• This topic has 61 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • PSA: Plane crash program on Channel 4 NOW!
  • andyl
    Free Member

😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

Front doesn’t look a good place to sit.

legend
    Free Member

“1st class” just got owned 😯

jonnycritchley
    Free Member

Seriously, keep the upgrade!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Front doesn’t look a good place to sit.

“1st class” just got owned

Given that the massively overwhelming majority of flights don’t crash, I’ll keep the flat bed and the champagne, thanks!

😉

(Upstairs for my next flight….they didn’t test that, did they? 😉 )

johndoh
    Free Member

If we hadn’t had to move our holiday because our mum couldn’t get the time off work, we’d have been on that Manchester flight :-0

convert

Given that the massively overwhelming majority of flights don’t crash, I’ll keep the flat bed and the champagne, thanks!

And the ones that do, everyone normally dies….in the cheap seats you’ll just be a bit dead and quite a lot more uncomfortable whilst you wait for it to happen!

Kato

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Upstairs for my next flight….

Penthouse eh? bling bling

starsh78
    Free Member

pilots are deeeeed :/

montylikesbeer

dragging it out a bit though and as for that git with the dark glasses and 36 radios strapped to himself saying the bl%%ding obvious twice !!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s the way I roll, Kato! Off to Vegas, baby….!

All well with you? Need to arrange a beer soon, dammit!

And the ones that do, everyone normally dies….in the cheap seats you’ll just be a bit dead and quite a lot more uncomfortable whilst you wait for it to happen!

🙂

Besides, if I’m going to die, I may as well die in comfort. And with the port at the right temperature!

andyl
    Free Member

Well we’ve got to make sure they have the highest incentive to not hit the ground!

The reason I did my degree was to become a crash investigator. Kind of changed career tracks though…regretting that now 🙁

For the record I always sit above the wing box. We’ll see if that is a wise choice in a bit when the results come in.

maccruiskeen

well the cabin came off but it was pretty well intact – who knows. I’ve helped rip apart an airliner (and partially detonate it too). The nose to the first set of doors is utterly, amazingly strong. It separated there because it has no give in it – the forces would have beens sent back to the rest of the fuselage. Even if you look back at Lockerbie where a plane came apart explosively and fell to earth – the cockpit is pretty much all together.

The next tough bit is a big circular girder around the fusilage where the wings attach.

I don’t whether its healthier to be where the structure around you is crumpling and tearing and absorbing shock – or rock solid and passing that impact straight to you.

molgrips
    Free Member

The crash itself was a bit less spectacular than expected. Reminded me of that 50s film where they blow up a train..

Anyway this has all been done before – they did it for Madagascar 2.

maccruiskeen

The crash itself was a bit less spectacular than expected.

it was intended to be – it needed to be survivable to be useful

andyl
    Free Member

In the DC10 that crashed at Sioux City due to engine failure taking out the hydraulics the crew +1 passenger who was a DC10 instructor and was helping them all survived despite the aircraft doing a cartwheel when a wing dug into the grass at the last moment.

starsh78
    Free Member

andyl – Member

For the record I always sit above the wing box. We’ll see if that is a wise choice in a bit when the results come in.

It would appear you would sustain minor injuries – I’m Booking Seat 21A next time

andyl
    Free Member

I’m going to stick with between the wings.

molgrips
    Free Member

Watch out for fires and flying undercarriage tho.

legend
    Free Member

In between the wings with the burny-hot engines and all that fuel??? I’m just gonna walk up n down the aisle and hope for the best

maccruiskeen

I’m going to stick with between the wings.

frankly its academic – what shocked me when we detonated our fuselage – luggage, everything the plane is constructed of is is fire proof and self extinguishing. Clothes and bags – burn like fury, stick like napalm, pretty much impossible to extinguish thick, black acrid. Genuinely horrifying.

legend
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    In the DC10 that crashed at Sioux City due to engine failure taking out the hydraulics the crew +1 passenger who was a DC10 instructor and was helping them all survived despite the aircraft doing a cartwheel when a wing dug into the grass at the last moment.

