• This topic has 109 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • PSA/reminder: Dambusters flypast tomorrow (Thursday) Peaks/Ladybower
  • hora
    Free Member

Circa 1pm they are doing the flypast, I’m riding probably start about 10-11am to watch.

Anyone else?

Lifer
    Free Member

Live in the now, man.

shifter
    Free Member

Can’t go but need pics please!

Hope the weather’s ok.

hora
    Free Member

Charging it up 8)

Knowing my expert camera skills I’ll get shots of tail fins disapearing etc etc.

When the Tornado made the low passes a couple of weeks ago and flew past me, level I literally turned to a gibbering mess 😀

Speshpaul

“Live in the now, man. “
    Yeap you are right, its great to be free to do that isn’t it.

benslow
    Free Member

More flypasts plus loads of BBC coverage – HERE

******FLYPASTS******

14th MAY – RAF Scampton 1100hrs

15th MAY – Woodhall Spa 1845hrs

16th MAY – Derwent 1300 hrs,
    Chatsworth 1330hrs, Eyebrook 1400hrs
    16th MAY – Scampton 1915hrs

17th – Lincoln Cathedral 1615hrs

19th – Woodhall Spa 1157.30hrs

I saw the BBMF Lancaster do 3 flypasts on the Beds/ Herts border last Sunday and it was just MAGNIFICENT.

😀

mt
    Free Member

“live in the now man” It’s tomorrow!

wwaswas

“live in the now man” It’s tomorrow!

or yesterday if you read this on Friday.

Tricky thing, time on the internet.

mt
    Free Member

Not in my warped universe 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

I saw the BBMF Lancaster do 3 flypasts on the Beds/ Herts border last Sunday and it was just MAGNIFICENT.

I saw that too, was amazing to see it at low level..

jamiep
    Free Member

Does anyone know if that new book is any good, The Offical Dambusters Expirience?

I am from near Derwent/Chatsworth and my Granddad is keen on this stuff

andeh

I’ll be riding up with my non-biker mate. Strictly toe path.

This might be bollocks, but I have heard rumours that the Vulcan might be joining the flight……I’m taking some clean underwear just incase 😀

nbt

Worth noting this

· The road up from Fairholmes to Derwent Dam will be closed to ALL traffic on the day.
    · The road from the A57 to Fairholmes may be closed if it becomes overly busy such that access to emergency vehicles etc is compromised.
    · Police will enforce parking restrictions on neighbouring roads eg A57 and Bamford.
    · Cancellation: the flypast is dependent on aircraft serviceability and weather conditions may be subject to cancellation.

mintimperial

Yep, riding over from Hope most likely via Edale, if it’s cancelled we’ll still get a decent ride in. Forecast looks ok though.

cp

Arg, I’m going to be in Liverpool with work – what a shame.

brokensoul
    Free Member

Me & the wife are going. We’ll be walking, though.
    If we’re early enough to get up to park at Fairholmes, we’ll be watching from where Crazylegs linked to on the other thread. If not, it’ll be WLT area.

scuttler

I remember the Fiftieth on a beautiful sunny day up on Derwent Edge back in 1993. What an ace day!! Red Arrows performing in the valley, not above it.

mrmoofo

There doesn’t seem to be anything here in the Ruhrgebiet to celibrate this!
    Maybe they will do a ceremonial flooding of the valleys …

Houns

Excellent PSA. I just so happen to be up there tomorrow anyway. Camera is now on charge

hora
    Free Member

Where to park? I was going to park at Mouselden woods (just up from ladybower Inn) ‘should’ be ok?

Excellent PSA.

My pleasure is your treasure 8)

Houns

My pleasure and treasure is the blonde ill be with 😉

davetrave
    Free Member

This might be bollocks, but I have heard rumours that the Vulcan might be joining the flight……I’m taking some clean underwear just incase

As awesome as that would be, I’ve just spoken to the missus, who’s checked with the Ops crew on 617 Sqn – definitely no Vulcan. Will be Lancaster and GR4 only…

belugabob
    Free Member

“live in the now man”

And forget the lessons of the past.

