Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • PSA Planet X/ On-one 40% off
  • iolo
    Free Member

Amazing. A sale. Wow. No, really, wow.
    Has there ever been a week when they don’t have one?
    In other news, DFS have a sale on too if you want a sofa.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Cheap shit going cheap, get it while it’s hot 🙂

mattbee

There’s not really anything worth having left though to be honest. Like the last 15 min at a car boot sale.

finbar
    Free Member

I’d be more shocked if they didn’t have a sale on.

Are they still trying to flog those Cinelli Spinachi bar extension things 😆 ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, but fatty trail frames are back in it again, fill yer boots. And those Tomac* CX bikes look quite tasty. As do carbon road disk framesets for <£500.

Yes they do have sales every other month, and some prices yo-yo, but Parkwoods for <£90? Show me another 650b hardtail frame anywhere else for that? And I bet they won’t be doing them significantly cheaper in the future.

*Yes I know they’re the same as one of the Vinner, and probably will end up as some Planet-X CX bike at some point too. But that doesn’t stop anything with drop bars and the Tomac name being automatically cool.

Rosss
    Free Member

Interesting to see the Maccatuskil now showing as £799 reduced down from £999. I thought the frame was always RRP £799 until this sale came on? The 40% almost makes me interested by bringing it down to where it should have always been IMO.

Still not enough to make me buy from them though as the price will probably change next week, like the 25% off the same frame two weeks ago.

P20

The pacenti rims have gone up. which means the “extra 40% off” makes them within a quid of the original sale price 🙄

neilforrow

These come in at £20 a tyre – heavy but good for the hol week in the alps??

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYWTBV275/wtb-vigilante-tcs-tough-high-grip-275-(650b)-tyre

lunge

There’s a lot of crap in there and a few things inflated before the sale kicks in too. However, if the lady in you life needs some road shoes these are an absolute bargain for £42, really good shoes.

cp

but Parkwoods for <£90?

how did you get this?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

how did you get this?

Price has gone up since this morning 🙁 they were £150 -%40

I suspect they keep an eye on it and see what goes too quickly so they can adjust prices accordingly. Still only £120 for a nice hardtail frame.

cp

interesting, I will indeed. Had been contemplating one…

barffy
    Free Member

Sets of brake pads FOR £1.79 per pair, what’s not to like?

kimbers

vigilantes are very good tyres

draggy but tons of grip in bad conditions,

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The pacenti rims have gone up. which means the “extra 40% off” makes them within a quid of the original sale price

Standard. The venerable Pro Carbon road frame has gone back up to £499 so that it’s £269.99 with the code. They’ve previously sold it for £250…

Some bargains, some not so.

Sets of brake pads FOR £1.79 per pair, what’s not to like?

the postage on top of it? 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

Floater Fat tyres for £15ea. Not too shabby.

Should be branded the needle in a haystack sale though

woodster

Challenge Strada 25mm tubs are now more expensive than when I bought them at 35% off too.

Still £60 for a pair of excellent tyres (they’re the special edition ones at a retail of £85 a piece elsewhere) is still good.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The carbon MTB fork too was 99 before the sale and is now 199 before the 40% discount.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOTCF4709/on-one-monocoque-tapered-carbon-fork

bigjim

some creative price changing going on there, also the old trick of the listed price being an out of stock colour etc

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Standard. The venerable Pro Carbon road frame has gone back up to £499 so that it’s £269.99 with the code. They’ve previously sold it for £250…

The carbon MTB fork too was 99 before the sale and is now 199 before the 40% discount.

Bit unfair to say it’s crap because “well it’s not as good as the time they were 50% off”. It is kinda the point that stuff goes back upto the RRP between sales!

No one’s forcing anyone to buy carbon forks for £120…….

STATO
    Free Member

Bit unfair to say it’s crap because “well it’s not as good as the time they were 50% off”. It is kinda the point that stuff goes back upto the RRP between sales!

Well those people weren’t saying those items were crap just more expensive than the previous selling price.

And yes stuff would be back at RRP, but as people have noted some RRP have been changed.

lunge

When I am king RRP’s will be banned, as will “sales”. Put whatever price on it you want and let the consumer decide if they want it and if they think it’s good value.

Anyway, I digress..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And yes stuff would be back at RRP, but as people have noted some RRP have been changed.

Of what? The pro carbon has been RRP £500 for ages, and those forks £200, they were just permanently on sale with ~25% off.

Actual fiddling of the RRP to make the sales look better would be illegal, so if we’re going to accuse them of that it might be better to have actual examples.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The email actually says: “TAKE AN EXTRA 40% OFF”.

Difficult to see what “extra” means if they put most stuff back to “RRP”?

mattyfez

It is BS… I’m sick of sales marketing insulting people’s intelligence to steal a few quid from the uninformed.

The guitar industry is exactly the same.. Anyone who knows what they are talking about knows that guitar x with an RRP of £1000 sells for £750 brand new on the high street.. This RRP business is simply dishonest.

