Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • PSA…Chromecast audio £15 at Currys again…
  • Sui
    Free Member

2 x ordered for free next day delivery.. bargain! That will sort out the old stereos and arguing kids.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Cheers OP, did a click’n’collect on my lunch hour and got 5% off via Topcashback as well.

BTW, if you need a 1.5mm to RCA connector to hook it up to your old radiogram, don’t fork out Currys’ ludicrous 11 quid for one.

failedengineer

Has anyone got this to work with windows media player and/or a Windows phone? I had a go, but didn’t manage it. Mind you, I am very old.

cinnamon_girl

Huge thanks to all from this old and bewildered bimbo, especially Stoner who was exceptionally patient. To Rubber_Buccaneer – thank you kindly for your offer but found some money in my Paypal account so went with Stoner’s link.

Lastly, apologies to Dr P (nice PSA) and, as you were. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

set up should be pretty straightforward when you get it,
    but post up in here if you have any problems.

cinnamon_girl

You’re so kind Stoner, thank you. 8)

DezB
    Free Member

Well, I won’t be bloody helping. hmph!

cinnamon_girl

Love you too Dezzie x

😉

DrP

Hmm…just ordered two more as gifts!!

DrP

BlobOnAStick

it also has a optical output built into the phono port, May need an expensive proprietary cable though.

I haven’t used this, but you may not need the £15 optical link cable thingy that is sold as a chromecast accessory……

Del

Bought 4, Ta for the psa op.
    If anyone is wondering review

fr0sty125
    Free Member

They delivered the TV one instead of the audio one 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

nickjb
    Free Member

They delivered the TV one instead of the audio one

Should be 😀 They are £30

kcr
    Free Member

You definitely don’t need a specific Chromecast cable to use the optical output. Lots of 3.5mm to TOSLINK optical cables on EBay which will work fine.

cinnamon_girl

😉

Clobber
    Free Member

Anyway to get amazon prime music or apple music to use these things yet?

Stoner
    Free Member

postie dun good.

TDK speaker and Chromecast Audio arrived today.

From box-ripping, to streaming music in less than 3mins. Lovely and easy.

Only snag Ive found is that you need a spotify premium account to cast from phone to chromecast, which I’m not about to splash out for.

However, you can cast the Spotify webplayer from a chrome browser tab on the computer without problems, and since I have a chromebook in the kitchen, then that’s sorted.

this little lot is going up on top of the cupboard out of the way.

cinnamon_girl

3 minutes to set up Stoner??? Took me a lot longer due to discovering that a button on the amp needed to be turned off. It’s great though, have been enjoying the new little gizmo. 8)

boblo
    Free Member

I’m not sure what all this is about but ordered one just in case…:-D

Stoner
    Free Member

ps sound quality from that TDK is excellent. I might buy another one for another room.

Del

got mine set up today. surprised they didn’t just team themselves up automatically but it wasn’t that much bother.

cg – make sure you set the wider dynamic range for your amp – best quality. it’s in the device settings accessed through the chromecast app.

cracking little things. well pleased! 8)

Xylene
    Free Member

Any recommendations for powered monitor speakers that could be used for multi room?

cinnamon_girl

Del – thanks for the tip, shall investigate.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Set mine up in the barn today in preparation for my girls party on Friday night. I’m proper impressed, sounds excellent esp with the wider dynamic range button flicked.
    Also much louder than plugging the phone straight into the amp for some reason.

£15 delivered next day …. proper bargain, well done DrP

simondbarnes

Picked one up yesterday. It’s now plugged into an ancient sherwood amp and some equally ancient JPW mini monitors in my bedroom. Already have one in the lounge plugged into an old Marantz PM63KI amp / Mission speakers and have been hoping to pick up a 2nd one on the cheap 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

If we had a few sets of speakers and Chromecasts in different rooms could we stream to all of them and/or just select one set?

simondbarnes

No idea. I’ll try and let you know Mike 🙂

simondbarnes

Only appear to be able to connect to one chromecast at a time from my phone.

Del

you should be able to group them all up if you’re using an android or apple device and the chromecast app. you can’t group them together from the desktop app, for some reason, but once you have configured the group, you can cast to it from the chrome browser on a desktop without any trouble.
    here you go
    with my 4 devices, i have them set up in two groups, one that is all of them, and another that misses out the one in the garage, for instance.
    when i go to cast, i get the 2 groups come up, as well as the individual devices.

miketually
    Free Member

Cool. So with Stoner’s TDK speakers, a multi room setup could be done for £40 a speaker.

slackboy

Cheers for this. I’ve got one plugged into my sonos system (overkill, I know) and now I can listen to iplayer radio via it, which has been bugging me for ages.

great service from Currys as well – I ordered about 5pm and arrived next day

Stoner
    Free Member

Cool. So with Stoner’s TDK speakers, a multi room setup could be done for £40 a speaker.

yes.

Loving it at the moment. bank holiday morning coffee in the kitchen to v loud and clear Nick Cave. 😀

jp-t853

I ordered one on Saturday afternoon and it was delivered on Sunday in a one hour slot to rural Cumbria, I can’t imagine they made much money on it. Works great on my old Klipsch igroove hg speaker dock. Thanks for the psa

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Is there any reason I’d choose a Chromecast over a Neet device?

drewd

The most recent reviews for that Neet device are not very favorable.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. The Chromecast is more limited in its functionality, but it is currently a bit cheaper, has a power supply included and allows multi room support if you bought more than one. The biggest downside for me is that music has to me streamed, so I have had to install Plex so that I can stream my local music rather than just playing it directly. It’s a compromise I am happy to make though.

Stoner
    Free Member

Hah! Twoptwip!

you CAN cast spotify Free mobile to the audio chromecast by using the android “Cast screen” option in the OS pulldown menu screen, rather than try and link the chromcast from within the Spotify app.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Only downside to that is all your notifications, calls, etc will also be ‘cast’. But at least it is there as a last resort

Del

doesn’t that also mean it’s going to your phone, then back up to your network, then to the chromecast(s)?

Stoner
    Free Member

No idea but it actually seems to run better than being cast from a chrome tab

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘PSA…Chromecast audio £15 at Currys again…’ is closed to new replies.