Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Public sector workers – how much do you get paid for working boxing day?
  • aracer
    Free Member

I know there are a few nurses, paramedics etc. on here who won’t be on strike. Just wondering like…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Pours another glass*

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t most public sector workers have a day off on Boxing Day ?

Really, I don’t know what the world’s coming to 😐

Sue_W
    Free Member

Pops head round thread door … realises it’s going to end in arguing … hurting too much from post-physio prodding to want to engage … goes back to thread on books (much more enjoyable way to spend my allotted 30 min of t’internet time in deepest Shrewsbury)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sue, make the most of that time! Another Travelodge? 😉 Hope the physio is working….!

downshep

Double time for a PH, no day in lieu. May switch to driving trains through endless tunnels.

amplebrew

There will be a lot of public sector workers who have to work Boxing Day, no matter how much they get paid.

I’m on double time though as it’s a PH, but no day off in lieu.

I’m in Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day and that is not out of choice.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

don’t forget the private sector workers that keep the utilities working….

remember someone has to turn your gas off when you smell it in your house as you are cooking the christmas dinner

Kato

Double time, and no day in lieu

….and that’s double my flat rate, excluding my London weighting so it’s not really even double time

coffeeking
    Free Member

I take the entire Christmas period (22nd to the ~4thish) as part of my annual leave, but my work is technically shut over all the bank holidays anyway. I’m fortunate to have a rather flexible working arrangement.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I do facilities maintenance within the retail sector and if I worked boxing day I would be on double time and time off in lue

Call that treble time

How much is your bank holiday worth to be with your family??????

Sue_W
    Free Member

*thread hijack …

CFH – no, a lovely little b&b who’ve let me use their computer for a bit. That big city of London tomorrow … Physio is helping, but he did warn me it would hurt for a couple of days!

*end of thread hijack*

thegreatape
    Free Member

Double time, same as any other public holiday. Always happy to swap and let my younger childless colleagues rake it in at Christmas though!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Double time, same as any other public holiday. Always happy to swap and let my younger childless colleagues rake it in at Christmas though!

Ah I see, double time isn’t good enough for you ?

Disgraceful 😐

aracer
    Free Member

don’t forget the private sector workers that keep the utilities working….

Nah – this thread was supposed to be for the much maligned public sector lot to prove how reasonable they are.

v8ninety

Same rate as every other day or night on the ambos, which is time and a quarter, worked out from the total percentage of unsociable hours I do, as an overall percentage. No special recognition for bank holidays being more unsociable, unless worked on OT, in which case double time instead of time and a half.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

On-call rate (about time and a third) + lieu day for both 26 & 27th.

totalshell

if you worked for the countries largest retailer and work less than 5 days a week one of which is a monday it isnt considered a public holiday and you ‘d have to work at your normal hourly rate if the store was open and if it wasnt you d have to make the time up..

Northwind

I get paid single time, to stay in bed. If I was working I do believe it’d be double time + a day in lieu. But I wouldn’t give up my boxing day for that tbh.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No commitment these days ernie.

NZCol

I got called out last Xmas day, got paid nothing, no TOIL – nada. Search and rescue. All i got was 2 p1ssed blokes in a firkin inflatable dinghy with no safety gear heading towards Antarctica. I was quite keen to leave them too it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

private sector here. I’m getting 13 whole pounds per hr. I’m well pleased. Not sure what I’m well pleased about though…

legolam
    Free Member

Get paid the same as every other working day, to be the most senior medic in your local hospital, looking after 600+ inpatients. Can’t wait.

Kevevs
    Free Member

oh, that’s double pay by the way, so you can buy/take back all your post christmas shite 😀

julianwilson
    Free Member

Time and two thirds, and techincally a day off in lieu, although for wards and seven-day services, it’s easier to work all your contracted hours every week regardless of the number of public holidays there may be, and then add it onto your leave entitlement.

I know of people in pubs who get triple time for christmas and boxing day, but they are on minimum wage or near enough.

Does al this hoo-ha make public sector pay look a little more reasonable then?

yossarian
    Free Member

Double time for a couple of my staff but I’ll make sure they get an unofficial day off in lieu as well cos I am a good boss and it’s only public money I’m wasting

wisepranker
    Free Member

We get single time for our 12 hour shift and 7.5 hours back as time in lieu so it’s not even double time here 🙁

For me this year that also goes for Christmas Day and New Years Day. All Bank Holidays are paid the same.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Public sector workers – how much do you get paid for working boxing day?’ is closed to new replies.