Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PSA. Scalextric demolition derby/lego set. £99.99 to £39.99 in Argos.
  • rockhopper70

Just reserved one of these for my son who loves scalextric and lego.
    Even for just the cars, this is a great price.
    I think I have inadvertently reserved two in halifax so if anyone wants the code for a set to collect by close of business tomorrow, let me know.

warton
    Free Member

does anyone know if these are compatible with the ‘proper’ stuff i.e do normal cars fit this track, will the track fit onto other track? may be a great starter set for my son if so

zilog6128

It’s proper Scalextric but not digital so fully compatible on that basis. The reviews are a bit scathing but the Lego gimmick makes it worth a punt for £40 I reckon!

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting – my kids are into lego and I’m sure they’d love scalextric – but I found this review, which may explain why it’s half price:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caraccessories/10403302/Scalextric-Quick-Build-review.html

rockhopper70

There will always be the grumps!
    I can just see my lad building a castle on one chassis, and a ruddy dinosaur or something on the other just to race them around.
    If nothing else, the cars alone sell on ebay for £40 so with the track, split and make a profit.

aracer
    Free Member

Is it actually lego compatible?

rockhopper70

Yes. Seems so.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, still tempted then…

hooli

Reserved, thanks for the heads up!

scuttler

Everything’s lego compatible these days (e.g. them clip together airfix kits). However when the 30 year lego out of your folk’s loft and the stuff you bought yesterday for your 5 year old fit and stay together far better than any of this third party crap, it finally dawns on you how good lego actually is from an engineering, not just an entertainment PoV.

rockhopper70

There are a few videos on YouTube reviewing this with snippets of bodies made from lego so I’m assuming it fits!
    Mrs Rock is going to go mad though…we already have two sets and a big tub.
    This might well be a splitting and selling job for me.

zilog6128

However when the 30 year lego out of your folk’s loft and the stuff you bought yesterday for your 5 year old fit and stay together far better than any of this third party crap, it finally dawns on you how good lego actually is from an engineering, not just an entertainment PoV.

(Some) people moan about the cost of Lego but I think the cost is very reasonable when you consider the astounding technical achievement of making every piece fit perfectly with every other piece ever manufactured! I bought a Halo megabloks set last year from TK Maxx as it was cheap and Halo-y; the pieces looked/felt cheap, many didn’t fit together securely plus there were 2 pieces missing from the set. Utter crap compared to Lego.

GavinB

We’ve had this since last Christmas, and our boys love it (nearly as much as I do)!

I’d have to kinda agree with that review in the Telegraph though, that after about 10 car rebuilds, the novelty of rebuilding car procedure gets rather dull, so you end up just racing with the ‘chassis’ of the cars.

Great deal for £40 – I may even just get one to allow us to expand our stuff, and replace a few missing bits…

hooli

I was thinking if the cars do smash up too easily they will get a drop of superglue 😉

warton
    Free Member

but, you could buy the normal cars, and run them on the track, couldn’t you? if so I think I’ll buy ‘the kids’ one for christmas

Northwind

hooli – Member

I was thinking if the cars do smash up too easily they will get a drop of superglue

Also helpful if the cars fall off the track too easily

sv

Nice PSA – thanks (reserved!).

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Or you could buy this for $300,000

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tORo_G929DQ[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, I was thinking that, or maybe something a little less permanent (some of the glues I have should hold it together, but allow it to be taken apart if wanted).

Oh what the heck, reserved!

rockhopper70

Aracer…your initial resistance was futile….. 😀

GavinB

Apart from the cars demolishing each other when they hit at the cross-over, we also found that flying off the corners (and being too close to a skirting board or piece of solid furtniture) could cause more violent crashes..

And yes, the kids are great at smashing them up, but guess who always has to put them back together? 😐

hooli

I picked this up at lunchtime, looks good for the money. Question is do I start playing with it give it to the boys now or wait until christmas…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

hooli – Member I picked this up at lunchtime, looks good for the money. Question is do I start playing with it give it to the boys now or wait until christmas…

I think you know the answer don’t you? 😈

Northwind

Points awarded for the most enormous lego car succesfully run round the track. Pirate ships, millenium falcons and space monorail wagons also accepted.

rockhopper70

This could run and run…….as from Boxing Day!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘PSA. Scalextric demolition derby/lego set. £99.99 to £39.99 in Argos.’ is closed to new replies.