sadly.

GavinB

I got a pump track built on the edge of Blackpool a few years ago, as part of a wider programme I was running. We opted for tarmac corners and dirt/gravel elsewhere to save money, but also as the fine gravel surface is much kinder to fall on. The main point to bear in mind here though is that it will need maintenance in the form of extra gravel and graft from people to keep it running nice – worth thinking about as many funding sources tend to be short-term capital, rather than longer term revenue funding.

FWIW I’ve no idea if the pump track we built is still in use/maintained (probably not), but it had about 100m of track in 4 straights, and all rideable by any bike, rather than a BMX-specific track.

Speeder

Claudio has built quite a name for himself doing these – who’d have thought Pumptracks could be a global business?! 😯

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bike Track People based in the Tweed Valley have just built and sent a portable pumptrack to the Maldives.

Mugboo

Maintenance wise I am more than happy to keep it in good nick myself.
    I have been sent a quote and it suggests that this is more than possible.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pump Track Opinions please’ is closed to new replies.