Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • PSA – Space Dive, Felix Baumgartner. BBC2 8:30pm – Red Bull Stratos
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Should be good!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tonight??

Excellent PSA

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry yes tonight 4th Nov.

fadda

Great PSA! I know where I’ll be at 8:30 this evening!

alpin
    Free Member

you got a link?

Cougar

higthepig
    Free Member

Bump!

Gary_C

Oof! What to watch ?

How Britain Worked is on Channel 4, 8 till 9…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Alpin – Usually the number 2 button on your remote 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bump’idge

davidjones15
    Free Member

Alpin – Usually the number 2 button on your remote

I bet you a virtual fiver it’s not. 😉 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

Top PSA.

P20

Just found this hopping through channel guide. I’d have been gutted if I’d missed it.

crazy-legs

My HD feed has died, I’m having to watch it on paupers TV. 🙁

davidjones15
    Free Member

That’s about as squeaky bum time a moment as I’ve seen recently. 😯

benz
    Free Member

What…cut main chute away in error……ouch!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just imagine what doing this in 1960 was like ?

He broke the sound barrier whereas his predessor in 1960 did not as at the time no one was sure what would happen if he did

andyl
    Free Member

is his fear of the suit due to claustrophobia/feeling of restriction?

CountZero

Phew! Excellent TV, showing all the stress and trauma going on in the background. Having done all the nutty things he has, it’s amazing that Felix had such issues; I guess it’s the closed-in nature of the suit and helmet. Loved his mum, though, what a lovely lady. 😀

greggparker9
    Free Member

Huge balls but massive diva!!

glupton1976
    Free Member

I thought that whilst the documentary was great, it wasnt a patch on watching the thing live on a shonky internet stream.

bikebouy
    Free Member

100 percent awesomeness.

Transfixed throughout the programme.

That jump out of the pod….. Dear God.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Even more epic knowing what happened when the live feed was cut.

mikey74
    Free Member

I know it’s not quite the same, but I remember that brilliant programme where James May went up in the U2 plane to 72,000ft: He had to wear a pressure suit, essentially the same as the original astronauts, and he found it incredibly claustrophobic. He, like Felix, had a bit of a tantrum and they had to shut the camera off.

Great programme: He did come across as a bit of a diva, though, although ole Col. Joe came across as a top bloke.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

is his fear of the suit due to claustrophobia/feeling of restriction?

Guess I wasnt feeling it as most of the ‘issues’ came across as contrived to add a feeling of jeopardy to something where you know the outcome is successful. Like the ‘potential’ effects of the sound barrier-at that altitude with such thin air effects were going to be minimal and I didnt buy how ‘unknown’ it was when we’ve had high altitude supersonic aircraft flying for 50 years.

Not belittling his bravery or the achievement, just the drama in the programme.

cynic-al
    Free Member

When they say he broke the speed of sound, is it not higher in the thinner air up there?

chiefgrooveguru
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Guess I wasnt feeling it as most of the ‘issues’ came across as contrived

I thought it was great TV. The issues all seemed very very real to me, that moment where the guy got Hypoxia, passed out, then fell unconcious out of the aeroplane for instance!

warton
    Free Member

Brilliant programme I though, but my word, $11 million?

god knows what was going through his mind when he was spinning that quickly

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I know it’ll be on iplayer, but is it repeated on any normal BBC channels so I can record it properly?

crazy-legs

I know it’ll be on iplayer, but is it repeated on any normal BBC channels so I can record it properly?

Repeated tonight on BBC2 about 11pm.

andyrm
    Free Member

What…cut main chute away in error……ouch!

That footage sent chills right through me. We’ve all had those moments when riding where it goes a bit sketchy and you know a crash is imminent – nasty, slow mo kind of thing. God only knows how that must have felt!!

tonyd

Great documentary. I have to agree with the comments about him being a bit of a diva and the added drama.

One thing that struck me was that, while his achievements are very impressive and his cojones muy grande, he was really just the monkey in a suit. He took a year off because he wasn’t happy with the suit FFS, yet the project continued – did anyone not think they had someone else lined up to jump?

mikey74
    Free Member

I guess the guy who they got in to test the suit during his absence would have gone up, if Felix had pulled out completely.

Just trying to put myself in Felix’ shoes for a minute: Once he is up there, he is on his own, and if he messed up he was dead. Therefore he had to be sure that he could control his freefall. It was clear in the programme that he didn’t feel he had the level of control he needed with the pressure suite on, which made him understandably nervous.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

it never actually mentioned how he managed to come out of the rotational spin – and why wasn’t the little parachute thing deployed?

anyone know?

bikebouy
    Free Member

My angle on the whole expedition:
    I sit sometimes for 3+ hours in one go at my office desk, that feels traumatic to me, but the safety net I have is I can go get a tea and have a shit, wander around then sod off for lunch, hang around chatting to girls, you know the sort of thing.
    I don’t think I could sit in a pod for 3 hours, on my own looking out as the sky falls away, through the clouds, then up into nothingness with the only outcome being the fact that if I don’t like it I have to jump out, this, this alone scares the (tight) pants off me.
    As for the diva, well nahh I don’t think he is, the year off was obviously planned in as he had other commitments and the delays in build brought about that window.
    Changing the PM half way through the program was ill conceived but rightly justified by RedBull. That alone sends shivers down a/the team which are hard to reform again escalating costs and delays in build seemed the right thing to do for them.
    As they said, building something new for this type of event was always going to cost.. RedBull stood by the project, could have been easy to pull out at any time.
    Transfixed I was.

But I still can’t bring myself to buy a can of RB.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think he should get a medal for having to deal with those people in the control room.

It was interesting that although he jumped from higher he was actually in free fall for less time.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t care for the whole thing.

It’s been billed as some kind of major human achievement, when in reality it’s that bloke indulging himself and a marketing stunt. And similar things were done 50 years ago. Struggling to get excited about it.

Plus he went AWOL in the middle, jeopardised his team’s hard work without even talking to them about it. Sorry, but what a drama queen. Yes it’s tough, but people went into space half a century ago with primitive technology, they just got on with their job without histrionics. And there are people doing their duty on battlefields the world over being shot at and blown up, and they just crack on knowing they might die.

It’s all a bit narcissistic imo. It’s so that HE can be the record breaker.

mikey74
    Free Member

Aren’t the vast majority of human achievements about individuals “indulging” themselves in some way?

As they explained in the programme: All the original pioneers were pilots, who were use to operating in similar conditions and wearing pressure suits; logging thousands and thousands of hours in such equipment. Felix was use to being able to feel his surrounds, allowing him to judge what to do, by feeling the air around him. The pressure suite took all that away from him.

molgrips
    Free Member

Aren’t the vast majority of human achievements about individuals “indulging” themselves in some way?

I dunno, are they?

Good achievements usually achieve something worthwhile for more than one person, no?

I’d love to make an attempt on the record for circumnavigating the world by bike. Anyone want to give me a shedload of money and support? I can have an emotional wobble half way round if you like? Maybe some teary hysterical video diaries sent from some dark jungle via a generously donated satellite phone? That’d be great TV.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Space Dive, Felix Baumgartner. BBC2 8:30pm – Red Bull Stratos’ is closed to new replies.