Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PSA: Tony Robinson walking ancient trackways
  • cinnamon_girl

First episode features the Icknield Way and the second The Ridgeway. Expect scenery in abundance although there could have been more history. The Icknield Way episode features a magnificent goshawk, no flying display from him unfortunately but the falcon is pretty impressive nevertheless.

Available on demand, Icknield Way:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-ancient-tracks-with-tony-robinson/on-demand/64588-001

The Ridgeway:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-ancient-tracks-with-tony-robinson/on-demand/64588-002

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks !

jamj1974

I’ll have to have a look at that! Cheers CG!

jekkyl

Just settling in to watch this now. What’s coming up you reckon? Offa’s Dyke’s gotta be in there and the SDW. Any in Scotland?

senorj

Nice one.
    I do a bit of riding around the Herts. stretch of the Icknield way – it’s lovely.

petec
    Free Member

good program on the ridgeway – you don’t realise how lovely it is around here

all the ‘goring’ stuff was in Streatley though! 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Offa’s Dyke’s gotta be in there and the SDW.

I doubt SDW will be in there as its not an ancient track.

I suppose there must of been a track of some sort along Offa’s Dyke, but it not really a trade route track like Icknield way/Ridgeway.

I’d hazard a guess we might get some sort of Pilgrimage route either to Canterbury or Saint Davids but thats more “middle age” than “ancient”.

To be honest he’s done the 2 big ones I’d think of as ancient, and to some extent they are the same track, the ridgeway finishing approximately where the Icknield way starts.

Could do a Roman road, like the A5 watling street I suppose but not really in the same vein as the previous episodes.

Dorset Ridgeway is one Julia Bradbury did on the BBC version.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Good guess, I was nt far off with “Pilgrimage route either to Canterbury or Saint Davids”

jambalaya
    Free Member

NDW / Pilgrims Way is certainly old / ancient. Anyway time to watch and enjoy these before worrying about what’s next

globalti
    Free Member

I lived on the Icknield Way in a village called Chinnor as a child. The chalk was horribly sticky in winter and made cycling a nightmare. In summer it dried out and became hard as rock; I actually snapped the rear axle on my Raleigh ten-speed riding it on that stuff.

The drove roads are obvious and well known. I’d be more interested in a TV show following some of the lost packhorse trails of northern England like the Magna Via to Halifax.

johnnystorm

I suppose there must of been a track of some sort along Offa’s Dyke, but it not really a trade route track like Icknield way/Ridgeway.

That’s probably what Offa’s Dyke really is.

cinnamon_girl

If you’re interested in ancient trackways then I can highly recommend this book. Available for £11.68 posted from Wordery:

https://wordery.com/ancient-trackways-of-wessex-hw-timperley-9781845880064?cTrk=MjYxMTcwNTF8NTgwZjIwOTU0MDNlZDoxOjE6NTgwZjIwOGMzMjU5ODYuMDM1NzAxMjg6Njk4NGUzZGE%3D

yossarian
    Free Member

I lived on the Icknield Way in a village called Chinnor as a child. The chalk was horribly sticky in winter and made cycling a nightmare.

No way Globalti. So did I. If you are late 30s / early 40s we probably crossed paths.

The chalk was fun in the winter. Got a big scar on my chin after a crash coming down Donkey Lane at speed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Its an interesting programme, made all the more enjoyable by Tony. However I’m not getting this filming nonsense where the camera pans on him whilst he’s walking along not saying anything. Thats a pointless waste of film, more of the countryside and history and current use of the “Ways” please, ta.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Tony Robinson walking ancient trackways’ is closed to new replies.