Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • PSA: Repairing DT Swiss RWS Thru Axle
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Having just ate humble pie about the 9mm and 10mm 🙄 DT Swiss RWS Thru Axle from a previous post on STW (sorry guys) I busted my rear 10mm axle as ripped the teeth off the handle coz it was very stiff to undo. Happened 1 day before the Exmoor Explorer :oops:.

I drilled a hole through both the pastic handle and alloy axle and then fitted a nut and bolt to fix the handle to the axle. This works a treat. The drawback is that you cant adjust the position of the handle when tight but I have found one full turn after being hand tight on the nut side fixes it into the perfect position. I suspect the 9mm will go the same way. Sorry for doubting those with previous experiences!

If you are thinking of going RWS then have a look at alternatives IMHO – someone said superstar componenets were going to start producing a 9mm and 10mm QR soon?

sv

Alternatives – Halo Hex Skewers and On-One do a front hub with a 9mm QR.

sslowpace
    Free Member

I found that one of my RWS skewers was a bit stiff to undo, so i greased where the handle rotates and it has sorted the problem. Running it 'dry' seems to make it sieze to easily.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup did that myself – but I think after cleaning / riding in the rain etc became dry and stiff again, enough to be too much for the handle teeth to handle 🙂

Alternatives – Halo Hex Skewers

– not if you already have a 9mm or 10mm conversion 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Repairing DT Swiss RWS Thru Axle’ is closed to new replies.