Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • PSA: For The SWINLEY Folk
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Chatting to the chief trail pixie yesterday, with 6 ongoing lawsuits against the crown for injuries on the trails aparently they've begun checking permits.

No idea what the consequences of not having one are, but I suspect the ultimate consequence if they have 6 lawyers chasing them, and people refusing to cough up £20 a year to ride there, might be a big fence and a "no cycling" sign.

Remember this it's private land, and £20 is less than a couple of rounds down the local.

juiced
    Free Member

why the hell would you bring a lawsuit against swinley??

If you crash it's your fault. Granted someone may crash into you, but that's part of the deal.

rootes1

Wish you could just get a day permit via txt and keep the ref on your phone… That would save a bit of hassle for those not wanting a year pass etc

juiced
    Free Member

just pay at the checkout/ reception

nicko74

6 ongoing lawsuits? That's **** ridiculous – what do you reckon to it being parents of kids who've fluffed one of the jumps? You just have to hope that these clowns don't persuade the landowners to stop all biking there…

tiger_roach
    Free Member

So if you ride without a permit you can sue them? OK….

atlaz
    Free Member

Some people are like that though. Of course on the other hand, it might be that someone claimed on their insurance for a crash (loss of earnings or whatever) and the insurance company is suing.

This sort of thing is why Esher Shore is shutting

bobster
    Free Member

£2 for a day pass

Saw 3 or 4 kids in jump gulley on inappropriate bikes with no lids yesterday

mikey74
    Free Member

This sort of thing is why Esher Shore is shutting

No it's not: Esher shore is shutting because not enough people are using it to make it financially viable. It needs to take approx. £200 min /week to be viable and with fewer and fewer people going, they were taking mere fractions of this. That is why it is closing.

Now, the cost of the insurance may be a factor in this, but is not comparable to what this thread is about.

With regard to the OP: I find it unbelievable that someone would sue, but that's me. People seem to be on a mission to rid the South-East of all it's riding venues. It really needs to be sorted out or else we may find us left with no where to ride our bikes.

Pay up as you are nicely asked to, or please stay away and leave it to the rest of us who are willing to contribute.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wish you could just get a day permit via txt and keep the ref on your phone… That would save a bit of hassle for those not wanting a year pass etc

£2 at reception and sign the list, takes ohhhhhhh 90seonds? Any you get a big sticker to wrap arround your bike 😀

viv
    Free Member

this isn't going to go down well but….

I quite often ride without a pass, just haven't got my arse in gear to get the year pass so always pay on the day – but if the shops shut I still ride, always carry cash so if the guys stop me I'l offer to pay then.

Im not re-working my day just so can buy a pass, if they are shut I still ride.

Went today and bought one, was there after 10.30, well busy though.

In a round about sort of way I've probably paid more overall through not getting a year pass…

Blame culture happens, the absurdities of modern life eh?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Under 16's don't need a permit

Most of the permits money goes into the 3rd party liability, NOT into personal injury cover, you could sue whether you have a permit or not. I guess the "who are the se people suing" last for soem people about as long as it takes for someone to knock on your door and offer you about enough money to pay off your mortgage oif you'll just say you didnt see that jump.

gee
    Free Member

I wonder what the details of the lawsuits are? I try to avoid the place at weekends now as the 2-way trails are suicide in the summer when you can't see more than a few feet in front of you.

GB

allthepies
    Free Member

>Im not re-working my day just so can buy a pass, if they are shut I still ride.

