Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Published 100-miler finish time – does this look right?
  • IHN

Me’n’her are doing a sportive on Sunday (yeah, whatever, shoot me) and last night we talking about whether to go for the pretty hilly (1700m ish) 60 mile or the really quite hilly (2500m) 100 mile route.

Whilst we were looking at the routes we came across last year’s finish times, and the fastest finisher in the 100mile came in, apparently, at 4:02. Now, not that it really matters, but that seems very quick to me, given the course, in fact I’m not sure I believe it.

25mph average over that sort of course is rather ‘too’ quick, isn’t it? Or are (I assume) club racers quicker than I thought?

lunge

Depending on the course, with a nice fast group that is certainly doable in the right company.

IHN

Oh yeah, I can see a four hour 100 mile is doable (not by me, obvs), but over a course with 2500m ascent?

theotherjonv

How many came in at that time?

A strong group, could almost certainly do it. A solo rider would have to be pretty good. Is it just the time for the first rider of several or a complete outlier?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Possible, but unlikely.
    Usually these sort of results are when someone signs up for the long route, but then does a shorter one for whatever reason.
    Since these things are non-competitive, no-one ever bothers to check.

tomhoward

/\ my thoughts exactly

IHN

How many came in at that time?

One at 4:02, one at 4:12, no-one else under five.

Usually these sort of results are when someone signs up for the long route, but then does a shorter one for whatever reason

Yeah, that’s what I thought.

scud
    Free Member

A guy i ride and work with, averaged 22mph for the 180 mile 4000m of climbing Dragon Devil that we did, he is 9 stone though and dances up hills like they’re not there.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

My local evening loop, 40km. Has been done in slightly shy of an hour (not these days!). On my own after work, and has around 450m of climbing, and includes a couple of km of footpath to start and finish. So not a huge stretch to see a group doing that sort of pace with no stops and no footpaths.

A decent group of fast 1st/2nd category type riders should be able to polish off that in 4 hours. If they work together.

What do the rest of the top 10-20 look like? If there is a stack of riders coming in at about the same time, minute gaps or something, having taken roughly the same time to complete, i’d guess that’s what it is. Tend to increase the pace at the end to get to the cafe first, some riders drop off and roll in on their own.

Edit, looks like you’ve answered that question.

Serves me right for wandering off to do work half way through typing a response.

cloudnine
    Free Member

But how much cake did they manage? Bet the losers didn’t even stop. Sportives are social fun days out..

tomhoward

A guy i ride and work with, averaged 22mph for the 180 mile 4000m of climbing Dragon Devil that we did, he is 9 stone though and dances up hills like they’re not there.

Is he on three weeks annual leave at the moment? 😯

stumpy01

You sure it’s not just some people swapped from the 100 mile to the 60 mile on the day??

I did the Velo 69er Ripon sportive yesterday & entered the long race, but under-estimated it to be honest.
    I found it pretty brutal going; my mate even more so, so we cut our losses & took the ‘medium’ route turn when it came up.

Looking at the times today & I’m still down as doing the 100 miler.
    15mph for the 60 miler is probably more do-able for ‘most’ people…

chilled76
    Free Member

I saw a similar thing the other weekend from the Notts 125 mile ride.

I strava stalked the person and it turned out they had bailed half way around and done the 75 miler.

Strava stalk 😉

theotherjonv

given the OP’s response and the fact that only two people made it under 5 hrs, I’m now also of the opinion that they did the short route / cut the course somewhere.

Flaperon

I would say it’s very weather dependent too. I’m only 9.5 stones and can charge up hills but get me into a slight headwind on the flat and I’m struggling the whole way. So a bunch of lightweights riding in a group… maybe.

cookeaa

but over a course with 2500m ascent?

I suppose there’s going to be approximately the same amount of descent as well, Right? What goes up and all that.
    That should help drag the averages back up, then it’s down to what they can maintain on the flat…

So I’m sure a disciplined group working together can achieve sportive glory…

edlong
    Free Member

I did the Velo 69er Ripon sportive yesterday & entered the long race

😐

onandon
    Free Member

Aren’t sportives just long rides for people who can’t plan ?

njee20
    Free Member

I suppose there’s going to be approximately the same amount of descent as well, Right? What goes up and all that.
    That should help drag the averages back up, then it’s down to what they can maintain on the flat…

Nah, hilly rides are always slower, descents don’t compensate sufficiently for the climbs.

Given those gaps it sounds like folk swapped distance for sure.

butcher

One hilly route is not the same as another. Some will work very well with a group, and some won’t. 5 Hours sounds more realistic to me though. Maybe even 4 and a half on the right route with a fast group. 4 would be pretty bonkers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Published 100-miler finish time – does this look right?’ is closed to new replies.