Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA James Cracknel on a fat bike crossing Yukon
  • nickjb
    Free Member

On Quest (CH 38) now, but started 20 mins ago, or Quest+1 in 40 mins. Looks pretty tough.

matt_outandabout

Inspiring stuff.
    SO bloomin cold…so blooming far. Anyone who does that has my respect…

Some questions on kit – why do none of them wear googles? It would seem to be good when it get that cold…?

RustySpanner

I thought the speech by his doctor near the end was excellent. 😀

dvatcmark
    Free Member

The annoying thing is that Alan Sheldon from Matlock in Derbyshire won the race beating James by days and he barely got a mention on the show.

brakes
    Free Member

good show, well worth a watch.

user-removed
    Free Member

dvatcmark – that’s because it was a show about James…

Must have been hard to film for many reasons. You’re never going to get much inspirational dialogue out of a guy pushing and riding a bike for 100km, the scenery is just whiteness and that’s on top of filming in less than perfect conditions. Good job given the circumstances.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Because the show wasn’t about him. It was about James’ incredible strength and willpower to overcome the limitations placed on him from his life threatening injuries sustained in the US.

dave_h
    Free Member

Because the show wasn’t about him

Everything in James Cracknell’s life is about James Cracknell, surely?

By nature, successful athletes have to be focussed and motivated but he takes it to an unpleasant level.

brakes
    Free Member

the guy is such an inspiration with respect to strength over adversity, and 10x as much after his accident last year. it would be good to see this programme on one of the terrestrial channels, rather than some Radio DJ riding an exercise bike for 10 minutes.

SimonR

I’m sure this was originally on a terrestrial channel – maybe a year or so ago.

Great programme though – hopefully it will be repeated again somewhere.

nickjb
    Free Member

Quest is a terrestrial channel, freeview 38. Shows some good stuff. All repeats from other channels.

spawnofyorkshire

it was a discovery channel series. He did the Yukon ride, then the Marathon des Sables then was traveling across America under his own power when he was hit by a truck.

The man is an incredible athlete and his mental endurance was/is immense.

I remember watching the Yukon ride first time around and them being quite matter of fact about how the winner beasted it but Mr Cracknell did very well for a newby who barely rode before he took this on.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Hopefully my box recorded it.

It’s a fantastic achievement for someone who nearly died after getting hit by a truck, suffered massive brain injuries and had a complete life change irrespective of the fact he’s a massively gifted athlete

brakes
    Free Member

Quest is a terrestrial channel

I was thinking classic terrestrial > BBC, ITV, C4, and it was just a set up so I could have a dig at the current whim of BBC celebrity sports challenges.

nickjb
    Free Member

it was just a set up so I could have a dig at the current whim of BBC celebrity sports challenges.

That’s fair enough. Pet hate of mine too. Celebs doing something with a support team around them that many on here would do for fun on the weekend. Don’t get me started on these life and death challenges: ‘if we break down we die!… or the camera crew will drive us back to the hotel’

Duffer
    Free Member

He did the Yukon ride, then the Marathon des Sables then was traveling across America under his own power when he was hit by a truck.

I remember watching the Yukon ride first time around and them being quite matter of fact about how the winner beasted it but Mr Cracknell did very well for a newby who barely rode before he took this on.

I’m fairly sure he did MDS first, followed by RAAm (where he sustained a serious injury) then the Yukon was last. The whole point of the Yukon was that he was doing it after suffering brain damage.

shaggy

I spoke to James a couple of times in the lead up to the event with a bit of advice and helping with kit. He was very frank about the head injuries that had nearly killed him the year before, but also funny and super motivated. I wasn’t especially a fan of his before, but I am now. Inspiring guy.

brakes
    Free Member

you didn’t recommend his snapped chain did you?
    the guy who won seemed to be running narrower tyres too.

spawnofyorkshire

@duffer – you’re bang one. I got the order mixed up

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA James Cracknel on a fat bike crossing Yukon’ is closed to new replies.