Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PSA: High Rise film, avoid at all costs
  • headfirst
    Free Member

The biggest steaming turd of a movie I have ever seen. I will never trust Mark Kermode ever again.
    Don’t say I didn’t tell you if you go and see it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The review he did makes me think it will be a marmite film, still tempted to try and catch it. What was your problem with it?

TheFopster
    Free Member

A bit harsh, I’d say. Saw it last night – it was a bit slow but OK in an over-stylised lord of the flies for grown ups sort of a way. Not great but not awful by any means. And you can’t criticise Mark Kermode – it’s against the rules.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Other opinions are available

But wrong

stewartc
    Free Member

Mark Kermode is a fan of Richard Curtis, he can be criticized.

Was looking forward to this, will probably wait till its available online in about 3 months.

Drac

If Mark Kermode highly rates a film it’ll be average at best.

headfirst
    Free Member

My problem was that it was incoherent, listless, unoriginal and just shit. It was a sledgehammer of a movie where it’s theme and ‘moral’ was apparent from the off, but was very unsubtly forced in your face over and over and over again. I asked my wife for the car keys at one point so I could go and sit in the car, but she refused as she said “it would spoil other people’s enjoyment of the film”.

wallop

Most importantly – does Hiddleston look fit in it?

headfirst
    Free Member

Swear filter turned off??

Wallop,yes he did, but that still wasn’t enough to redeem it in the eyes of my wife and 22 and 19 year old daughters!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I think it’s a really interesting book, but can imagine it would be quite hard to translate into film. How do they compare? Have they had to make a lot of changes to get it to work on screen?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lol here we go…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Meanwhile on another corner of the internet:

“Saw High Rise yesterday. Its a fantastic film! its all weird, nasty, dark, hilarious and stylish at the same time. similar to Brazil (1985) fantastic performances all around. So far my favourite in cinema this year!”

“I loved it too! Thank goodness for interesting and innovative directors like Ben Wheatley…”

Did you like Sightseers?

EDIT – Trailer features Com Truise. I am going to the cinema right now 😛

[video]https://youtu.be/LKPghZ5cc_E[/video]

DrJ

I suspect that if you don’t like JG Ballard, you won’t like High Rise, but if you do, you will.

If you see what I mean 🙂

(It’s showing just now at the Barbican, which seems the perfect place to see it !! )

EDIT – Trailer features Sienna Miller. I am going to the cinema right now

julianwilson
    Free Member

still got to better than paradise towers 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

I absolutely loved the first half. Looked stunning, effective and nuanced performances, interesting premise and use of extended metaphor to make some scalpel sharp observations on how we box ourselves in with our concerns about our status and outward appearances. Then the film does it’s Lord of the Flies thing, which is fine, but it felt like it stopped trying to be thought provoking at that point and started revelling in it’s own attempts to shock. As above, it had already made it’s point, then went on to make it over and over again for about 45 minutes. Shame- it was shaping up to be such a great movie! 🙂

CountZero

I suspect that if you don’t like JG Ballard, you won’t like High Rise, but if you do, you will.

I read most of Ballard’s books thirty-forty years ago, doesn’t mean I have to like any film made of them; Crash isn’t too bad, but all of the reviews of High Rise make it just look dull, so I’m oot.
    I’d like to see someone make an attempt at Philip José Farmer’s A Feast Unknown, someone once said it was the most unpleasant, disturbing books he’d ever read; I wouldn’t go that far, but it’s pretty dark, and a film would be very challenging.

Marketing material for this reprint (originally published in 1969 by erotic publisher Essex House) has described the novel as being “controversial”. Even for someone of my desensitized generation, this novel is not for the faint of heart. Murder, rape, nudity, ejaculation, bestiality, incest and cannibalism are just a few of taboos referenced or experienced in this story. In some sense I feel this novel did for pulp action the same thing The Dark Knight Returns did for comics or A Game of Thrones did for high fantasy. It took the genre out of the hands of children and transformed it into something adults could enjoy.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Loved it.

Wife…. didn’t….

shermer75
    Free Member

No worries there, I hear that some people are selling their wives for food

chewkw
    Free Member

This is the sort of film you should wait to watch free on telly … 😛

Not worth wasting your life in the cinema for this. 😀

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

shermer75

she better not read this but….. Where are these markets for wife selling?

It’s part funded by Film4 so it will be on telly soon enough.

Defo what someone earlier said ‘MARMITE’. I don’t think anyone can make your mind up for you on this.

chewkw
    Free Member

bereavementmonkey – Member
    It’s part funded by Film4 so it will be on telly soon enough.

Woohoo! Now I can watch a weird film wasting my life away for free at home. :mrgreen:

I was watching a Korean film on Flim4 recently it was so good with plenty axe hacking violence … very funny too. Now’s that is worth staying up late for at home. 😛

shermer75
    Free Member

shermer75
    she better not read this but….. Where are these markets for wife selling?

25th floor I believe

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thread resurrection….
    Well caught on dvd, I can see why it gets strong reactions. Not an easy film to enjoy is it. Good watch, excellent film making and a little bit of escapism.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Looks good actually, another film added to the list.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PSA: High Rise film, avoid at all costs’ is closed to new replies.