Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pulled back muscle!
  • badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

So there I was this morning pumping a long a lovely flowy bit of singletrack when all of a sudden I pulled a muscle in my lower back; Que sharp shooting pain on right hand side and down the right hand leg. After limping along the rest of the trail for a bit I managed to focus the mind and ride through the pain only to get a PB on the next down hill. Now how ever the simplest of tasks (all but sitting still) hurts. Pretty sure it is just a pulled muscle so do I rest up for a couple of days and see how its doing in say 48 hours or do I try and see a Dr or Physio/osteopath tomorrow when I have a day off anyway?

globalti
    Free Member

Pain down your buttock and thigh is sciatica, which is a sign of a deeper problem with your spine. If it really is that, you need to see the Dr, pronto.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Lower back pains can also be a symptom of things like anterior hip rotation which is caused by (amongst other things, but they’re the dominant factor) shortened hip flexors, which are caused by:

1) sitting at a desk
    2) riding bikes

I’ve had it come on suddenly mid holiday when a bit of fatigue kicks in, muscles begin to cramp etc and it’s excruciating.

Best off seing a Dr or Physio as it could be one of a million things.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Currently suffering from sciatica due to crash a few weeks ago, tis bloody painful. I was told 8 weeks wait for nhs physio, so paid myself to see one private.
    Docs prescribed ibuprofen and told me to rest but made no difference. The biggest problem has been driving due to the pain. The only time the pain goes is standing up. Sitting is very painful. Plus once i have stood up the pain is really bad for about 30-40 seconds then subsides. So if you have none of the above it probably is just muscular and MAY not ge sciatic, ibuprofen and rest should help.

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

Cheers the pain seems to be pretty much localised to my lower back as opposed to buttocks and thigh, it just hurts to bend twist and lift; and there was a definite pulling sensation when it happened so not too concerned about it being cyatica (In the sort term any how. I’ve been icing it we’ll see what the morning brings!

z1ppy

TBH normally with back issue is it should be rested for a short while, but gentle exercise is normally recommended/encouraged (obvious consult a medical expert not an internet DR 😀 ). Partner came across a case where a guy in his 20’s has done nothing but ‘rest’ his back for 3 months – it ain’t helping anyone! (but then neither is pushing it too far, a compromise must be reached)
    For my own sciatica, I do a series of stretches and core exercises most nights (seems to stave it off, till I slacken off the exercises)

fergal
    Free Member

Yep if muscular, ibuprofen and light exercise (walking) will pay dividens.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

My chiropractor suggests rest & icing the bad areas for the first couple of days, then getting mobile again.
    Worth getting a private appt, as they’re only about £30-£40 & can get you on the road to recovery quicker.

globalti
    Free Member

BDC, it could be as simple as needing to get your sacro-iliac joint manipulated. This is the joint where your spine meets the pelvis, it pops just like popping your finger joints and needs popping back. I’ve had it done twice and both times I walked out pain free. Any physio can do it. Originally I popped mine by trying to pull the car passenger seat forwards while lifting the latch thingy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pulled back muscle!’ is closed to new replies.