• This topic has 34 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • PSA Superstar Kevlar pads
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

4 packs for £15 with XMAS12 code

swisstony
    Free Member

no shimano XT etc 🙁

edward2000
    Free Member

Are they better than Avid standard pads? I haven’t tried a pad better than Avid pads yet. I tried the Uberbike ones and consequently set fire to them.

smatkins1
    Free Member

What are Kevlar pads?

I know what Organic and Sintered pads are and what they are for… but Kevlar???

thegreatape
    Free Member

In case you get shot in the caliper.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know what Organic and Sintered pads are and what they are for… but Kevlar???

They’re made from a similar material to the organic pads so have similar power, but the kevlar fibers reinforce them and make them harder so they wear about the same rate as sintered pads.

Great if you live somewhere that eats pads but don’t want to comprimise on stopping power.

Northwind

Sort of inbetween the two really, good allrounder option ime. I just bought a bunch in the last sale at £20 for four, ah well.

cp

so they wear about the same rate as sintered pads.

I find wear in general somewhere between organic and sintered, and wear in gritty conditions more at the organic end of things than sintered.

Good compound though, I quite like it.

Northwind

Yeah, I’d agree with that, some grit can cut them up pretty fast. But on the plus side they do have very grippy backing plates 😆 Don’t ask me how I know, I just know.

smatkins1
    Free Member

They’re made from a similar material to the organic pads so have similar power, but the kevlar fibers reinforce them

So would there ever be a reason to buy Organic pads instead of Kevlar pads?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Are the Superstar pads still marginally thicker than most other pads? When I got Avid ones previously they were always thick enough in comparison to the OEM ones that setup was a total pain in the arse because of the lack of clearance with them. How do they compare to OEM Shimano?

cp

Yes, Kevlar can be a bit squealy, esp. when wet.

organic are generally pretty quiet.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Ordered, thanks. I don’t mind if they are a little noisy, I imagine that they can’t be any louder than sintered.

cp

Are the Superstar pads still marginally thicker than most other pads? When I got Avid ones previously they were always thick enough in comparison to the OEM ones that setup was a total pain in the arse because of the lack of clearance with them. How do they compare to OEM Shimano?

Never had an issue with Avid Juicy or Shimano 785 XT style

breadcrumb

How would these fair at the Strathpuffer?

portlyone

I have used the red/kevlar ones and have no misgivings. Using sintered over winter, red just came to the end of their long life.

binners

Take a box full. They’re great pads for stopping, but they don’t last 5 minutes in winter filth. I run them all summer, then switch to sintered for the winter

nuke

Good psa particlarly as I missed all the others. Ta!

cp

I’d use sintered, and pre-bed in a few pairs before you go.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thery’re not quite as powefull, I think uberbike even have a softer-than-organic ‘race’ copmpound as well with even more power. Organic are also cheaper.

When I lived in North Yorkshire and the Peak district I was much fussier about compounds, living down south with just normal mud to deal with I’m much less bothered and usualy just use organic as they last long enough not to be objectionable. Organic pads in the Peaks I’d take spare pads on a ride and actualy expect to use them.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Most educational! I’ll have to buy a pair and give um a go.

Northwind

binners – Member

Take a box full. They’re great pads for stopping, but they don’t last 5 minutes in winter filth.

That depends on your filth tbh- I use the kevlars year round, only ever ridden in a couple of places that burn them fast, my routine forth/tweed valley mud doesn’t stress them.

steveh

I tried some and had very significant rotor wear over a couple of pairs, friends have had the same so I’ve gone back to sintered.

breadcrumb

Thanks guys, I’ve always used sintered at the puffer, just thought if kevlar would do I’d get some whilst they’re cheap.

Hopefully SS will have an offer on sintered too.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

would have thought sintered pads wear a disk more than other compounds.
    I’m sure some disc’s actually say not to use sintered.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I thought uberbikes race matrix were more durable than organic?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I find ss kevlars a great pad in the dry, but rapidly lose their top end in the wet, and get noisy too. When the muck comes, I find they don’t last any better than normal organics. I tend to save them for dry weather only.

Northwind

thegreatape – Member

I thought uberbikes race matrix were more durable than organic?

Don’t know about durability but mine went in the bin after about 40 miles, because they were so ridiculously unpredictable. Like, throw on the brakes before a corner, nothing happens. Next corner, lock up both ends, never felt anything like it. Though to be fair, they did OK for gentle use, it was only when they got properly hot that they were shit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound good. I only decided to try them after positive comments on here.

fbk
    Free Member

Don’t worry – I’ve only used Race Matrix pads for the last 2 year. Great in the UK and the Alps with predictable power and very little noise. IME anyway 🙂

edit – re-reading Northwind’s post, I guess the only time the Racematrix pads have let me down was on a big Welsh descent, with a 29er and 160mm rotors and XT brakes, so they can get overheated. I’m not sure any other compound would’ve fared much better though.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Northwind must have just fitted them wrong then, probably put the front ones at the back and vice versa.

fbk
    Free Member

Yeah. Or upside down maybe – they don’t like that!

Northwind

😆 It was alps stuff that showed them up. Nothing too severe, but long. I ended up swapping back to superstar kevlars at the lunch break and carried on doing the same sort of riding for the rest of the week without any of the same issues.

But they were fine for the test rides I did back home, to be fair to them.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve only had them one ride, so I’ll see how they go. Don’t imagine I’ll be in the Alps anytime soon 🙁

fbk
    Free Member

I was tempted to try the Kevlar pads with this offer (stopped using SS a while back for various reasons) but no XT – shame as I don’t need any Avids at the mo.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘PSA Superstar Kevlar pads’ is closed to new replies.