Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PSA: Into the Wild, Film4 21:00 tonight
  • allthepies
    Free Member

FILM: Into the Wild
    On: Film4 (15)
    Date: Thursday 16th December 2010
    Time: 21:00 to 23:50 (2 hours and 50 minutes long)

Sean Penn’s Oscar-nominated drama is based on the true story of Chris McCandless, played by Emile Hirsch. In 1992, McCandless sent his law school fund to Oxfam, abandoned his possessions and hiked to Alaska to live in the wilderness, seeking to re-engage with nature. He found an abandoned school bus, which became his home as he attempted to survive the harsh conditions. Interspersed with McCandless’s musings on the philosophy that drives him are flashbacks to his parents Walt and Billie, which give further insight into his life. And there are revealing encounters on the road with ageing hippies, a hard-drinking farmer and Ron Franz, almost an older version of McCandless and the one man who sees, with some apprehension, what he seeks. Hirsch turns in a mesmerising performance as a troubled yet compelling individual in this relentless, gripping film.
    (Widescreen, Subtitles, 2007, 15, 4 Star)

Director: Sean Penn
    Starring: Emile Hirsch, Marcia Gay Harden, William Hurt, Jena Malone, Brian H. Dierker, Catherine Keener

IanMunro
    Free Member

Don’t eat the potato seeds!!!
    Too late 🙂

spooky_b329

Sky+’d it as the gf has just discovered she can upgrade using the red button so has been watching Olympia and dancing horses all evening. Thank god for Youtube!

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Never saw the film, but I can recommend the book by Jon Krakauer.

plumber
    Free Member

I’m loving it so far

doglover
    Free Member

nice film, good soundtrack too

boxelder

When he gets to the uncrossable river, tell him there’s a wire bridge a mile downstream.
    Oh, and don’t shoot the moose, it’ll just go off.

Rich
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads-up, was a good film!

takisawa2

Ace film. Was on pretty late a few weeks ago.
    Some great landscapes.

philconsequence
    Free Member

convinced mrsconsequence that she wants to watch it (she thinks its “where the wild things are”)

sometimes you gotta be sneaky to encourage mrsconsequence to watch good films.

Pigface
    Free Member

I just got the impression he was a selfish arse who had a lot of issues, hated the film but my housemate took it asa blueprint for life.

Dolcered

only saw the tail end of the film, but i found the book a difficult read, tend to agree with Pigface to be honest.

Waderider
    Free Member

The film is a silly piece of confectionery, with nice views. The book is better, shows him as the arse that he was. I presume.

NikNak7890
    Free Member
    Woody
    Free Member

I started watching the film last night and lasted 10 minutes before I got bored.

Just looked up Wiki and I now know that he went in to the wilderness and died 4 months later from starvation.

I think I made the right choice 😐

hels
    Free Member

Woody mate, the Titanic sinks at the end. There you go, saved you another 3 hours of your life. And Darth Vader is Luke’s father.

I quite liked the film, it tried not to judge the guy. Felt sorry for his family, and came away thinking it was all an elaborate way of committing suicide, wrapped up in some high ideals. He could have saved himself a few times.

Woody
    Free Member

Woody mate, the Titanic sinks at the end

Too late m8 – I had to endure the whole appalling (James Cameron version) 3+ hours…….if only I’d known 😥

philconsequence
    Free Member

but have you seen “Titanic 2” ?

hels
    Free Member

What the god all get out happens in Titanic 2 ?? Do they haul it up from the seabed ?? Does it make it all the way to America ??

trickydisco
    Free Member

Woody mate, the Titanic sinks at the end. There you go, saved you another 3 hours of your life. And Darth Vader is Luke’s father.

Brilliant.. great comeback 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member
    woody2000

There’s more than 1 Titanic II!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472570/

nedrapier

The books worth a read. More story, more plot, more exploration of what drives people (mainly young men) out to look for solitude and adventure at the expense of relationships (the author being a mountaineer himself)

THe book stated out as an essay in Ouside (?) magazine, John Krakauer heard about the story of some stupid, improbably ill-equipped guy being found dead in a bus in Alaska and wanted to find out if there was more to the story than just that. Turned out there was.

If you enjoyed the film , read the book. I thought it was really interesting, despite a couple of duller sections. There’s a little bit of that mentality in me, too, so it rang bells.

woody2000

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD4OnHCRd_4[/video]

spooky_b329

I really enjoyed it. It was the sort of film where if you miss a bit, you have to go back to watch it properly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Into the Wild, Film4 21:00 tonight’ is closed to new replies.