Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PSA: If you bought a PS4 for someones Christmas present
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

If you bought a PS4 for a Christmas present, boot it up and install any updates it needs for each games.

Takes hours. Seems to be very slow to download regardless of your broadband speed.

You could have a lot of impatient people if you wait until Christmas morning.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m just posting this to vent, but I had/have an original PS4, and like many of them the BD drive died 🙁

Not really a biggie as downloadable games are the thing now, so its been without the drive for about 2.5 years. Still used a lot.

However…the latest software update seemingly checks for a working drive presence, and if not found, fails to apply the update and bricks the console. I disconnected mine a couple of years back. Reconnecting the drive hasn’t worked.

Sony know about this and want £150 from me to repair the BD drive and let me play my games again. Seems there are many in my position, according to forums.

Dead to me now 🙁 I guess I shouldn’t have opened the device, but there you go.

PS4 error code E-801809A8 being investigated; Unclear if patch will be deployed or if it is a hardware problem

Drac

Ooooh! thats a bugger.

Be better to go secondhand unless they fix it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Absolutely Drac, and I will when the sting from their cruel barb has gone from me….

njee20
    Free Member

Not really a biggie as downloadable games are the thing now, so its been without the drive for about 2.5 years. Still used a lot.

How long’s the PS4 been out? Surely if the drive died 2.5 years ago it was well within warranty, or at least covered by SOGA.

Drac

4 years still nice they were released.

codybrennan
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    How long’s the PS4 been out? Surely if the drive died 2.5 years ago it was well within warranty, or at least covered by SOGA.

Twas my fault. The drive had been making an odd clicking sound for over 6 months before I bothered to do anything about it. I’d only been playing one game- GTA-V- and it didn’t even seem to need the disc, it was all on the HD.

And then one day I got bored, bought “The Last of Us”, went to eject GTA-V…and the new game wouldn’t read. By this point it was over the 2 year point, and fool that I am, I hadn’t bothered to take it back. The shop wasn’t interested.

The game wouldn’t eject, so I opened the PS4, took the drive out, manually ejected the The Last of Us, traded it in. It worked fine without the drive, didn’t click madly any more, so I just left it out.

My fault in the main for not returning it immediately I had suspicions about the noises I suppose, but I would say that bricking a console because a software update detected a hardware fault is not endearing, especially when that machine has a full online shop, meaning physical disks are no longer needed.

cb

FWIW I had a light of death issue with a PS3 – same as yours with regard to being out of warranty. However, it was a known problem – just kept at them until they finally admitted it and sent me a FOC refurb. Initially they didn’t want to know.

John Lewis also didn’t want to know and were pretty rude which goes against all reviews you hear on stw. Had a ‘manager’ called who was the most arrogant sharp pointy thing you could ever hope to meet. We disagreed on the legislation, quite loudly in front of the queue, until they gave me half the purchase price back to cover the repair cost Sony had quoted.

I ended up well in that case but it took persistance.

fossy

Wish we had known about the massive updates – took hours last Christmas even with fibre – PSN’s servers were struggling.

I’d set it up before Christmas, and install the games. Fortunately we were away most of the day, but it wasn’t usable until the evening.

AlexSimon

On the switch/wii u if you don’t plug it into the internet, then they’ll play without updates.
    Does this work on the PS4?

tdog
    Free Member

This is the main reason I sold my xbox one andwent back to original xbox was that Wi-Fi was needed all the bloody time for updates and wow was it slow to do that.

But the graphics were decent, just games nowadays are far too hectic to enjoy.

Bit off topic but John Lewis are shocking at customer service when it came to a recently brand new ipad stopping working.
    Had to jump through a series of hoops on fire. Not impressed!

Cougar

This is the main reason I sold my xbox one andwent back to original xbox was that Wi-Fi was needed all the bloody time for updates and wow was it slow to do that.

Mine does it overnight. The only time I need to do updates ‘live’ is if it’s a new game on disc, and that’s only a few minutes typically.

tdog
    Free Member

Well it’s by the by now. Much prefer older consoles. 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m glad I did the same last year with Jnrs Xbox One, took hours and hours even with a 30Mbps connection, the bottleneck seemed to be at MSs end.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PSA: If you bought a PS4 for someones Christmas present’ is closed to new replies.