You can buy annual AND day passes on line BTW.

http://www.mbsawebsite.com/

Reluctant
    Free Member

There aren't many good things to be said about living in Bracknell, I can't think of any right now 😆 But I have got Swinley Forest 5 minutes from my back door, and I'm perfectly happy to pay £20 a year to use it. It's the only thing that makes life here bearable.

nickc

Inappropriate bikes? 30 years ago i was arseing 'bout in a quarry on a road bike…and helmets didn't exist then…

sense of proportion?

forge197
    Free Member

I used go early to try and avoid the two-way trail issue, only had a couple of incidents in the time I rode there regularly but you just have to remain aware!!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

given the spaz's in their 3/4 Fila tracky bottoms and england tops I've seen riding round there on hugely shit bikes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've hurt themselves on a trail that was beyond their ability whilst showing off to some fat munter with a croydon facelift smoking a fag at the side of the trail.

viv
    Free Member

allthepies – if my computer opens that link ill use it – good point, thanks.

forge197 – speaking of the two-way trail issue…… a guy today literally rode straight into me, so much so he endo'd and it was pretty much me and my bike stopping him from a crash – quite funny but could've been a smash.

If you're reading this I hope your bikes alright, mines fine….

pk-ripper – what, so now chav's/'not so well offs' are not responsible enough to enjoy the country side?! Nice generalization there……get a grip, its there for everyone and everynow and then people hurt themselves, no type of person is anymore pre-disposed to being an idiot than another – but I guess some types of person are more pre-disposed to being judgmental and smug….

forge197
    Free Member

viv – that's pretty much what happened to me one morning was a surprise for both involved!!

brakes
    Free Member

no type of person is anymore pre-disposed to being an idiot than another

now that's a generalisation

allthepies
    Free Member

>allthepies – if my computer opens that link ill use it – good point, thanks.

no probs – the site seems to be down currently though

cinnamon_girl

Any idea of the breakdown, ie what percentage of the income from permits divided into trail insurance and maintainance?

These law suits – is it just mtb'ers involved or does Joe Public figure in the scenario?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

viv – Member

pk-ripper – what, so now chav's/'not so well offs' are not responsible enough to enjoy the country side?! Nice generalization there……get a grip….but I guess some types of person are more pre-disposed to being judgmental and smug….

Yup, they are. Same as some people deem themselves too important not to disrupt their day just to adhere to the standard rules of a place they *want* (note that's want, not need) to ride.

cinnamon_girl

Can I question some rules then? Why should I as a mtb'er pay for a permit and be told to ride responsibly when Joe Public, ie uncontrolled dogs, untethered kids, idiot parents, etc etc., do not use the Forest in a responsible manner?

If an accident occurs involving a mtb'er, guess who will be blamed?

Apologies for my cynicism. 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

Count yerself lucky, a horsey permit for Swinley is £170 / year.

cinnamon_girl

How many dogs have personal liability cover? It's normally included within pet insurance but how many folk are prepared to be ripped off for that?

I'm getting worked up now …

rootes1

Thisisnot is not a spoon. Re you rely above re txt… it was just an idea… Normally buy in advance and keep the payp receipt on my phone as proof… Sometimes though I just end up at swinley as part of a ride and normally I enter from bag shot end so getting a permit from the lookout is not that handy… Or sometimes it is not open…. Txt payment is simple and might increase rev if simple to do… Like I said it was just an idea… Thanks for jumping down on me for the idea…… Si

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

C_G,

I was under the impression that the vast majority of the £20 is to cover 3rd party liability for MTB'ers with trail maintenance only benifiting from a small portion.

Dogs, kids, parents, aren't traveling at 30mph round narrow singletrack? If there were no MTB's would ther be any crashes requiring £5million (or whatever it is) 3rd party cover?

philconsequence
    Free Member

if it helps then i *think* that cyclezone in crowthorne is open 'til 7pm most weeknights and they def sell the annual permits, tis where i got the other half's and mine 🙂

at first i was all very angry at the thought of paying to cycle in the woods, especially as dog walkers etc dont have to pay to enter the same woods….. but considering how well kept the trails are and it is private land…. 20 quid for a year is prety awesome! means we can ride there any time of the day and night, no having to plan beforehand and buy a day pass or queue up on busy days etc.

i've had 2 nasty spills at swinley, one has buggered my shoulder up and still get pain with certain movements.. but i wouldn't dream of sueing swinley! as much as i'd like to blame someone else or the condition of the ground etc etc…..rider error, simple as.

thepurist

From the Gorrick website :-

Where does my money go?

