Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PSA – Tyson – More4 22.00
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Should be worth watching.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yeah good PSA,

trailmonkey

saw this advertised but had forgotten about it. thanks for the heads up.

teef
    Free Member

Fantastic – reminded me of the film Raging Bull about Jake LaMotta

King-ocelot
    Free Member

He was such a formidable opponent in his prime, people talk now about his arrest, the ear biting and the spending. But I hope he is remembered for the knockouts in his early 20’s. When I see those clips were his 1st wife is talking about his depression on a chat show, I feel he looks more humiliated than humbled by it all. He did right to leave boxing when he did.

DezB
    Free Member

He did right to leave boxing when he did

Surely way too late? Losing to a bunch of non-entities isn’t the best way to bow out.

warton
    Free Member

If he had kept his head together he would of been the best ever.

I didn’t see last night, but I remember watching a documentary years ago about him. the influence of Cus d’amato was huge, and the way Don King poached him after Cus’s death was pretty disgusting.

EDIT: just done a bit of research and King didn’t get him till two years after Cus’s death, I thought I heard he turned up at his funeral to poach him,…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The 2 ‘non entities’ were after he was declared bankrupt in 2003. They were only ever for the purse. Being beaten twice in a row by two different fighters humbled him, he found other ways to earn money. He could have gone on for a few more years in the ring but didn’t, I think it was the right time.

loddrik
    Free Member

I don’t think we’ll ever see another heavyweight anywhere near as good as he was in his prime. Bad decisions ruined his career, not other fighters.

DezB
    Free Member

King didn’t get him till two years after Cus’s death

Only because Bill Cayton and Jim Jacobs kept him away. Maybe it was Jim Jacob’s funeral King was at?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

King went to Jacobs funeral and allegedly gave gifts to Tysons family and those closest to him.

Garry_Lager

I don’t think we’ll ever see another heavyweight anywhere near as good as he was in his prime. Bad decisions ruined his career, not other fighters.

In a way, other fighters did have a negative influence on his career, certainly on his legacy. You need other great boxers, at the same weight, if you want to be considered great yourself. Tyson never had that. As a result, he doesn’t crack the top 10 all time great heavyweights because he never beat anyone who was really any good, in their prime.

If he’d been around in the 60s/70s he’d be more highly regarded. Although whether Iron Mike would have had the heart to beat the legends from that era is another question (no way IMHO).

You can only beat what’s put in front of you.

Iron Mike demolished every opponent put in front of him on his way to unifying the world heavyweight title for the first time in ages.

He was awesome to watch in his prime.

DezB
    Free Member

Wasn’t heart he lacked, just mental stability. I remember watching the Douglas fight in amazement as all the things that seemed to come natural to him (the elusiveness, boobing & weaving into range) had just disappeared. A real shame as he could have beaten the “greats” of his era (Lewis, Holyfield) if he’d had their type of mentality.

Junkyard
    Free Member

people talk now about his arrest, the ear biting and the spending. But I hope he is remembered for the knockouts in his early 20’s

Good point we often overlook the good points of convicted rapists and they often get an undeserved bad press let’s right that wrong eh 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Well I’ve only got the boxing on video, so that’s what I’ll remember 😉

Pook

BLOODY DELAYED PSA!!!!

Tony Robinson never fought Tyson.

Kevevs
    Free Member

watched this. Reminded me how devestating a fighter he was, pure focussed animal agression. The interesting stuff was his background and how he grew up scared and frightened and bullied, fought back, and how he found a mentor that turned him around from a path of self-destruction. I thought he was very honest and surprisingly articulate, you could see how emotions could easily take over him though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Tyson – More4 22.00’ is closed to new replies.