Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Public transport is a joke
  • professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Soooo

Have been looking at ways of getting myself and my wife up to Newcastle to see my parents on 21st April – so this is over 3 and a half months away!!!

To drive will take 5 hours (ok so i’m assuming no traffic) and cost around £120

To fly, even with all the credit card charges, environmental charges, etc will take about 4 hours (getting to airport, check in, flying time, getting to my parents house at the other end) and cost £140!!

The bus (an effing bus) will take our entire lives(well 11 hours – and again that’s assuming no traffic) and it costs 180 freaking quid!! – are you kidding me, we get to sit in a tin can, that i’m not in charge of, with eff all leg room and do exactly the same efffing journey as we would in the car and we have to pay an extra £60 for that joy.

That’s not the best bit……………the train…the F^^king train, not only does it not let you book more than 2 months ahead, so giving myself the longest time to book the tickets (planning well in advance) but it takes 8 hours! 8 hours how the hell does something that supposedly travels at 200mph take 8 hours? and how much do i have to pay for the pleasure of taking twice as long as a car?

£211!!!!!!

And the government is trying to get us out of cars! – who the hell are they kidding?!

Bah – rant over!

small print – (all prices based on two people sharing and are total not per person – still it’s blimming expensive)

CaptJon
    Free Member

iirc correctly the cheaper advance and super advance tickets (ironically) don’t get released until nearer the date.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Where are you?

CaptJon
    Free Member

radtothepowerofsik – Member
    Where are you?

you can work it out based on the info in the post. or click his name…

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

to be fair i do live just out side of Bristol going to just outside of Newcastle – so pretty much opposite ends of the country

ha ha just seen how that may have come out – i’d be ridiculous for a short journey

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Where are you +1

martymac

try megabus.com
    they are usually cheap if you book early (fares start at £1 single!)
    not as quick as the car like, but cheap.
    re your point about the prices car vs the rest, i agree, when you add everything up on a long journey, nothing comes close to a car.
    (convenience/time/price/comfort).

ElShalimo

I think the max speed of any train is 125mph except EuroStar/HS1 line.

The cheapest advance rail tickets are available 12 weeks before the journey. So wait 2/3 weeks then check the train again.
    I can’t promise it will make you smile though
    😉

BlobOnAStick

Bristol to Newcastle 4hours 22mins.

Cost about £134 off-peak return.

RealMan
    Free Member

something that supposedly travels at 200mph

Ummmm.. isn’t that the bullet trains in Japan that do that? I think the trains here do about 80mph max.

Although have you factored in the cost of learning to drive, buying a car, insurance, tax, parking, depreciation on the car, etc. etc.

Although I do agree with you about trains, they suck and I hate them.

edit: just seen

Maybe he’s right.

BoardinBob

re your point about the prices car vs the rest, i agree, when you add everything up on a long journey, nothing comes close to a car.
    (convenience/time/price/comfort).

TJ will be along in a second to point out you haven’t factored depreciation, capital outlay and the impact on children’s faces into your calculation and that public transport is far cheaper

donsimon
    Free Member

Is the bus public transport?

joao3v16
    Free Member

Public transport costs are bonkers unless you’re making certain specific journeys.

I.e. it seems that unless your train journey involves travelling to London from either Manchester, Liverpool or Birmingham, then it’s going to cost a million pounds.

I got a return Stockport-London over the new year for £45, which incl. 1st class for the return leg.

And the government is trying to get us out of cars! – who the hell are they kidding?!

They’re not really though are they, they’re just paying lip service to it to keep the ecomentalists happy

br
    Free Member

to be fair i do live just out side of Bristol going to just outside of Newcastle – so pretty much opposite ends of the country

Spot the man that never travels…

tbh Having done that kinda return trip in a day I wouldn’t even be thinking about it, never mind planning something like that over 3 months in advance…

CaptJon
    Free Member

you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the public transport infrastructure in newcastle once you arrive

zokes
    Free Member

Although have you factored in the cost of learning to drive, buying a car, insurance, tax,

As he’s considering driving, I assume he’s already spent money on these things…

njee20
    Free Member

He’s right, fastest domestic trains are the SouthEastern High Speed services on HS1 which are 140mph, Eurostars are up to 186mph. On the southern/south western nowt above 100, great western, east coast, midland and west cost main lines are 125.

Not really sure what you’re on about frankly.

5 hours on the nose, no changes, £36.50, for the 29th March, which is a weekday, weekend will be cheaper. Subsidised first class upgrade, sit there, enjoy free drink, watch the world go by. Very pleasant.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Although have you factored in the cost of learning to drive, buying a car, insurance, tax, parking, depreciation on the car, etc. etc

These things would only be a consideration if the OP was buying a car specifically for this journey … ?

There’s no additional insurance, tax, learning to drive or purchase costs just for this specific journey

Ladders
    Free Member

I’ve walked across town to get to the Train Station before. Looked at the ticket price. Saw the cost. Turned round and walked back home and drove to where I wanted to go as it was so much cheaper!

For the price of some train tickets it would be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand car and drive there!

BlobOnAStick

This is going to descend into the usual arguments.

