Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PSA – PayPal speculative emails doing the rounds..
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of “genuine” PayPal mails asking for suspension’s to be lifted on my account.. a couple stating “limitations” that also need lifting.
    Well as you guessed in the mail it asks for you to click the link and I reckon it’s all just a super scam of the highest order.

The mails do look remarkably genuine though, so just keep your fingers off the mouse unless you decide to trust these mails.

😉

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I had a similar one a few weeks ago. Ignored it for the same reasons but then when I logged onto Paypal my account has indeed been limited and it’s prompting me to go through various security and verification (automated phone call to my landline stating a number). None of it worked and I got sick of dicking about. I haven’t noticed any activity that wasn’t me on either my Paypal account of associated bank account so perhaps everything is fine and it’s just user error…..really should get it sorted I suppose as I can’t use Paypal to pay for anything whilst it is limited.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Get these from PayPal or natwest or hsbc or Barclays etc pretty much daily. Arseholes.

sands
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    The mails do look remarkably genuine though

Thanks for the ‘heads-up’.

Any genuine emails from PayPal will have your name e.g. ‘David Smith’ either in the header or the first line of the email.

teasel
    Free Member

It takes nothing to hover your pointer over a link anywhere on the web. That’s usually a good indication of where you’re going to end up…

Sandwich

On a Mac you can view the raw source of the message (hovering can be hit and miss for me) via the menu. Usually there’s a whole lot of trouble in links that end .ru or similar.

teasel
    Free Member

hovering can be hit and miss for me

How so?

I have two scam emails supposedly from Paypal. If the sender address wasn’t enough to alert me (both are from an @outlook.com address), when I hover over the “Log in now” button the link shows www . x . co/PayPcal and the other x.co/PaypalEU. Neither are the correct address as is evident if you hover a genuine Paypal email.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

AFAIK It’s not hard to spoof an address.

Sharpmail, etc.

That reminds me, I have to email Chicks On The Right again [from their own email address] and tell them how much Obama has done for me 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

AFAIK It’s not hard to spoof an address.

Which goes to show how smart the senders of this batch are.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Any genuine emails from PayPal will have your name e.g. ‘David Smith’ either in the header or the first line of the email.

Check out spear phishing. They will have these details.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PSA – PayPal speculative emails doing the rounds..’ is closed to new replies.