You missed that the cockpit snapped off and was basically just an unrecognisable ball of metal with the three of them inside! And, iirc, they landed at something like 250knts

andyl
    Free Member

4 of them wasnt there? DC10 would have had a flight engineer. And yup it snapped off but they still survived.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Brilliant prog, anyone know why the Mexican Govt wanted it removing asap – how much more could they have learned if they had had days to analyse every detail.

Still astounded by how much we don’t know.

legend
    Free Member

Sorry, yup 4. Normal pilot and co-pilot on the stick with the Instructor trying to juggle the three throttles and the Engineer probably spending most of the flight shitting himself!

maccruiskeen

Brilliant prog, anyone know why the Mexican Govt wanted it removing asap

probably the film crew’s location manager rubbed them up the wrong way (or didn’t rub them in the right way)

KonaTC

Mmm thought it was like crashing a mk2 cortina and saying modern cars are/are not safe

Entertainment value only

legend
    Free Member

I assume you didn’t watch it from the start then? Same fuselage as a 737 – which makes it very relevant

maccruiskeen

727 wasn’t it?

The real point was really about the actions and vulnerabilites of the humans, not the plane. But it was an exercise in demonstration / visualisation, rather than discovery. If you were serious about learning anything you’d need to crash hundreds of planes.

KonaTC

If you were serious about learning anything you’d need to crash hundreds of planes.

andyl
    Free Member

Don’t confuse the engineering of aircraft with that of cars. It always amazes me how an passenger plane or helicopter from the 70’s can still pass as not that dated. Unlike a car from that era.

1970 Bell helicopter:

1970 747-121:

1970 British car:

😆

Okay, there has been huge improvements have been made in avionics, engines and materials but the engineering behind the structure etc has held true throughout the decades with just more optimisation that comes with evolution and increased knowledge and use of computer modelling etc.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=As2l3TIiEnI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAs2l3TIiEnI&gl=GB[/video]

probably more realistic.

andyl
    Free Member

IIRC that one was a test of a new fuel designed to not mist up and ignite during a crash. Because they messed up the test the metal spikes cut the plane up differently and caused the fuel to mist and ignite. Had they not messed up they may have missed the result.

maccruiskeen

Wasn’t that NASA test was generally considered to be a waste of time. Not really much to learn from un-survivable crashes, more important to try and mitigate against that kind of crash occuring at all. Its survivable crashes that are important – overshooting the runway – landing in the husdson. That kind of thing. The fuselage we used been scrapped after it had been in that kind of event – a nose heavy landing that had written it off structurally – nobody hurt but they got to play on the slides.

althepal

Think it would have been more realistic if it had actually had the engines under the wings. Concerned me that the engines were still running/ drawing fuel after the cockpit had snapped off? Guess the throttle wires had jammed on?

andyl
    Free Member

does happen. There was a brand new Airbus written off a couple of years ago during engine testing when the test crew ran all 4 engines at full power and it hit a concrete blast fence. The whole cockpit section snapped off over the other side of the wall. Apparently one of the engines ran for about 9 hours until the fuel ran out as they couldn’t shut it down. Details are sketchy though as when you write off a brand new aircraft you don’t want to publicise it too much.

The engines should just snap off in such an impact as seen there.

muckytee
    Free Member

IMO just behind the wings is the safest place. Since over the wings means over the fuel tanks.

Too far at the back and you’re in bother if it crashes arse first, and you’ve got an APU at the back which can catch fire also (although minimal risk). The front isn’t great as shown by C4.

Also window seats are nice but should be avoided to allow yourself faster access to the aisle.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You need to find out which seat the black box is under becasue if thats the only bit they expect to get back you need to strap yourself to it 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, amazing that the engine carried on running – maybe because the throttles were intercepted by the remote control?

Also interesting to see all those control cables running under the floor. You wouldn’t see that in an Airbus and that was one of the main reasons why AF447 crashed – in a Boeing the co-pilot would have realised that the junior pilot was holding back the control stick in a blind panic causing the plane to go nose-up and stall.

I have flown in some knackered old 727s quite recently, Okada Airways in Nigeria were using them until they crashed most and cannibalised the rest for spares. You can still see the donors standing near the runway at Lagos with their engine cowlings just empty shells.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Plane crash program on Channel 4 NOW!’ is closed to new replies.