Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PSA: Google Maps App For iOS Released
  • Jamie
    Free Member

…for those that don’t like Apple’s offerings:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-maps/id585027354?mt=8#

Description
    Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.

Search
    * Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
    * Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
    * Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.

Directions
    * Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
    * Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
    * Access live traffic information in cities across the world.

Street View and imagery
    * View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
    * See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
    * View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.

Simple and easy to use
    * An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
    * Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
    * Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.

jam-bo

Not that you’d know it looking at the App Store.

Saying that the apple one is growing on me. The sat nav is pretty good.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The question now is how to get apps like Strava and Endomondo to display routes featuring Google maps and not apple Maps.

Was hoping I’d be able to delete crApple maps now Google maps is back but it’s undeleteable.

jam-bo

You’ll have to wait for the app developers to change their default mapping. Bet they don’t.

kiwijohn

I’d still use navigon if I needed to get somewhere.
    Streetview is welcome return though, & I really like the way it works on the phone.

Jamie
    Free Member

Bet they don’t.

Bet they not allowed.

Only way it will be done is via a JB tweak.

jota180
    Free Member

not for ipad yet – as far as I can see

GrahamS

Looks pretty, but I tried it this morning and the directions were awful.

Even when I was less than 100 metres from my destination it was still trying to get me to u-turn and go back around a roundabout to the route that it felt I should have taken instead of the direct route I did take.

Think I’ll stick with NavFree and Waze for directions!

Also can someone please tell me how you get StreetView up? If it is available then it’s a bit non-obvious

GrahamS

The question now is how to get apps like Strava and Endomondo to display routes featuring Google maps and not apple Maps.

For Endomondo you could vote for this feature:
    “Openstreetmap OSM as a map option” http://gsfn.us/t/2s0tu – which would be a lot better than Apple or Google maps!

jota180
    Free Member

Also can someone please tell me how you get StreetView up?

If you tap a pin and the the address it bring up at the bottom it comes up
    I’m yet to figure out how to get out of it though 🙂

GrahamS

Hmmm.. that’s odd.- that was one of the first things I tried and I didn’t get StreetView. Now I do. Weird. Maybe I wasn’t on 3G or something.

(You get back out of it by using the arrow at the top left)

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m yet to figure out how to get out of it though

Hit the arrow pointing left.

jota180
    Free Member

Hit the arrow pointing left.

I got there in the end
    The street name [and arrow] are auto hiding

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Unless you use street view, which I never did, I reckon Apple maps are fine. I’ve certainly not found anything to moan about and the ‘satnav’ feature is superb IMO.

cynic-al
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Unless you use street view, which I never did, I reckon Apple maps are fine.

Never tried to get to Stratford on Avon then? Apparently Apple “lost” it 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wot, not 4 iPad yet..!

“grumbles”

GrahamS

I reckon Apple maps are fine

They don’t seem too bad round here. The clever 3D flyover technology goes a bit mental when it gets to bridges. And their POI database is still laughably crap.

e.g. I just searched for “coffee” and I can see three coffee shops in all of central Newcastle. On Google Maps I see dozens.

Wot, not 4 iPad yet..!

Sure it will come. You can always just use the iPhone version on the ipad in the meantime. Or the Google Maps website of course.

Drac

Bet they not allowed.
    Only way it will be done is via a JB tweak.

I’m sure that was said when googlemaps disappeared too, that the only way you’ll ever have them back is jail break. Yet here we are.

Nobby

Might give it a go as I haven’t been able to get the satnav on Apple maps to give voice instructions – but that’s probably just me. 😳

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Finally. I’ve been holding off upgrading to iOS6 until this came out. Can be doing without google maps on my phone, mainly for street view

GrahamS

I’ve been holding off upgrading to iOS6 until this came out. Can be doing without google maps on my phone, mainly for street view

You realise that the Google Maps website (and various other apps) had StreetView available for the entire time?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Never tried to get to Stratford on Avon then? Apparently Apple “lost” it

Doesn’t look lost to me, and I was under the impression that Tom Tom supplied the maps?

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m sure that was said when googlemaps disappeared too, that the only way you’ll ever have them back is jail break. Yet here we are.

Whoever said that was an idiot. Google were always going to release a standalone app for maps, and Apple were always going to approve it.

Whether, despite Google having the developer api in place, Apple will allow apps to choose Google as the default mapping option, is much harder to call.

GrahamS

Yeah can’t see Apple voluntarily releasing that grip – adding third-party elements into their closed-loop ecosystem interferes with their “it just works” ethos (even when in this case the third party app arguably “just works” better than the Apple one).

Mind you, they do let other apps launch from Apple Maps (e.g. if you try to do Cycling directions from Apple Maps it gives an option to launch the CycleStreets app).

GrahamS

Of course, Google Maps isn’t perfect either:
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/12/google-maps-might-kill-you-as-well/

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Google Maps App For iOS Released’ is closed to new replies.