• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • PSA T-Mobile capping internet usage to 500mb
  • retro83
    Free Member

Just a heads up on this for any T-Mob users. Data usage is now going to be capped to 500mb.

So Whats Changing? – From 1st February 2011 we will be aligning our fair use policies so our mobile internet service will have fair use of 500MB.

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=home&cat=DATA_CHANGES

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/discussions/index?page=forums&topic=8010380bff24f8012d6da8429f007cff

Yes, I’m sure it’s in their T&C that they can change it, still poor form on their part.

glenh
    Free Member
    retro83
    Free Member

😆

Haze

Hmm, could you terminate the contract without penalty if you could prove the change is of “material detriment”?

For example, if you regularly need over 500mb forcing you to take out an additional internet booster to avoid restricted service.

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty sure that people used that method to get out of orange contracts when they did the same.

500Mb seems to be becoming the norm now though. That said, I’ve never been close to using it but I do have wifi for when at home.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Either way, it’s a bit tight. I just got a new contract with 1gb a month, I don’t seem to use that much but wouldn’t fancy being charged for going over.

GrahamS

O2 did the same thing: iPhone tariffs changed from Unlimited Internet to 500MB.

Funny innit, they try for years to get people to use 3G data, investing billions in networks and infrastructure, then when demand finally picks up they say “Woah there, we can’t handle that much traffic” 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

No, they say – whoa, now you’re hooked, we can make more money from you 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Too true Clubber.

poppa
    Free Member

I expect this problem to get worse, and more widespread amongst the service providers in the future.

retro83
    Free Member

brant – Member

Some stuff on Bitterwallet

http://www.bitterwallet.com/t-mobile-reduce-data-allowance-for-customers-from-1st-february

Cheers for that link Brant.

D0NK

“Fair use” really twists my star fangled nuts. Loathsome phrase, “you can have as much of our product as you want for £5 fair use*”

*aslong as you don’t have more than what we consider to be £5s worth**

**What £5 is actually worth may be changed by us at anytime.

retro83
    Free Member

…and they’ve backed down 🙂

There will be no change to the data packages for existing customers for the duration of their contract and we apologise for any confusion caused. The revision to the Fair Use Policy is designed to ensure an improved quality of service for all mobile internet users.”

Lysa Hardy, VP, T-Mobile UK
    http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=home&cat=DATA_CHANGES

wrightyson
    Free Member

And to be fair unless youre in a City or somewhere of a reasonable size the 3g is pretty shit!!!

CountZero

It’s difficult to see how anyone could use a smartphone properly and manage to keep their cellular data usage well under 500Mb. I try to keep mine as low as possible by just doing a bit of browsing, and I never download sizable files, but my usage this month is already over 80%, at 409Mb, and I have until the 16th. Thinking of dropping my contract down a level and upping my data to 1Gb.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member
    markgraylish
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

It’s difficult to see how anyone could use a smartphone properly and manage to keep their cellular data usage well under 500Mb. I try to keep mine as low as possible by just doing a bit of browsing, and I never download sizable files, but my usage this month is already over 80%, at 409Mb, and I have until the 16th. Thinking of dropping my contract down a level and upping my data to 1Gb.

Eh? I’ve got a 500mb contract and I use way less than 100mb a month. You must do an enormous amount of browsing!
    (Having said that, I’ve got t’internet in the office and wifi at home)

spooky_b329

Eh? I’ve got a 500mb contract and I use way less than 100mb a month.

Similar here, 3gb T-Mobile contract, play with phone throughout day on 3g, when I was checking it I was clocking up 300mb ish. I only watch youtube etc when I have a wifi connection though. Emails/news/weather all updating hourly.

spooky_b329

Eh? I’ve got a 500mb contract and I use way less than 100mb a month.

Similar here, 3gb T-Mobile contract, play with phone throughout day on 3g, when I was checking it I was clocking up 300mb ish. I only watch youtube etc when I have a wifi connection though. Emails/news/weather all updating hourly.

Drac

Never even use anywhere near 100mb never mind 500mb.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘PSA T-Mobile capping internet usage to 500mb’ is closed to new replies.