* The greater portion pays for the £5 million Public Liability insurance cover, which is a requirement set by the Crown Estate.
    * To the Crown Estate for the general upkeep of the amenities of the woods; tracks, fences, signs etc. and to pay for the rangers.
    * On administration of the scheme.
    * Signage within the forest.
    * Any surplus funds are ploughed back into maintaining the excellent singletrack.

Why do I need insurance?

* The Public Liability insurance covers you if you are involved in a collision with a member of the public. Please note that your household insurance does not cover you. If you do not have a permit you are trespassing.

So most of our cash goes to the insurers to cover you/them for some ned sueing you/them, and any work on the trails is done with the leftovers. Despite that there has been some trail maintenance this year – the top of the Deerstalker has been repaired, the main part of the Labyrinth has has a load of drainage ditches dug, various unofficial features have been flattened or made safer etc.

If anyone objects to the permit scheme then there's plenty of permit-free riding in the area, much of which is probably as good as or better than 80-90% of Swinley.

nickc

if they've hurt themselves on a trail that was beyond their ability

There are trails like this at Swinley?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

given the spaz's in their 3/4 Fila tracky bottoms and england tops I've seen riding round there on hugely shit bikes,

ned

Good to see that every man/woman/child in the woods and not on a £1000+ bike is considered some kind of lower form of society.

At the jumps the other week some muppet on £3k of trek fuel-ex left me speechless after proclaiming to a group of us that we should watch out incase out bikes snapped from the jumping, given that our motley assortment of jump bikes and 456 were more than upto the task I politely told him to get a life. After reading some of that ———^ looks like he's not the only one with that oppinion.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhh yes 🙂

And if you think otherwise either your a biking god or havent been looking hard enough 🙂

nickc

Really? I ain't no riding deity, but c'mon Swinley? Hard trails?

deary me…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jump Gulley – cleared everything, including the hip and the drops?

mountainbike area – done all the drops?

That and the shear volume of trails means there's always something 'new', even if it just turns out to be riding a trail you already knew in the opposite direction.

Just my oppinion but people get hung up on 'hard' trails. I can ride most of what's in front of me, even if it has to be completed at trails pace. It's a bit like saying that being a racing driver is easy because you once did a trackday at Silverstone and didn't crash once. Yes, but could you do it at twice that pace?

cinnamon_girl

Dogs, kids, parents, aren't traveling at 30mph round narrow singletrack? If there were no MTB's would ther be any crashes requiring £5million (or whatever it is) 3rd party cover?

Surely everybody has to take responsibility for themselves, their kids and their dogs, granny etc?

On the singletrack, I have seen dog walkers, runners, snoggers. Where is their personal responsibility?

So most of our cash goes to the insurers to cover you/them for some ned sueing you/them, and any work on the trails is done with the leftovers. Despite that there has been some trail maintenance this year – the top of the Deerstalker has been repaired, the main part of the Labyrinth has has a load of drainage ditches dug, various unofficial features have been flattened or made safer etc.

Agree with you there thepurist!

nickc is a very good rider but doing a bit of Monday morning trolling me thinks. 😉

cinnamon_girl

Of course the Crown Estate could always make the car park Pay & Display thus ensuring almost everyone has 3rd party liability insurance cover.

Another nice little earner for them.

viv
    Free Member

when I fell off my apollo 24 speed the trails felt hard against my elbow….

soobalias
    Free Member

nobody should be riding swinley without full body armour and proper DH bike!
    no excuse for not buying a permit tho.

There is better riding closer to me that isnt motorway like in the summer and a chopped up overused mess in the winter, so i dont bother to make the 30min drive anymore.

Good point above about people not directly taking out lawsuits, but claiming against sports/home insurance for loss of earnings and the insurance company doing it.
    Nice to hear details of the ongoing claims

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘PSA: For The SWINLEY Folk’ is closed to new replies.