Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • PSA Garmin Edge software update available to 3.6
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

All those that use Garmin devices, Edges have a software update to 3.6 available.

I’ve just done mine but not ridden with it yet.. I’ll let you know if I have any issues 😆

julzm
    Free Member

Any idea how to do a software update without a laptop? I only have an iPad.

DT78
    Free Member

What does the update give?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Are you on an 810?
    510 looks to be on 3.5, just updated last night.

Changelog:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6005

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6049

simondbarnes

And Edge Touring is on 2.7

gren
    Free Member

Based on their forums being full of update problems (previous versions) I’m sticking with 3.2 or whatever. It just works and does what I need

gravity-slave
    Free Member

3.4 was great for me, except the first time it picked up a segment and paced me up it, it nearly killed me! Great feedback/motivation and worth the upgrade for me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah I’m using an 810.. Prior to the last but one upgrade (pre 3.4) I had a couple of stability and TBT issues like most, but no where near as bad as some.. 3.4 came along and a lot of the bugs were fixed.. No idea what 3.6 gives yet but all the usual stuff is in there as it should be.
    I am taking an interest in the Garmin forums for any issues, so far none reported but it’s early days isn’t it. The forum is a really good resource for anything Garmin, can get a bit bewildering with multiple same threads but on the whole it’s really rather good.

Might go out tomorrow after Paris – Roubaix all,keen like, I’ll take it with me on a well worn local road loop and report back.

njee20
    Free Member

2.8 for the Edge 1000, they’re all different.

boblo
    Free Member

Oo ooo, is there an update for the 705… 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, my Edge 1000 updated on Thursday night, IIRC. Didn’t spot any changes to it at all while out for a pre-work spin before work on Friday.

scotroutes

705 has no updates since 3.2

njee20
    Free Member

Oo ooo, is there an update for the 705…

You’ll be lucky! It was discontinued so long ago. Does it need one? Mine was always very stable.

boblo
    Free Member

Naah I was just messing. The 705 is the pinnacle of Edge design, the Windows95 of Garmins. All the other bits and bob’s that came later are fripperies to keep the market/revenue stream alive.

Discuss 😛

crazy-legs

I updated my 500 a few years ago and it killed it completely! I phoned Garmin customer service and they asked a couple of questions, told me to try some button presses and when that didn’t work just said send it back. Got a brand new Edge 500 by return.

No idea what the problem was but they didn’t seem at all surprised so it was obviously a known fault. Never bothered trying to update my current one!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The first rule of Garmin Club: Never install firmware updates soon as they’re released.

Second rule of Garmin Club: Never be surprised at all the new bugs that get introduced in new revisions.

The third rule of Garmin Club: Suck it up, there is no viable alternatives.

tenfoot

Flipping Garmin. For some reason, out of the blue, my 810 will no longer connect to my phone.

I’ve changed nothing, so Lord knows what’s happened there. My display changed the other day too. Instead of speed it was showing cadence. Easy to put right, but WTF?

geoffj

I spent an hour this morning trying to register mrs j’s new (old) vivofit to her iPad.
    The bloody thing kept failing on a server download. Also Garmin connect is failing to show steps over time (week, month etc).
    I do like Garmin kit, but they really need to hire some grown ups to manage their web resources and driver releases.

mav12
    Free Member

nothing for the 500 or 200 just checked

dirtyrider
    Free Member

500 is not supported anymore and the 200 is quite basic

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well after P-R I went out, picked a simple route, sent it to device, rode it..

All worked fine, TBT never missed a beat.. some segment info came up on it (which I’ve never seen before) just uploaded the ride to Connect but it seems Garmin servers are playing up and therefore a slow connection. It loaded fine in the end and still sync’d with Strava.

I’ll do another course tomorrow and if nothing happens I’ll not post, if it does I’ll let you know.

allthepies
    Free Member

Nothing for 800 ?

njee20
    Free Member

Not supported any more. Superceded by the 810.

pete68
    Free Member

Any updates on this,er, update? I’ve seen a few reports of the unit powering down mid ride and a bit unsure whether to update or not. Mines still on 3.0 so a bit behind.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

New betas out too if you are brave – check the sub forums here
    https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?20-Cycling

slowjo
    Free Member

Re the invitation to discuss the 705.

I have been thinking about replacing mine on the premise that it is old and tatty, the screen is covered in scratches etc.

Functionally it seems to be totally stable and the few issues I have had, have been easily resolved by a hard reest.

If push came to shove, and you could get them ‘re-glazed’ then I probably would. That, and a few, new handlebar mounts.

The 705 the Win XP of Garmins? I’d be inclined to agree.

stumpy01

bongohoohaa – Member

The first rule of Garmin Club: Never install firmware updates soon as they’re released.

Second rule of Garmin Club: Never be surprised at all the new bugs that get introduced in new revisions.

The third rule of Garmin Club: Suck it up, there is no viable alternatives.

Just seen this. HA HA, very true!
    My Edge500 is useless nowadays. It works as a fancy cycle computer, but try to use it to follow a breadcrumb trail (which was the main thing I bought it for) and it just doesn’t work.
    Frustratingly, it almost does work; sometimes it displays the path for a bit, then loses it, then displays it for the next bit of dead straight road, then disappears as you get near to a turn that you think is coming up……..that coupled with the randomly working page/menu button!
    It’s enough to make a grown man weep into his bowl of first world problems.
    I’m loathe to replace it with another Garmin product, but there doesn’t seem to be anyone out there doing anything similar – Bryton perhaps, but they don’t seem to be widely available here & reviews seem mixed.

mav12
    Free Member

i has this problem on a course, try messing about with the zoom settings, , seems ok if i use garmin connect to create courses and not zoomed in too much

stumpy01

mav12 – Member

i has this problem on a course, try messing about with the zoom settings, , seems ok if i use garmin connect to create courses and not zoomed in too much

Thanks. The zoom thing is about the only thing that I haven’t tried.

