• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PSA – It’s Mother’s Day on Sunday
  • IHN

You have been reminded/warned.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No it’s not. It’s something dreamed up by marketing types and the flower industry, to get you to spend loads of money on stuff for yer mum, because you’ve been made to feel guilty that you don’t spend enough time with her/tell her how much you appreciate and love her.

It is however, Mothering Sunday; a tradtional Yerpean-wide celebration of the Virgin Mary, and previously, a Roman Pagan festival thing dedicated to the Goddess Cybele.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Plus dont forget the equinox this Friday Rudebiy 🙂

My mother has to put up with a lot so forking out for some flowers seems a pretty good deal to me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Once more, I have to agree with RudeBoy. Much though it pains me to do so, you understand.

It gets worse, though, as there’s this little gem;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_Professionals’_Day

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes, but I’ll not be bullied into making some consumerist-driven gesture to ‘prove’ that I love my mummy. She’s not into bullshit like this anyway.

BigDummy
    Free Member

As is traditional, I shall be marshalling a road race on mothering sunday. 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

Big thankyou for the pre-warning! 🙂
    As an expat I could easily miss this date…..

IHN

No it’s not. It’s something dreamed up by marketing types and the flower industry, to get you to spend loads of money on stuff for yer mum, because you’ve been made to feel guilty that you don’t spend enough time with her/tell her how much you appreciate and love her.

It is however, Mothering Sunday; a tradtional Yerpean-wide celebration of the Virgin Mary, and previously, a Roman Pagan festival thing dedicated to the Goddess Cybele.

Oh, **** off.

donald
    Free Member

Fred said right

mrsflash
    Free Member

Just buy your mums a card and some flowers / chocolates and stop moaning!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’m afraid it’s true, Nettles.

If you want to get yer mm something nice, or take her for a nice meal or something, then go for it.

I think that’s something that can be done on any Sunday (other days of the week are available).

I have no probs with Christians, or those who follow the roman goddess, wishing to celebrate Mothering Sunday. I just object to it being hijacked by bloody Interflora, Cadburys and Clintons Cards, etc.

Sorry. I appreciate the point of yer post, Nettles. Fair play.

But I’m really not one for forced gestures of affection. Speshly when there’s some cynical money-making scheme behind it all.

IHN

I’m afraid it’s true, Nettles.

I know

If you want to get yer mm something nice, or take her for a nice meal or something, then go for it.

I will

I think that’s something that can be done on any Sunday (other days of the week are available).

I agree

I have no probs with Christians, or those who follow the roman goddess, wishing to celebrate Mothering Sunday. I just object to it being hijacked by bloody Interflora, Cadburys and Clintons Cards, etc.

Blah

Sorry. I appreciate the point of yer post, Nettles. Fair play.

Thank you

But I’m really not one for forced gestures of affection. Speshly when there’s some cynical money-making scheme behind it all.

And you’re one of the many who feel obliged to make the point every f**king time.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Well posted IHN.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    I wish you ‘Good Karma’.
    SB 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed. I have never, and will never, “do” Valentine’s day for that very same reason.

Why flowers because it suits someone else? Wouldn’t it be far more romantic and meaningful just to buy them because it was a Tuesday afternoon and you wanted to?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i agree with rubeboy

my mum agrees with IHN!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

What’s wrong with you? Yer hernia playing up or something?

I express an opinion on what I feel is the disrespectful hijacking of a religious festival, by those solely intent on making profit, and you tell me to ‘f*ck off’?

Are you Brant, in disguise? 😉

Wouldn’t it be far more romantic and meaningful just to buy them because it was a Tuesday afternoon and you wanted to?

Eggs-akly. Brilliantly put, CFH.

Speaking of eggs…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Easter was invented by Clinton Cards, who paid Pontius Pilate to fwee Rwudolph and Rwoderwick instead of Jesus?

IHN

I express an opinion on what I feel is the disrespectful hijacking of a religious festival, by those solely intent on making profit, and you tell me to ‘f*ck off’?

I am an atheist, yet I enjoy giving presents to my family and friends at Christmas. Does that make me a bad person too?

Anyway, it wasn’t your opinion to which I objected, it was your compulsion to express it. I could have expressed my objection in a more verbose manner, but ‘f*ck off’ summarised it nicely.

BigDummy
    Free Member

it wasn’t your opinion to which I objected, it was your compulsion to express it

This applies to such a large proportion of the internet. 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

I can’t work out why I left home years ago but still have to give her stuff for being my Mum…it’s like taking out a mortgage that’ll never be paid off….

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Stop getting your kickers in a twist, and chill out!

I am an atheist, yet I enjoy giving presents to my family and friends at Christmas. Does that make me a bad person too?

No, it just makes you someone who swallows all the commercial guff, and needs to be reminded to be nice to someone else.

I expressed an opinion. You felt compelled to ‘inform’ everyone about this coming weekend’s ‘festival’.

I look forward to your exciting announcement for Father’s Day! 😉

nukeproof
    Free Member

I expressed an opinion.

Maybe some PSA threads don’t need opinions…maybe if you felt so strongly you should have started your own thread instead of hijacking this one which was started with the best of intentions

You felt compelled to ‘inform’ everyone about this coming weekend’s ‘festival’.

🙄 could have easily just passed it by…the thread title is fairly self explanatory

IHN

No, it just makes you someone who swallows all the commercial guff, and needs to be reminded to be nice to someone else.

Really? Okay.

…I’ll not be bullied into making some consumerist-driven gesture to ‘prove’ that I love my mummy. She’s not into bullshit like this anyway.

You don’t surprise me. If you were my son it would be the least of my worries too.

IHN

Oh, and what Nukeproof said.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘PSA – It’s Mother’s Day on Sunday’ is closed to new replies.