Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • PSA: Visiting USA in next 2 years???
  • nuke

A fee is being introduced on the 8th of September but you can still complete it for free now. Approval lasts 2 years.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

Only takes a few minutes if you can find your passport. Requires only basic info (Don't need to give address/telephone/etc)

simon_g

Ta – going next year. As said, it asks for carrier/address info but it isn't required to complete the application.

Mr_C
    Free Member

Thanks for the reminder – I knew about this but hadn't got round to doing it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'm not allowed anyway, for, ahem, political reasons… 😳

roblerner
    Free Member

I'm not allowed anyway, for, ahem, political reasons…

go on…?

Cheers for the heads up nuke – bunch of us are going in November.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can't discuss it I'm afraid. Politically sensitive. National Security at stake.

hora
    Free Member

Why visit there when there are many fantastic places within 8-12hours flying time throughout the world?

hels
    Free Member

Because the plane needs to refuel on the way to New Zealand.

vinnyeh

Because the plane needs to refuel on the way to New Zealand.

Since AirNZ flies both ways now, strictly speaking that's no answer.

Hora, I'm surprised you ever made it out of the Northern wastelands with that attitude. 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Why visit there when there are many fantastic places within 8-12hours flying time throughout the world?

I take it you have either been to all the fantastic places in the USA or are making some massive sweeping statement with no real evidence.

I know which one I think it is.

Drac

Well I can think of one reason to go and that's that it's cracking place to visit.

Kind of forgot about this charge the Mrs is off to NYC in January

hora
    Free Member

I take it you have either been to all the fantastic places in the USA or are making some massive sweeping statement with no real evidence.

I know which one I think it is

I take it you are Michael Palin with that statement?

I'm surprised you ever made it out of the Northern wastelands with that attitude

Do you know how much I loathe the NWest? 👿

atlaz
    Free Member

The US is a great place for a holiday. I have to go there anyway as my wife is from the states, but it definitely doesn't feel like a chore.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Oh well, it must be me thats going to the US of A on Thursday….Seeya!! 8)

tiger_roach
    Free Member

That link doesn't work for me; how much will the charge be?

johnners
    Free Member

Try this link

It's a bit flaky. I think the fee's going to be $14.

Drac

Yup a whopping $14 so after spending £750+ to get there £9 is going to break the bank.

nuke

As my wife & kids are going as well, it saved me $56 which I thought was worth it. Your choice but this is the final day before the fee is introduced 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Some of the world's most amazing sights are in the US. It has a unique quality of landscape. Of course it's not unique in being unique, if that makes sense, but still 🙂

There are issues tho, land access being one of them. But that is also the case in many other places.

hels
    Free Member

Air NZ might go both ways now (oo-er) but luggage allowance is still more than double via USA (70kgs) than Asia (25gs) so I can take a bike, and it's less time in total and I know the way now !

It's not the fee than concerns me, I went through LAX just after the last attempt to introduce something like this the queues were monumental as opposed to the usual humungous. In the end they had to let the Air NZ passengers through without processing us in or out as the plane was ready and waiting an we would have missed our take-off slot. Its a joke anyway you walk down a corridor, queue for hours, hand over a piece of paper, then walk back through the customs desk, give the piece of paper back, and up the same corridor to the same plane.

Drac

That is a bit more like it Nuke, worth it then.

vinnyeh

A heads up there Hels, AirNZ have now 'rationalised' their luggage allowance- it's the same paltry amount both ways now unfortunately. We always travel through the US, and the luggage allowance was one of the main reasons. Gave me a bloody shock.

LHS
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry about Horas comment, it's safe to say he has an irrational hatred of all things American.

I know its only £9 but still seems a bit unreasonable for a VISA.

Have dual passports myself so i'm alright Jack!

Drac

I know its only £9 but still seems a bit unreasonable for a VISA.

Think I paid £10 for Turkey and that was about 15 years ago now so seems a bargain to me. Like I say people are prepared to be 1,000s for a holiday and then make a fuss over £9.

TooTall
    Free Member

I take it you are Michael Palin with that statement?

No – I'm questioning your travel and experience of the USA. I'm more than happy with mine.

LHS
    Free Member

How much does it cost for a VISA for the UK?

Drac

Nothing I live here.

tails
    Free Member

So the US are going to start charging to get into or pass through the country? If we don't charge we def should could make a fortune.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Do we want a bit of tit for tat? EU should charge.

Edit – ha ha.

hora
    Free Member

I'm more than happy with mine

Who took the jam out of your Donut?

vinnyeh

So the US are going to start charging to get into or pass through the country? If we don't charge we def should could make a fortune.

I think US visa charges might be substantially less than UK ones…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Visiting USA in next 2 years???’ is closed to new replies.