I have found that it never works if I use Garmin Connect as the course creator.
    The one thing I did find that worked, was using gpsies.com and when it uploads the route selecting ‘space points evenly’ or something , it forces the Garmin to show the course constantly. But this has also stopped working recently.

wackokid
    Free Member

Ive just seen this post, ive found a bug in the 3.6 update where when following a course and you go off course, the garmin tells you that your off course but does NOT recalculate the new route, is doesn’t matter if you have it set to auto or prompt its stopped doing it. I’ve tried this on open street routable maps (which I’ve always used and its worked) but also on the NT GB maps and Discover maps (both official garmin maps) also the openstreet bike maps. I have 2 mates who also have the same issue so its not me cracking up. Ive emailed garmin who says use a routable map (which I am). Ive also downloaded the 3.62 beta version which is exactly the same. Anyone else have any advise? this recalculation is great if getting lost so is extremely annoying that this has stopped working. Ive tried every scenario I can think of with no luck, all happened that I know of since the 3.6 update

bikebouy
    Free Member

I turn my recalculate route off, TBH I found it a proper PITA to use. Most folks I know turn theirs off too..

I’m running 3.62 beta too, not had any problems to date. It even fixed the “off route” crash.

ratherbeintobago

I’m loathe to replace it with another Garmin product, but there doesn’t seem to be anyone out there doing anything similar – Bryton perhaps, but they don’t seem to be widely available here & reviews seem mixed.

Polar M450?

Only thing that would put me off is that the mounts aren’t compatible (and there isn’t a Polar stem cap yet…)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve an 800, thinking of selling it as I never use it anymore. Surprised TBH STRAVA haven’t made a good app yet. They have all the mapping, ride logs, etc, why not just add a feature to follow someone else’s ride? Pop on a waterproof case and bar mount and you’re good to go.

Really what I want is an Edge 800 (or 810 or 1000), but with a 1080*1920 screen, and integrated with mapmyride.

jimdubleyou

I’ve an 800, thinking of selling it as I never use it anymore. Surprised TBH STRAVA haven’t made a good app yet. They have all the mapping, ride logs, etc, why not just add a feature to follow someone else’s ride? Pop on a waterproof case and bar mount and you’re good to go.

Have you seen the “My Routes” feature?

I use Runtastic MTB which is pretty good, but I think Strava do a similar thing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member

Have you seen the “My Routes” feature?

I use Runtastic MTB which is pretty good, but I think Strava do a similar thing.

It does, but the OS mapping on the 800 is a bit poor, made doubly so by the screen, especially when trying to find small bits of cheeky singletrack.

All it’d need is 2 screens, swipe left for speed/power/distance/cadence etc, swipe right for a map with .gpx overlayed on it (and turn by turn directions on the road).

bikebouy
    Free Member

But.. If you use strava then your phones all exposed on the bars innit. Not the most robust of things phones.

My 810 has been doused in crap a number of times, still working 😀

I’ve kinda stopped fiddling with my 810 now. Seem to have found a very comfortable set of settings and pages and it’s been working fine. Loath to get rid/change and think I’ll be using it for a while longer yet (unless Garmin release an 1200 with interactive tea making facilities)

Only thing I’m considering is another cadence sensor thats not the dangly thing on the stay.. Anyone know if there is a hub sensor available ?

stumpy01

ratherbeintobago – Member

Polar M450?

Doesn’t look like it does breadcrumb trail style mapping (or any other type of mapping) which is the main ‘non-working’ issue with my Edge 500?
    Oh, that and the main function button intermittently refusing to work and the Garmin fix of ‘do a hard reset’ requiring the non-functioning button to be pressed to achieve it – last time I did it, as hard reset took almost an hour of constant trying before the stars aligned and the synchronous 3-button press actually worked….

I should really just accept it’s a piece of cak & replace it, shouldn’t I!? 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Only thing I’m considering is another cadence sensor thats not the dangly thing on the stay.. Anyone know if there is a hub sensor available

You’re not gonna get a hub mounted cadence sensor… There’s a hub mounted speed sensor and crank mounted cadence sensor, both use accelerometers and don’t need magnets. Both are bulky though, IMO the GSC-10 is neater.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But.. If you use strava then your phones all exposed on the bars innit. Not the most robust of things phones.

Garmin Edge 1000 is £350, or an 810 for about £300.

You can pick up a quad core android phone for £55, might have to spend more to get something like an S3 or similar compatible with a lifeproof or otterbox case, but it’ll be no more fragile than a Garmin.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Garmin Edge 1000 is £350, or an 810 for about £300.

no idea why people quote absurd prices

2 minute look on 1 website

Rose Bikes,

Garmin 810 – £214 inc delivery

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/garmin-edge-810-gps-bike-computer/aid:787300

Garmin 1000 – £292 inc delivery

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/garmin-edge-1000-gps-bike-computer/aid:787320

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘PSA Garmin Edge software update available to 3.6’ is closed to new replies.