Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • PSA – for those charcoal BBQ users….
  • DrP

Get a BBQ chimney starter, seriously!

They may cost about £20, but I used mine for the first time today, and with 2 sheets of newspaper you can successfully light a whole BBQs worth of brickettes painlessly and in little to no time!

All the hassle of ‘traditional coal BBQing’ has now gone!

That is all!

DrP

(in typical DrP fashion, I will now become a self proclaimed BBQ expert, and build a smoking box and gather other paraphernalia related to grilling!! I’ve already cooked a pizza on my BBQ today!)

Murray

Well worth it – I’d never be without one now. Still a slightly pointless activity when there’s a perfectly good cooker indoors.

cranberry
    Free Member

slightly pointless activity

Murray – you are posting on a site dedicated to the art of riding around in a loop just to get back to where you began* 🙂

* well, minus some calories and plus a smidgen and a half of endorphins.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

But then why cook food when there’s plenty to eat that’s cold…Save the £500 on a cooker, save money on pans, utensils yadda yadda…. Sandwiches for the win!

ski
    Free Member

Just watch out the first time you empty the hot bricketts into your BBQ unless you want the singed eyebrow look 😉

P20

Our BBQ came with a free chimney-starter-thingy. It does make it very easy. Wouldn’t have bought one though

jota180
    Free Member

£20!

£0 is a better price, made from a catering sized corned beef can
    No need to pour any coals out either, just lift it up and out they fall

rogerthecat
    Free Member

large quantities of accelerants have always served me well, I shall be removing all exposed superficial hair from the front of my body in about an hour or so. See you all in casuality.

Scapegoat

rogerthecat – Member
    large quantities of accelerants have always served me well, I shall be removing all exposed superficial hair from the front of my body in about an hour or so. See you all in casuality.

White spirit FTW (unless there’s a bit of 2stroke mix left over from the strimmer)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

mmmmmm two stroke, more flavour than Hickory chips, 😀

ratherbeintobago

See you all in casuality.

You mean the Emergency Department*

Andy

*unless one is engaged in the sporting pastime known as pissing off the A&E docs.

ratherbeintobago
    Dancake
    Free Member

Still a slightly pointless activity when there’s a perfectly good cooker indoors.

I cooked on a Gas BBQ last night. Surely the most pointless of all.

I suggested to Mrs Dancake that I cook using our grill 20 paces away in the kitchen and transfer the food outside. “No” was the answer.

So I got the BBQ out, scraped/ burned the 12 Month old fat/ filth off it, cooked on it (badly), ate it, put it all away.

DrP

It’s the theatre of it all isn’t it? Gosh-you lot are miserable sometimes!

DrP

qwerty
    Free Member

Take your BBQ indoors and hey presto… instant kebab shop!

Junkyard
    Free Member

That is the pic from above

wrightyson
    Free Member

Grilletto here, built in chimney goodness every time!!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Apart from the mess from the charcoal, lack of control and getting rid of the ash, etc the next day.

cotic853
    Free Member

Lighting up is much easier when you burn wood

[Apoogies for the improvised stand]

DrP

Apart from the mess from the charcoal, lack of control and getting rid of the ash, etc the next day.

Weber one touch premium baby….sweeps it all into a tub in the bottom….tip that onto the compost/bin/neighbours garden…..
    And you get great control with charcoal/bricks – just don’t layer the bricks over the whole bottom – generally I leave 1/3 free, so you have a graded heat source.

I’m planning on cooking beer can chicken for Sunday roast next weekend!

DrP

jota180
    Free Member

I can highly recommend a BBQ’d shoulder of lamb that’s had a nice marinade

http://www.familyoven.com/recipe/grilled-lamb-shoulder-provencale/84390

DrP

Oooh – looks nice! Might do that for mon/tues!

My manly task for this week is to fabricate a ‘stand’ to support my chicken/beer can combo!
    Will post up with progress (and do post if you’ve made something similar!)

DrP

toby1

What hassle of starting a BBQ, stack up blocks, place regular fire lighter blocks, apply flame to lighters, walk away, return 5 minutes later to fan gently, build flames, leave for 40 or so minutes and return to test heat.

Lids avoid flaming charred food, coal should be left for near enough an hour before putting any food on.

It is simple and very enjoyable.

The only on problem I have is the massive trolley my BBQ comes on is 2 inches wider then the shed door, it does go in, but not without a good bit of faffing every time.

I just lunched on left over burger (homemade of course), stuffed pepper, salad, houmous and coleslaw, so good, even a day later!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Cotic853, what’s that arrangement with the roof at the far end of you BBQ for?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What hassle of starting a BBQ, stack up blocks, place regular fire lighter blocks, apply flame to lighters, walk away, return 5 minutes later to fan gently, build flames, leave for 40 or so minutes and return to test heat.

what a load of faff – charcoal in chimney starter, paper in bottom, place on barbecue and light paper. 30 or so minutes later, coup the chimney into the barbecue – no lighters, no fanning, no bother

the chimney starter is pure dead brilliant, as brilliant as a brilliant thing can be.

ourmaninthenorth

Also just lunched on leftover chicken thighs (which had a nice paprika rub on them(.

Grilled some monkfish last night. I like cooking outdoors.

Need to prefect the4 art of the multilevel fire though.

And I plan to do some BBQing as well as grilling. 3 hour pork ribs anyone?

ransos
    Free Member

charcoal in chimney starter, paper in bottom, place on barbecue and light paper. 30 or so minutes later, coup the chimney into the barbecue

Charcoal in pile on BBQ, one firelighter, one match, wait 30 minutes, spread it out and start cooking. Works every time. The chimney is a solution in search of a problem.

toby1

You say faff, I say ritual 🙂

I love cooking over a fire, but I do need to learn more about slow cooking and smoking.

Smoked brisket is on the todo list for this year I feel = as is some homebrewed BBQ – so if anyone has any recipes?

Stoner
    Free Member

making me hungry.
    Going to fire up my BBQ this evening for it’s inaugural meat-cindering blast-furnacing! Some chops marinading at the moment for the boy’s tea tonight.

Made this last autumn but never got around to using it as I had to wait for a mate to fabricate a custom grill shelf for it. Which took him about 6 months to do 🙄

My own fault really – top tip: if building your own BBQ dont think you’re a smartarse by sizing it to the concrete slabs, because you wont find an off-the-shelf grill to fit it! 😳

warton
    Free Member

and with 2 sheets of newspaper you can successfully light a whole BBQs worth of brickettes painlessly and in little to no time

I can do this without whatever it is you’re using, bit of paper, few pieces of kindling, charcoal. 30 mins later ready to cook on

cotic853
    Free Member

Its a lid over the chimney. It doesnt really have a useful function but I thought it would look good. I did have plans to fit a damper in the chimney but experiments showed it wasn’t a good idea. The whole thing gets extremely hot with lots of ineffiecient and wasted radiant heat off the firebox but with a big fire the flames come out of the chimey and it looks really great in the dark.

Gary_M
    Free Member

with 2 sheets of newspaper you can successfully light a whole BBQs worth of brickettes painlessly and in little to no time

Few sheets of rolled up newspaper and english charcoal and there is no need for any additional bits or firelighters etc.

The charcoal lights very easily and gives the food a lovely clean taste.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘PSA – for those charcoal BBQ users….’ is closed to new replies.