Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PSA gold secure chain lock deal
  • kimbers

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p64408/Oxford-Chain10-Sold-Secure-Pedal-Cycle-Gold-Chain-Lock-With-Padlock.aspx

not everyone favourite shop, but best style of lock imho

and ill please your insurer

robbieh
    Free Member

There were some vids on YouTube how quick you can cut through these sold secure chains with bolt droppers! Dunno if they,re still there.?

grum
    Free Member

Ordered – thanks.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Not bolt cropper ‘proof’, may deter the opportunist but otherwise not really worth it’s weight I’m afraid.

grum
    Free Member

Not bolt cropper ‘proof’, may deter the opportunist but otherwise not really worth it’s weight I’m afraid.

Worth it if it means your insurance pays out.

Which chains are bolt cropper proof?

Simon

Probably none if you’ve got long enough bolt croppers.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

ABUS Magnum for a start – you get what you pay for, twenty odd quid will get you around ten seconds protection, if that. Most people on here spend thousands on their bike, then spend less than thirty quid to secure it? Insurance would pay out, yep, but wouldn’t you rather have your own bike and not go through the hassle of claiming etc??

vorlich
    Free Member

Ordered, ta. Means my bike can go back into the shed since switching insurers a month back

grum
    Free Member

I dunno, I would imagine if they were professional thieves they would probably have power tools in which case I don’t think any lock is going to hold out for very long.

Anyone got links to tests on some of these locks then?

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

If they are that determined they can get through anything. I supply anchors and resins to the security industry through work and, as a result of getting turned over last year, have opened my own online household security website/business. If someone asks me if it will guarantee their bike/whatever won’t get nicked – I can’t guarantee it!

grum
    Free Member

The other thing is that even if the frame is well locked up it’s not going to stop someone from stripping it – the bits are probably worth more than the frame with current fork prices.

remoterob
    Free Member

I’d only want the cheapest gold secure lock I could find, because it’s only to satisfy the insurers.

If they can’t cut the lock, they’ll cut the frame.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those – they feel very sturdy and look badass. I’m sure they’re breakable with enough time but then so is any lock. Crucially, my insurer is satisfied with this one (which is basically the only reason I use it).

As above, it’d be pretty straightforward to just cut through the thin aluminium frame on my bike 🙁

Northwind

grum – Member

I dunno, I would imagine if they were professional thieves they would probably have power tools in which case

Nah, no reason to use noisy slow powertools when most chains can be broken with croppers. A competent thief will have that chain off faster than you can find the key and unlock it.

But, still, it’s a decent price as long as you’re realistic about what it’s for- amateur deterrance, and insurance satisfaction

zerocool

I bought some heavy duty chains from Screwfix for my garage that were similar to that. Certainly took me a while with the grinder/cutter to cut through them the day I lost the key but was due to sell the bike.

yoshimi

I have a Pragmasis, pretty sure with the padlock it was over £100, can’t be cut with crops, I’d also recommend Almax

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PSA gold secure chain lock deal’ is closed to new replies.