Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PSA: QECP – Headdown/Parking
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

As the trails in Head Down are getting more developed for the various events the area is obviously getting more popular to ride outside of those events. The area is an ‘open access’ woodland meaning that you can walk around it as you please, however cycling ( and horse riding ) are not permitted outside of official events. In the past, the volume of people riding in the wood was pretty low, however due to the successes of the various events we have held there a lot of people now ride in there. This has obviously caught the attention of the local residents who are starting to raise it with the park.

I know that with a lot of the Red trail currently closed with the forestry work there is less to ride at the park, and the trails on Head Down are a huge amount of fun to ride, however please could you limit riding in there, and if you must please be canny about how you access it. Don’t use the ‘bottom’ gate at the southern end of the wood, always be careful and watch out for walkers in the wood, and don’t park on the south down’s way next to the footpath. I have been there a couple of times and seen a long line of vans and cars with bike racks and it’s pretty obvious what’s going on 😉 Please park down at Hall’s Hill car park.

The locals complaining does not help the general trail development effort and may impact the number of events we can hold in Head Down, or even the whole future of the events themselves. If you want more trails to ride, come and help us on a dig. We have some great plans but at the moment we are not getting many people on digs so are not moving as fast as we’d like.

variflex
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up Scott.
    We are having the same problem at the devils punchbowl, especially with parking on the quiet road. Biggest problem at DBP is lack of signage informing where riders can/cant ride. One of the guys got balled out by the ranger for riding on what was the line of the old A3. But with no signage and everyone including dogs and horse riders on it, it was fair game and the ranger was politely informed about lack of signage and we hadnt perfected the art of mind reading quite yet.

fun and games

jambalaya
    Free Member

@scott noted. In fact I didn’t know the open access / event only status and I would have arrived and done just what you are asking us to avoid, so thanks for sharing it

convert

Thanks – have to confess I do use it but park in the main QECP carpark and add this bit to the end of the ride. I also use the bottom gate to exit and back over the top and into the park. I’ll stop doing that.

What’s the chances of headdown (and the bit over the back in the main park- has it got a name?) ever being made ‘official’? Over the last few years they have gone from very sketchy singletrack that was quite hard to spot to well made up and ridden in proper trail. Using this stuff for the enduros was always going to raise awareness of it to the wider riding population from a locals only knowledge it used to be and I guess it is too good for people to keep away from, and therefore creating these problems. Can’t see you having a lot of success keeping people off it now to be honest.

Are the complaints just from folk who don’t want to see people there as a matter of principle or because of a perceived danger to other users? Parking cars on the SDW is really lazy though, when the halls hill car park is just meters away.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Funny you mention devils punchbowl, I was chatting with some about it the other day. We where saying it a bit of a missed opportunity at the moment. I could be good for all potential party to have a way marked trail there.
    Local rider, a clear understanding of where they can ride and not get hassled by rangers.
    NT: Money from parking and Café
    LBS: increase in business

It would not be hard or expensive to waymark existing trails and let a local action group maintain them.

Maybe just needs the key people to talk?

scottfitz
    Free Member

What’s the chances of headdown (and the bit over the back in the main park- has it got a name?Hundry) ever being made ‘official’?

That is one of our long term goal, Hundry would be slightly easier to achieve. The main issue for HD is that its is used for events (About 10 a year) if an official route went in there how would we close it for 10 weekends a year and if we did would people still ride it?

DT78
    Free Member

Slight tangent – I was planning on riding at QE early sat. Is most of the red loop open? Is there a webpage where I can see the diversions?

Personally I’d love to do bigger loops, tried to link a few things together when I was there 6 or so weeks ago and got lost. A lot.

convert

Just under half the red currently closed. Slightly contentious – probably the worst half! Never liked the traverse along next to the M3. First climb open then its road then forest track for a mile of so to pick up the rest of the loop.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Just under half the red currently closed. Slightly contentious – probably the worst half! Never liked the traverse along next to the A3. First climb open then its road then forest track for a mile of so to pick up the rest of the loop.

Not sure if that is right anymore, as far as I can tell the FC contractors have left (To return in Sept) The orange barriers have gone and most* of the trails have been cleared. We are still trying to sort out what is going to happen to any damaged bit or bits still with debris on them. So in conclusion you can ride the full red trail but ride the bit that the FC have worked on with caution.

convert

Oh, good news – have not been for a week or so, that’s progress.

eranu
    Free Member

Just watch Snakes and Ladders that still looks a bit ropey, though I’m planning on going and moving some stuff later on.

You can always ride the new blue stuff we have been working on anyway; which is down the fireroad where the enduro trails were on the right hand side opposite the new climb (which is also not open yet nngh)

marky29er
    Free Member

That is good news re the trail being open again. Certainly the diversion signs were still up Monday night, I will ride the full loop tonight when I’m there. (and try to locate these new secret trails)

mattbee

A good a mouth of Snakes and Ladders looked clear a short while ago when I was out with the dog. The first section of up and down, through the tabletops and along to the next switchback was clear looking. The switchback up to the section of rollers and the switchback climb that leads to the fire road crossing looked to be pretty branch strewn. The climb up to the start of Never Seen It was clear apart from the first 40-50m.
    Didn’t see what the rest looked like, was far too got up there to be out for long!

As for Head Down, despite the temptation to ride what are indeed excellent trails, I now just use them for night rides so there’s less chance of conflict and I always ride over from QE rather than parking there. Be a shame to see them put out of use or events jeapordised but I suppose that with popularity will come more and more riders who don’t remember how sensitive access has been in the park for years. I just hope some sort of amicable solution is forthcoming.

eranu
    Free Member

It’s all clear now. Myself and Rups cleared it before a quick ride followed by much beer and an enduro race meeting. Looking forward to Sunday should be great.

ryder
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, but I am thinking of heading over there soon to check it out. Are the trails clearly marked at QECP? Or is it a case of find them yourself?

scottfitz
    Free Member

There is a waymarked red trail (90% singlrtrack) and a waymarked Blue trail (80% fireroad). The blue trail is currently being updated to have more all-weather single track.

Red trail: http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk/trails/red-trail-name-tbc/

Blue trail: http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk/trails/purple-trail/

ryder
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘PSA: QECP – Headdown/Parking’ is closed to new replies.