Chain reaction do exactly the same thing.. A piece of tat for sale at 70% less than RRP, must be a bargain! Except if it is only a bargain if it was 90% off as it was over priced junk in the first place.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It is BS… I’m sick of sales marketing insulting people’s intelligence to steal a few quid from the uninformed.

Dunno, seems everyone’s an expert.

I’ve bought a Fatty, and now a Fatty Trail in On-One sales, quite happy to ride them rather than sit around hitting F5 all day on the off chance there’s be a 45% off sale at some point.

scotroutes

Two points;

(1) The “value” of what you buy has obviously got nothing to do with the RRP. It’s a real shame for those that buy at, or near, RRP because they lose out on resale value (not that I think purchases should be made with resale value in mind)

(2) For much of the stuff OO/PX sell, they are the only available source. They are their own importer and no one else in the UK sells it. To mark something as having an RRP and then to immediately start selling it at less than that in a sale (yes, they do this) must fall foul of advertising standards – those ones that say an item must have been sold previously at full price. It’s aimed at the gullible and has been outlawed in most retails sectors.

mattyfez

I’m not having a go at on-one.. It’s just general marketing BS I have a problem with ..

andyrm
    Free Member

Two points;

(1) The “value” of what you buy has obviously got nothing to do with the RRP. It’s a real shame for those that buy at, or near, RRP because they lose out on resale value (not that I think purchases should be made with resale value in mind)

(2) For much of the stuff OO/PX sell, they are the only available source. They are their own importer and no one else in the UK sells it. To mark something as having an RRP and then to immediately start selling it at less than that in a sale (yes, they do this) must fall foul of advertising standards – those ones that say an item must have been sold previously at full price. It’s aimed at the gullible and has been outlawed in most retails sectors.

Provided they have PROOF of it having sold at full price, they’re in the clear. When I worked in the ecommerce voucher sector, this was the way companies inflated their RRPs for Groupon etc to “discount”. Sell 5 in 5 different transactions to staff on their own credit cards (delivery notes to home address) and then you have your proof.

I’m not saying O-O/PX are doing that, but the fact is the law is completely powerless to stop those kind of practices as they left it wide open for circumnavigation, so even if people complained to either the ASA or Trading Standards, there’s nothing can be done.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

there was stock of the reduced ones, and they were 40% off, but that option is now sold out, was white in a couple of sizes iirc

cp

there was stock of the reduced ones, and they were 40% off, but that option is now sold out, was white in a couple of sizes iirc

yup, they were available when they started the 40% off thing, but must have sold out pretty quick.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

unsurprisingly

however the prices are all over,

Tune Kong Rear 142×12 in 32h and XD Driver was £199 plus 40% off, now its £299 plus 40% off – should have bought it while i could

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Provided they have PROOF of it having sold at full price, they’re in the clear

pretty sure when they released their own-brand tyres (the Smorgasbord specifically?) it was immediately reduced from it’s supposed rrp. Suppose that’s acceptable as it’s a promotion?

1) I never said it was crap, I said it was standard practice
    2) the point is their stuff doesn’t go up to rrp between sales (as others have said P-X basically have permanent sales on) it went from one sale price to another, higher, sales price.

As long as you buy eyes-open and know what you’re getting into then there are bargains to be had. I don’t have a problem with the fact I can get Floaters cheaper now than I paid as I’ve got use out of them when I wanted them and I paid a price I was happy with (like you thisisnotaspoon with your Fatties).

The point of the comments is to highlight their slightly sharp business practices to those that don’t know, so they don’t get blinded by a headline ‘deal’.

slimjim78
    Free Member

say what you want about their pricing strategy, it seems that it general they are continuing to damage/cheapen their image in many peoples eyes.

Whether or not these people make up a majority or not is the question, I guess.
    PX/O-O seems to be continuing to grow, so go figure

Rubber_Buccaneer

Agree with crashtestmonkey, you just need to understand the sale isn’t a sale except in so far as they want to sell the stuff. Just like stock liquidation just means sell stuff for money.

Either a) be happy with the price you are paying and don’t worry about the fact it may be a little cheaper at some other time or b) track the price of what you are after and try to buy at the nadir

dragon
    Free Member

Straight from the Sports Direct / DFS sales technique, problem is it will ruin your brand with time. Although Planet-X / On-Ones poor product quality and complete mess of brands seems to be doing that for them, sale or no sale.

lunge

Straight from the Sports Direct / DFS sales technique, problem is it will ruin your brand with time.

To be fair, neither of those companies are doing too badly, and neither of PX/OO from what I gather.

chakaping
    Free Member

I see them more as being like a virtual TK Maxx for bikes.

Ignore the RRPs, just look at the price being asked.

And you have to wade through a load of tat from brands you’ve never heard of to find the gems.

Which I’m not sure I can be bothered to do TBH.

pickle
    Free Member

dragon, I think to call their products bad quality is a little harsh.

I’ve ridden an On One for years now, from an Inbred to C456 and now an Evo 2 and they’ve all been superb.

I understand they’re not considered fashionable but I couldn’t give a toss about that, they just ride real nice.

As for the sale? buy the bits or not, it’s up to the consumer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘PSA Planet X/ On-one 40% off’ is closed to new replies.