Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • PSA-ish: iPlayer now goes back 30 days
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Might be of interest to some.

Consistently the most common response from users to the question ‘How could we improve BBC iPlayer?’ is ‘make programmes available for longer than 7 days’.

I’m delighted to announce that on Saturday morning we started doing just that, increasing the standard availability period for programmes on BBC iPlayer (and BBC iPlayer Radio) from 7 days to 30 days…..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/Rolling-out-30-Day-programme-availability-on-BBC-iPlayer

the-muffin-man

Now all they have to do is make those people pay for it who say ‘but I only watch iPlayer and DVDs so I don’t need a TV licence’!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@the_muffin you’ll be asking that they find a way to exclude those expats who watch via VPN from abroad next

OP some programmes have always been on for more than 7 days

monkeychild
    Free Member

They should create a login page so you have to create an account related to your license. Stop the free loaders 😀

RustySpanner

the-muffin-man – Member

Now all they have to do is make those people pay for it who say ‘but I only watch iPlayer and DVDs so I don’t need a TV licence’!

Yup.
    🙂

monkeychild – Member

They should create a login page so you have to create an account related to your license. Stop the free loaders

Anything that stops the thieving parasites is fine by me.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes, make the BBC a subscription service rather than make me subsidise them when I only watch Really and TLC.

metalheart
    Free Member

And here we go again. You are beginning to sound like those car drivers who keep moaning on about you shouldn’t be on the road because you dont pay road tax…

Guess what, if you don’t watch live TV you are NOT REQUIRED to have a licence. Thems the rules, I didn’t make them up. Take it up with your MP or whatever.

RustySpanner

Legally, no you don’t.

Morally?

If you watch publicly funded TV you’re getting something for free that others have to pay for.
    You take, but refuse to contribute.
    You are a parasite.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Does that also apply to non TV owners who listen to BBC radio?

martinhutch

Or read the BBC News Website?

RustySpanner

Morally?

Tough one.
    🙂

You could reintroduce a radio license, I’d be happy to pay in such circumstances.

metalheart
    Free Member

1) no others can do what I do. Its their choice.
    2) I watch very little, the last time I had a licence I probably watched a total of, oh, less than 20 programmes (all channels) in that year.
    3) I’ve bought BBC dvd’s with like real money and stuff (having watched on i-player). Think of it as try before you buy.

You pay for all your music, pens from work, etc, etc?

And not contributing to Jeremy Clarkson’s livelihood, I can live with that…

But you go ahead and get worked up over it.

RustySpanner

I’m not getting worked up about it.

I merely commented that I believe that those who watch publicly funded TV but refuse to contribute are parasites.

I watch very little, the last time I had a licence I probably watched a total of, oh, less than 20 programmes (all channels) in that year.

Oh, well done you.
    Is it ok if I only fiddle a little bit of tax, or only claim a little benefit I’m not entitled to?

I’ve bought BBC dvd’s with like real money and stuff (having watched on i-player). Think of it as try before you buy.

Do you want a pat on the head for not stealing them?

metalheart
    Free Member

Oh, I listen to BBC radio too (3, 4 & sometimes 6 music), but I don’t use their news website. Its shite.

metalheart
    Free Member

Do you want a pat on the head for not stealing stuff?

Except of course watching i-player without a licence is perfectly legal… and ain’t stealing.

I don’t refuse to contribute, I refuse to pay a full fat price for a very low fat uptake because I’m not required to. If it wasn’t legal, I’d probably stop.

I do think that its all a bit odd but as I said, I don’t make the rules.

Make it subscription only, why not. Now will that be like the poll tax and everybody who consumes must pay (and not just in the same house hold). Why should I pay the same as say a household with 4 or 5 incomes?

RustySpanner

metalheart – Member

Except of course watching i-player without a licence is perfectly legal

Yes it is.

… and ain’t stealing.

You’re happy take what others have paid for without contributing.
    Morally, that seems like theft to me.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The BBC should pay us to watch and listen.

jfletch
    Free Member

You’re happy take what others have paid for without contributing.

Other people paid to watch it live. Nobody has to pay to watch it later.

Those who paid to watch it live have lost nothing if someone else watches it later. So morally it seems perfectly acceptable and to get all het up about it seems a bit petty.

timb34
    Free Member

you’ll be asking that they find a way to exclude those expats who watch via VPN from abroad next

Well, they did turn on geolocalisation for the CBeebies pages last week, although this really only excludes the children of freeloading expats.

metalheart
    Free Member

We have different moral sets then.

Please list everything you do in life, I’m sure I’ll find you do something I find morally repugnant too.

Other people paid to watch it live. Nobody has to pay to watch it later

And when you put that way jfletch, good point, poke it rustie… :mrgreen:

kimbers

Those who paid to watch it live have lost nothing if someone else watches it later. So morally it seems perfectly acceptable and to get all het up about it seems a bit petty.

so its ok to record a film at the cinema and upload it for others to see later?

RustySpanner

So it made itself then did it?, For free?
    🙂

Those who paid to watch it live have lost nothing if someone else watches it later.

Yes they have.
    They’ve lost all the shows that could have been made by the contributions that the parasites refuse to pay.

So morally it seems perfectly acceptable and to get all het up about it seems a bit petty.

As I said before, I’m not het up about anything.
    It seems to be those unwilling to contribute who are trying to justify their selfishness.

Please list everything you do in life, I’m sure I’ll find you do something I find morally repugnant too.

😀
    I can guarantee you would.

However, we’re talking about the morality of sponging.
    Specifically the morality of taking without contributing.

What are your views on that?

miketually
    Free Member

Having Googled it a bit for the internet telly thread, it looks like they’re going to change the rules on who does or doesn’t have to pay for a TV license.

DrJ

I take peoples’ bikes and ride them while they are asleep. Seems reasonable?

RustySpanner

miketually – Member

Having Googled it a bit for the internet telly thread, it looks like they’re going to change the rules on who does or doesn’t have to pay for a TV license.
    Link.

Good.

metalheart
    Free Member

Good

So wait, you think it’s okay to sponge off people who a) don’t have a TV and b) don’t use iplayer? How can you morally defend this taking money from people who have no intention of watching any content?

Here’s the thing, if it was a choice of having to pay for BBC TV content (remember not everything is even available on iplayer watch again) then quite frankly I’d drop the iplayer and keep on buying DVD box sets (not least as I have a capped rural internet connection).

Seriously, for me, TV isn’t that great. I had a year of no TV and no broadband. I managed fine, I didn’t feel deprived either. I can live without it.

rustler
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rustler +1. Away an ride yer bikes or something.

jfletch
    Free Member

They’ve lost all the shows that could have been made by the contributions that the parasites refuse to pay.

You are assuming that these people who only watch iPlayer would pay their license rather than stop using iplayer if catch up needed a licence. I’d doubt they would given there is such a huge array of media available on the Internet outside of the bbc/broadcast TV.

Also it seems fairly harsh to brand someone a sponger for following the rules.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Just ignore him; he’s probably the sort who wants to see unemployed people working down salt mines and eating vegetable peelings.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘PSA-ish: iPlayer now goes back 30 days’ is closed to new replies.