Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • PSA: Sky have a free Wifi Booster if you are one of their broadband customers
  • RooleyMoor
    Free Member

http://www.sky.com/products/kit/wireless-booster/

It also works as an on-demand connector!

Apologies if it has been posted before.

Looks like the ‘free’ bit runs until 30th Jan.

albino
    Free Member

THanks for that – Ordered.
    Wifi in the garage now! 🙂

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

got mine today, now have full strength upstairs!

PiknMix
    Free Member

You also get a free new router if you are using an old blue bradband one.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

yep, thry are rolling out the SKY Hubs, which are OK

righog
    Free Member

Cheers, ordered 😀

StuF

nice one, ordered. thanks

zilog6128

Ta OP. Not very often you get something for nothing from that lot!

Android
    Free Member

Cool, Thanks OP.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh me too.. TVM

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looks very similar to something I set up at work last week. Good little bit of kit.

razorrazoo

Ordered.

Also worth noting that as an HD customer I’ve just been able to upgrade to 3D and Extra services free as well. Triple win.
    😀

rondo101
    Free Member

Ta OP. Not very often you get something for nothing from that lot!

More often than I’d like with their broadband it’s nothing for something as the service is very up & down. O2 were leagues better.

martinhutch

Cheers. They’re sending me a new hub and say I can order the booster free if I still have blackspots.

Never had any trouble with Sky Broadband – most reliable I’ve ever encountered.

wrightyson
    Free Member

For the love of god I’m struggling like hell to order one! Keeps giving me the free hub but charging twenty quid for the booster!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

For the love of god I’m struggling like hell to order one! Keeps giving me the free hub but charging twenty quid for the booster!

Managed to order the booster for free but no free hub. 😐

Has been by far the most reliable of all broadband supplies I’ve had, much as I hate to admit it.

Cougar

Keeps giving me the free hub but charging twenty quid for the booster!

Care to swap?

ketchup
    Free Member

Cheers mate I’ve got a new hub on its way. 😀

Wrightyson you’ve got to wait a week between getting the new hub and ordering the booster apparently. Hopefully there’s still some left in a weeks time.

pk13

just a tip, but get in fast folks they have ran out/running out 😉
    and if you can upgrade to the white hub for free then do so as its far better than the older slim black ones

jools182
    Free Member

I can’t seem to get the free booster

ordered a new hub for free but they want £20 for the booster

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup after three different departments on the phone I now have the new hub on its way which should have a better range. Then as above if its no good you get the booster for free.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Aaah, I’ve got a new hub coming, but no intention of using it. Generally the provider branded routers are massively locked down, so opening ports and disabling SIP ALG is a right PITA or impossible. I’ll stick with my Netgear DGND2200 thanks.
    Hopefully I’ll still be able to grab the booster, which is what I really wanted!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

The new hub is black.. The SR102, which has inbuilt support for Fibre. No need for a BT engineer visit to install it.

razorrazoo

Yup after three different departments on the phone I now have the new hub on its way which should have a better range. Then as above if its no good you get the booster for free.

I’ve just had to do this as my router was an old one. My signal is OK anyway (just wanted the booster for summer garden wifi).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just an update to day I received my new Sky SR102 router, but there’s no way to disable SIP ALG, which means my work VOIP phone doesnt work, as I expected.
    So I’ll have to wait a few more days to just get the booster like I wanted to originally. *sighs* 🙄

Cougar

How much do you want for it?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Dunno mate. I cant actually see where the username and password are stored in the backup file, so I don’t know at the moment how anyone else would be able to use it properly on their SKY connection.
    At the moment Im using it as a wired WiFi repeater upstairs.

martinhutch

New hub is very nice! Seems to have better coverage than the previous one. Might still ask for the booster though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just picked mine up. Looks a nice bit of kit. Plenty of wired ports which is good as I’d rather hard wire the tv/Xbox etc. Might also go for the booster as wifi in the garden for summer spotify would be great..

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve replaced my Sky hub with an Asus router. The wifi on the Sky hub is rubbish which is why they’re palming out these boosters.

Cougar

I cant actually see where the username and password are stored in the backup file

IIRC, historically it was based on the s/n of the router rather than unique to the line. To wit, all Sky routers work on all Sky lines and, without a bit of hackery, none of the others do.

I think, anyway.

somouk
    Free Member

IIRC, historically it was based on the s/n of the router rather than unique to the line. To wit, all Sky routers work on all Sky lines and, without a bit of hackery, none of the others do.

I think, anyway.

It’s a hash of the mac address of the router and yeah, all sky routers typically work on all sky lines. I wish they would move away from the MER authentication to make it easier for people to move away from their routers.

racefaceec90

i vowed NEVER to buy/sign up to anything sky (due to a certain mr murdoch).

am afraid i gave in though to getting a proper broadband connection (it’s cheaper a month (unlimited) for first 12 than 3 mobile that i was on (that was 15gb limit a month).

also the staff have been very helpful when i had any issues (someone from sky did ring me up last week,asking if i wanted a free booster.at the time i said no,but have changed my mind and just ordered one (not that the signal is rubbish tbh).it’s like night has become day speed wise (was at maybe 250kbps-300 if i was lucky 😯

Flaperon

Yeah, sadly, I also vowed never to buy anything Murdoch related (except The Times) but my stamina only lasted so long. About as long as “we can give you your line rental free for the first year, Fibre Pro for £25/month, and a £70 credit to your account”.

I hate myself sometimes.

theotherjonv

Not with sky and no intention in joining them either, but interested in these boosters.

Will they work with a standard shop bought router? And anyone know what they actually are / got a link to an aftermarket version of it?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cougar and somouk,

Im currently using a self sourced Netgear DGN2200 router with the username & password pulled from the backup file from the original SKY(Sagem?) router.
    When I’ve saved the backup files from the new SR102 router, there is no trace of the original username and password. There was a different one which I found within the file, but didnt work with the Netgear.

Flaperon
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quick question…

Has anyone in a similar situation to me (Sky line rental, TV, Broadband, normal TV package, etc) manage to squeeze the hub out of Sky for free? I managed to order the Wifi Extender/Booster which arrived the other day but can’t wangle a hub online (the booster seems sort of set up to work better with the hub)? Is a phone call worth a go?

somouk
    Free Member

Im currently using a self sourced Netgear DGN2200 router with the username & password pulled from the backup file from the original SKY(Sagem?) router.
    When I’ve saved the backup files from the new SR102 router, there is no trace of the original username and password. There was a different one which I found within the file, but didnt work with the Netgear.

There is no record of it within the router. The best way to find it is using a wireshark session to capture the details being sent by the router on startup.

Have a google, there are a few guides about. It adds the username/password in as a DHCP option so you’ll need a router that is capable of sending that option.

martinhutch

DD – I had the old thin black router, the website offered to swap it for the new hub FOC when I tried to order the booster. The idea was that if the new hub improved range, I might not need the booster. Arrived yesterday.

So yes, it might well be worth a call.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Sky have a free Wifi Booster if you are one of their broadband customers’ is closed to new replies.