Basically, the OP did very little research and followed the usual ‘country’s going to the dogs’ Daily Wail line.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

it would be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand car

Just steal one – cheaper still.

njee20
    Free Member

If you go for a car-jacking and stab the previous owner you can nick their wallet too, and they can fund the petrol. Win win.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

what’s wrong with the daily mail…..i blame the imigants 😉

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

yes i do have a car so have already factored in cost, depreciation, etc but that is spread out over the lifetime of the car not just a particular journey, and as the car is a second hand polo, its already depreciated, it’s only a 1.4 so tax isn’t bad. it’s just such a long way up the M6 and i can’t be bothered to drive, so thought transport would be cheaper more convenint alternative

plus i felt like a good rant

njee20
    Free Member

so thought transport would be cheaper more convenint alternative

Which it almost certainly is 🙄

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

NJEE beat me to it, but yeah you can both get there and back for £166 mid March (latest released cheap tickets)

£166.00
    Saving £102.20

Price for 2 Adult and 0 Child
    Out: 10:30 19 Mar 2012
    Bristol Temple Meads (BRI) to Newcastle (NCL)
    0 change(s)
    Specified train only. No refunds.
    This ticket is only valid on CrossCountry services.
    Return: 09:41 23 Mar 2012
    Newcastle (NCL) to Bristol Temple Meads (BRI)
    0 change(s)

Bang on 5 hours each way

njee20
    Free Member

And again that’s a weekday, so it’ll probably be cheaper at the weekend.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

I need to leave on a friday night and come back Sunday at somepoint

£166 is still more expensive than 2 tanks of petrol though

£46 would pay for a night out in the Toon 🙂

5 hours each way is a good alternative though

njee20
    Free Member

£166 is still more expensive than 2 tanks of petrol today though

FTFY, god knows about April!

thomthumb
    Free Member

take a bike. it’ll be (almost) free

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Subsidised first class upgrade

Or the Elfinsafety Free 1st Class Upgrade:

Wait until the inspector has seen yer ticket, which usually happens not long after take-off, then simply go and sit in 1st Class. Unless it stops along the way, you won’t have to move. And if it does stop, and the inspector comes round again, simply move to the bit between carriages, pretend you’re making a ‘phone call, then when he/she’s gone go and sit back down again.

Then sit, relax and bask in the smugness that all the other mugs sitting there thinking themselves so superior for being able to afford 1st Class are actually paying several times what you are, for no extra benefit. 😀

traildog
    Free Member

I would almost always take the train if I could. It’s far more comfortable, you can do other things, or just sleep. The chances of it getting delayed are less, it’s generally quicker, and you arrive fresh.

According to my research you are looking at 5 hours journey time, so I don’t know how you work out 8. Factor in getting stuck in traffic, stopping for coffees etc into your driving time.

The only downside, for me, is the price and having to chase those cheap tickets. If ‘normal’ tickets didn’t cost the earth is would just be brilliant.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Then sit, relax and bask in the smugness that all the other mugs sitting there thinking themselves so superior for being able to afford 1st Class are actually paying several times what you are, for no extra benefit.

Unless they had the foresight to check online to see if the first class tickets were actually cheaper (as they sometimes are between Leeds and London as I have found out) and can sit and relax, smug in the knowledge they actually got cheaper tickets than the plebs in cattle class, and not be getting up and down like a tarts kickers every time a guard walks by.

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

I have never ever seen 1st Class tickets cheaper than Scum Class myself though.

njee20
    Free Member

To be fair, I went to NREs, searched the two stations, chose an arbitrary future date, and the top one was the fare I posted. 90 seconds from reading the post to having the link for the OP. Saved him 3 hours just like that!

Then sit, relax and bask in the smugness that all the other mugs sitting there thinking themselves so superior for being able to afford 1st Class are actually paying several times what you are, for no extra benefit.

You can’t really though can you, because if you get caught you’ll get turfed out, at best! I’d rather just sit in standard and chill out.

From birth until I left Uni I had unlimited free first class rail travel anywhere in the UK, no tickets, just hopped on as I pleased. That made me feel smug. Wish I’d made more of it really!

I have never ever seen 1st Class tickets cheaper than Scum Class myself though.

Yeah it happens, fairly rare though. Stockport to London is often cheaper in first for some reason!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah they are sometimes on the route I take (Leeds or York to Kings Cross). Sometimes they are so little more (just a few £££s) that I get them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can’t really though can you, because if you get caught you’ll get turfed out, at best! I’d rather just sit in standard and chill out.

If it’s somewhere like London to Birmingham, the inspector will only be round once.

GrahamS

You get free papers and pots of tea/coffee in first class don’t cha?

So you could get the same thing by thieving some papers from a news stand, then ordering some coffee in the cafe and running out without paying for it.

Or is that kind of stealing wrong? 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Perth-London, return, 2 adults, £80. Booked in Dec for travel in March.

Elfinsafety Free 1st Class Upgrade:

Then, when the inspector does turn up, you can start swearing loudly until some big bloke chucks you off the train, hopefully with the entire event captured on mobile phone. TJ will present the case for the defence m’lud.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Puplic Transport is indeed a joke of the 19th Centuary, panned out into the 21st Centuary.

And we love it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Public transport is a joke’ is closed to new replies.