Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PSA Schwalbe Snow Stud Wired Tyre 26er £15
  • mattyfez

Anyone tried these, very tempted at the price considering the prices of higher end studded tyres, but mixed reviews onlive – are they worth bothering with?

Was thinking of throwing a par on my spare wheels as I live on a bit of a hill (tarmac) which will get a bit hairy in the next few weeks.

Snow stud at onone

Bez

Yes, I’ve used them on my commuter in ice and snow, they’re excellent: grip on icy roads is obviously a in whole different league to non-studded tyres and in my usage I didn’t find them noticeably more draggy than my normal Big Apples. Plus they sound like frying bacon when they’re rolling. Mmm.

Northwind

Aye, they’re good at the job (they’re a “deflate if you want studs, inflate if you don’t” type. **** all use for mountain biking though, if that was part of your thinking…

MoreCashThanDash

Big thread on studded tyres yesterday if you try a search

trail_rat
    Free Member

not sure what they are aimed at – i found them helish draggy on the road and not nearly as grippy as my marathon winters (which have twice as many studs and a nice sticky compound)

and then off road they were no where near as good as real ice spikers in cutting through the gloop mud or snow….

but they are cheap and better than falling over on slight icy surfaces and if theres one thing we can all agree on stw loves cheap

munrobiker
    Free Member

I borrowed a set of those for the Strathpuffer and they were useless. Because there’s no central spikes if it is icy then you have no traction uphill, and if you go into an icy corner and lean in the middle gives way so fast the spikes have no chance to grab so you crash anyway. You may as well run normal tyres.

trail_rat
    Free Member

pretty much my experiance luke…. i even ran my marathon winters at the puffer in preferance to these …..

Northwind

trail_rat – Member

not sure what they are aimed at

Basically people commuting frequently in snow and ice. It’s all pressure dependent, at higher pressures the spikes don’t touch the ground much so they’re faster, if you want the spikes in play for a bad day you drop the pressures. Pretty effective for corrugated/packed snow etc. But totally useless offroad because if the pressures are low enough for the spikes to work, you’ll instantly pinchflat.

They’re good at their job but it’s very specific.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how ever the marathon winter does that job much better imo and is a faster tire to boot/better on wet greasey roads / wet leaves/ – and can even handle offroad while hard enough to grip on ice…..

either that or i levitated round the puffer course for 24 hours

the snow stud is like some early 90s tire someone had left over with some studs pressed in … it wasnt a very good tire in the 90s without the studs and its not a very good tire now with studs in …

but i reitterate – its cheap and better than walking…..

Northwind

Marathon winter is nothing like as good on snow ime.

mattyfez

It’s just as i’ll be commuting on my MTB to the railway station, a 5 min ride but it’s all downhill tarmac, so I figured they might be an idea to bung on my spare crappy wheels for occasional use.

Ice spike pro look good, but not worth the money for such occasional use I don’t think?

MrAgreeable

Me and a mate used them for commuting during last winter’s cold snap. On the first ride with them we rode past scenes of utter carnage on our local Sustrans route (which thankfully they’ve since started gritting) without any bother at all. You don’t have to muck about with pressures, just run them at about 60 psi and the studs will catch when you corner.

They’re not a proper mountain bike tyre, but for £15 an end, for something that most people are probably only going to get a couple of weeks’ use out of per year, they do the job.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PSA Schwalbe Snow Stud Wired Tyre 26er £15’ is closed to new replies.