Or, go to the flypast, hear and feel the majesty that is a Lancaster in flight, then carry that in your heart forever – ready to be recalled the instant you hear that terrifically unique sound again.
    And spare a thought for the thousands of aircrew who did what most of us would be to scared to even contemplate.

hora
    Free Member

Just one GR4 or a gaggle (quack)

mjb

They seem to have been practising in pairs.

Anyone know how far down the valley they go before turning around for the second and third runs? Not going to have time to get all the way up to the dam so was thinking of watching from Whin Hill or Bamford Edge.

amodicumofgnar

Did the cycle in thing last time from Edale. Went to the one in 2008, well worth the watch – did so from the just up stream of the Derwent Dam. It’s good as a vantage point but you see relatively little. Above the woods by the dam on the E side of the valley looked to be a good place. You get to see more of the planes coming down the valley. Plenty of people there last time.

Win Hill quite good for watching them exiting out of the valley but you’re not as close to the action. Whinstone Lee Tor also looked to be a reasonable vantage point from pics I’ve seen from last time. Might be worth googling some of the images from the 2008 flypast to see where they were taken from and deciding on where you want to go.

I’m sure there were a few other STW’ers who went last time – might even have been a photo thread.

amodicumofgnar

mjb Last time it was over the bridges on the A57, dropping in from above Cut Gate.

hora
    Free Member

mjb for the practice runs I was on WLT and stw slowrider was on win (but in the trees). From where they came down and arc’d I think you’d be better off standing on WLT as they followed/hugged this contour.

crazy-legs

From 5 years ago:

Taken from HERE

I parked at Snake Inn, rode down Snake Pass and over Lockerbrook then round the res.

The aircraft turn at THIS POINT and the Lanc does two runs from the North heading South and one run from the South heading North.

The Tornadoes (last time) did two runs, both from the North. They dived in from each side and timed it so they overhauled the Lanc right on the dam then pulled up one left, one right.

momo

I saw the Lancaster flying practice runs over Lincoln last Wednesday, might see if I can make it up to the cathedral after work on Friday to catch it again. Magnificent aircraft!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes pictures please, @crazy_legs great photos from last time. Fingers crossed for good weather for you

Have had he pleasure of seeing the BBMF a few times particularly over Dartmouth, wonderful. Show my age a bit but went as a teenager in 70’s to a Spitfire Symporium with Bob-Stamford Tuck and Douglas Bader.

nigelb001
    Free Member

And spare a thought for the thousands of aircrew who did what most of us would be to scared to even contemplate.

Too true!

My father is now 89 and managed to survive numerous sorties in Lancasters during the war. He would love to be able to see this but is ill and can’t travel anymore. So you guys who are going to see this please make sure you post lots of piccies in this thread 😀

A few years ago we were lucky to see the Battle of Britain trio fly low right over our house. That was probably the last time he’ll see one in the flesh. The sound of six Merlin engines was unmistakeable.

davetrave
    Free Member

Supposed to be 2, assuming one doesn’t break down…

hora
    Free Member

Not my pic (but an official MOD pic) there to give you an idea

davetrave
    Free Member

Yay, appointments postponed and day off sorted – will be parking up somewhere on Mortimer Road and running up to WLT via Moscar House. Forecast’s looking pretty OK too…

amodicumofgnar

This was taken from the W bank about level prity much in line with the wing tip in crazylegs shot above.

Ok as a place to see it fly through the dam towers but if going again it would be along the wall back you can see in the picture or where the ones above were taken from. The wood end on the rhs of the pic might be a good place as you’d be close to eye level and looking at the towers.

bounce

That last photo has sold it to me, time for a skive and a ride down Cut Gate from the north I think, forecast is ok too.

andeh

Cut gate might be a bit damp after the biblical rain last night.

How long is it between passes?

crazy-legs

Andeh: about 3-4 mins for it to get down the length of Ladybower, turn and return.

shifter
    Free Member

15th MAY – Woodhall Spa 1845hrs

If the two northbound GRs that just ripped across the Humber Estuary had just come from Woodhall, then I think they came a bit early!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘PSA/reminder: Dambusters flypast tomorrow (Thursday) Peaks/Ladybower’ is closed to new replies.