Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Pulled pork – what to do with it the day after?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Cooked a huge pulled pork joint over the weekend and still have lots left – having some for lunch in sandwiches but there is no way I could eat it all before it goes off so ideas please!

And can I refreeze it and re-use later? (For example, if I made a pulled pork chilli which would entail cooking it again then freezing and reheating again, would I die)?

ferrals
    Free Member

We normally freeze in batches and do all sorts, either just re-fry to heat or cook up with tinned tomatos etc. We’re still alive – I think. I’m pretty fastidious about making sure its really cooked when re-cooking though.

thejesmonddingo

My american relatives freeze theirs,and warm it up then eat it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

freeze now and make the chilli after you’ve defrosted it, saferer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I always make a huge batch, reduce the sauce down to a treacle, shred the meat, mix the two and freeze it in freezer bags. Chuck a block in a cast iron pan on the BBQ before friends arrive and pretend you’ve been cooking it for hours.

rhayter

Like all meats, just make sure it’s properly heated through – not warm but really hot – and you’ll be fine.

johndoh
    Free Member

So would it be okay to recook it then freeze it and warm up again even though it has already been frozen when it was raw?

elliott-20
    Free Member

As long as it’s kept sealed in the fridge it should last a good few days. After all, I always ask myself how long do cooked meats last when bought it from the supermarket? 🙂

We tend to go for pulled pork stir-fried noodles – that’s what we’re having today. Yum!

johndoh
    Free Member

Mmmm, nice idea for a salad – pulled pork with noodles and beansprouts tossed in some honey, soy, ginger and chilli flakes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, freeze it in ziplock bags. I only make such things if I can make enough for batches, so handy having ready made, good food in the freezer.

marcgear
    Free Member

Banh Mi.

Fry it up with some sweet chilli sauce, stuff it in a baguette spread with some pate, crunchy pickled cucumber, carrot etc, coriander and fresh chilli.

FuzzyWuzzy

I was a complete pig the other week, did a 4kg pulled pork shoulder as kept wanting to try a homemade one and that joint size was on offer. Only I was on my own and couldn’t freeze it (only have an ice box in my fridge and that was full) so ended up eating nothing but pulled pork for 3 days. I didn’t bother to refrigerate it either, just left it on top of the cooker in the pot it cooked in (with the lid on).

I didn’t die but I probably won’t be having it again any time soon…

Sandwich

Twice-cooked pork, with noodles. A google search should throw up a recipe or two. You will be cooking stage 2 in the wok, not the stage 1 boiling part.

rossburton
    Free Member

Okay so now I really want some pulled pork. Can anyone share an awesome recipe?

FuzzyWuzzy

I used this recipe, seemed OK https://www.lovepork.co.uk/recipes/paprika-pulled-pork/

I was going to use this one https://www.lovepork.co.uk/recipes/tom-kerridges-perfect-pulled-pork/ but read the comments about it being too salty and can understand why. Even the recipe I followed was quite salty and that only had 8-10g of salt in it – TK’s one has 50g, I don’t understand how that’s edible (it doesn’t mention washing any of the rub off before cooking).

drlex
    Free Member

Baker Bros recipe (Ch4) – simple and v. tasty.

steve-g
    Free Member

My latest attempt was my best so far, I did the following…

Soak the pork shoulder in pear cider for a few hours before it goes on the BBQ.
    Dry rub of “chicken seasoning” which is just salt, garlic salt, dried onion, paprika, pepper etc, all the usual suspects.
    On the BBQ with coals on one side, tray of water on the other, with the pork on the top grill above the water.
    Woodchips soaked in pear cider, then drained and chucked on the coals as the pork goes on.
    Monitor the temp every 30 mins or so and adjust vents accordingly, aiming for a steady 275.
    Cooked for 12 hours, and was just about right for the 2 small shoulder joints I had done, I don’t hink this would have been long enough if I had used one larger joint instead.

The pork is amazing as it is hot off the BBQ, but I then add a BBQ sauce to keep it moist once its been in the fridge/freezer and come back out for re-heating

This weekend I am going to attempt to set one going on Saturday lunchtime for eating 24 hours later at Sunday lunchtime

squirrelking
    Free Member

Last I did was in the slow cooker, from memory it involved cooking in cider vinegar and an overnight in a rub. Damn good it was too, will try and dig it out tonight.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I normally mix it up with some potato peelings, old egg shells and used teabags then chuck it in the bin where it belongs, probably the most boring overrated meat ever !

chiefgrooveguru

Post it to me in a bag full of ice cubes. Or freeze it if you must…

mrlugz
    Free Member

Mine varies around this:

unroll joint and rub with chilli jam. Leave for some time.

Stick in casserole pot with some apple juice, lots of garlic and a chopped onion.

cover and cook for a long time on a low heat. (12 hrs 120 ish)

Pull it out and let it stand. Drain off liquid and lumps of onion.

Shred

Put some tomato sauce, golden syrup, chilli type stuff into a bowl and mix.

Pour in some of the drained off stuff.

mix and pour on meat.

Put it in a big bun and eat it.

🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Loads of stuff you can do with it already suggested. It freezes well.

As a rule of thumb for most food.

Freeze once when raw.

cook

freeze once when cooked

reheat once

bin!

thelinkedinman
    Free Member

Simple … sandwich .. hungry now. Lot’s of sandwiches … but seriously if over that (limit?) then freeze it as others suggested.

James

lambchop
    Free Member

Pit beans.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Pulled pork quesadillas are decent way to use left overs

johndoh
    Free Member

Ended up making the mother of all chillies – lots of smoked paprika and half a bottle of chipotle & coke tabasco sauce and it was superb – and we have 8 more portions to eat later too.

😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Pulled pork – what to do with it the day after?’ is closed to new replies.