Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • PSA for the old byways nerds
  • scotroutes

BBC Alba have a new, 6 part series on the old drove roads and the folk that used them.
    Starts 19.00 tomorrow (Tue 6th).

cinnamon_girl

Wot about those livin’ dahn Sarf??? 🙁

Bet that’s interesting though, shame there’s no English or Welsh equivalent. Really enjoy these types of programmes. 8)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ahhh…thats one good thing about bloody Sky, (& there’s not many) at least I can watch it.

Cheers Col.

P20

Will set the freesat recorder for that one. Cheers

piemonster

Excellent, ta

br
    Free Member

ta

wonnyj
    Free Member

Some of my formative MTB experiences were on old drove roads in the Borders. Pick a line on the map and follow it through bogs and over barbed wire fences. Ah happy days…..

h4muf
    Free Member

What number sky channel? Can’t find it!

scotroutes

Should be in iPlayer at some point. I’ll post up when I find it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Channel 143 on Sky?

StirlingCrispin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00m0kxd/episodes/guide

Hope it’s not in gaelic! I have various copies of the Scottish Hill Tracks book – well worth getting a copy, although it’s bloody useless for planning routes.

scotroutes

I’m assuming that (like Tir is Teanga) it’ll be subtitled.

(I also note that it’s been previously broadcast but I guess it’ll be new to most folk)

I have various copies of the Scottish Hill Tracks book – well worth getting a copy, although it’s bloody useless for planning routes.

I do some voluntary work for Scotways (Scottish Rights of Way Society) and some of my surveys will end up in future editions of the Hill Tracks book. In the meantime you might want to look at their Heritage Paths website as that is kept more up-to-date and often features other, non-RoWs.

This is one of mine 😀 As you can see, I’m trying to cater for all likely users.

matt_outandabout

Sounds great.

StirlingCrispin

That’s a useful link Mr Scotroutes, Sir. Thank you.

cdaimers

Some of my formative MTB experiences were on old drove roads in the Borders. Pick a line on the map and follow it through bogs and over barbed wire fences. Ah happy days…..

Same for me for the last 20 years, 2 years ago was building a large wind farm in lammermuirs I discovered some back history on the herring roads between Eyemouth and the central borders. Really amazing and we had a big fight with the landowner who wanted them hidden and closed…

globalti
    Free Member

Will the A9 be in the programme?

Seriously though, I love packhorse trails, drove roads etc. Should be able to wantch it on Iplayer.

scotroutes

😆 No, but I have lots of photos of it…..

Trekster

Scotroutes
    Have you surveyed the Muirkirk to Wanlockhead track?

scotroutes

Nope. I did look at the old track from Muirkirk between Cairn Table and Little Cairn Table over to North Bottom and Shawhead as this appears to be of similar vintage. However, it is almost impossible to find in its lower reaches and so could not be considered worthwhile as an access route.

Scotways are always happy to have more up-to-date surveys if you think you have something to add/alter.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

161 on Virgin
    Set for record, cheers

cakefacesmallblock

“Darn Sarf” will get football and darts.
    I watch a few iplayer BBC Wales and Alba things, It just sometimes feels as though the BBC genuinely believe that English people can’t survive without their massive annual overdose of darts, snooker, football and golf. Jeez we send out some sort of message to the world at large 🙄

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘PSA for the old byways nerds’ is closed to new replies.