Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • PSA (sort of) A scientific experiment – tire rolling resistance
  • big_scot_nanny

In all the snow we had recently, it gave me occasion to ride different bikes/ tire combos depending on conditions. Everything from proper road tires to Big Betty FRs. On the latter, it was striking just quite how bad they were to ride up the hill home on the road once the sow was cleared. Methought I had a flat tire they were sooooo draggy.

Anyway, in the spirit of public service, a quick graphical representation of the analysis is as follows. Good god, those big Betty’s grip, but they are bloody awful for normal riding!

The last bit of my ride is down a short steep ramp into the car park underneath the flat that slopes up the other way more gently. I have to be static at the top to open the door, so pretty much a consistent methodology.

big_scot_nanny

Oh ****, I thought I’d rotated those images, sorry!

However, it is amazing how much drag there is on those big tires. Really staggering.

Ah, I’m a dead good scientist me! 🙄

kev

richmars

Pressure?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell you, you did it all wrong and big fat hoofing tyres should be used everywhere in all conditions pumped up to 2 psi 😯

big_scot_nanny

Hmm, pressure, good point. road tires at 95psi, the rest all at 35. so still reasonably consistent.

richmars. Were you on the panel of my thesis viva many years ago?

“so, Mr Nanny, tell me, what does your Spearman’s Rank Correlation analysis tell us”

“25”

“yes, but what does it tell us?”

“25”

😆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘PSA (sort of) A scientific experiment – tire rolling resistance’ is closed to new replies.