Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 202 total)
  • PSA: Fatbike is no longer niche, I've bought one (also PSA Fatty's are £640)
  • northernmatt

Sat here clicking refresh on Yodel’s website to see if the bloke at our old house has signed for it yet. I’ve spoken to him and he’s aware of whats going on, nice chap.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sat here clicking refresh on Yodel’s website to see if the bloke at our old house has signed for it yet. I’ve spoken to him and he’s aware of whats going on, nice chap.

Mine was updated up untill it got to the local depot, the driver just had a photocopied bit of paper for me to sign. The tracking didn’t update to say it had been dispatched from the depot untill after I’d already got it.

northernmatt

Just had a text from him. It’s there. 😀

rOcKeTdOg

Does he like the way it rides?

trout
    Free Member

Tubeless with Floaters and on-one rims? Good luck with that

Got over 1000 miles on my OO wheels tubelessed with Floaters no problems or punctures ( well one where I got tangled in some barbed wire in the Pyrenees)

hofnar
    Free Member

I have a floater that wa used before for a bit say 250 km put ghetto tubeless went up best of my by now 15 tries with mixed tyres. That’s not on the on one rims but a 47mm bonz one.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I’d also get funky with the cutter size, I cut 350gm off my 1200gm German rims using an envelope pushing 44mm cutter, and could have gone lighter with a better hole size (say 2 x 36) and pattern (but I like those kind of challenges)

Are these the Robsson rims? If so could I see the 44mm holes? I’m planning on doing mine with a 30mm holesaw, and even that seems to be pretty big.

andyv
    Free Member

Discounted pink tyred Fatty arrived yesterday. Now lined up in particularly non-niche mancave next to Giant, Trek, Spesh and Cannondale.

Mate and fellow STW’er ‘singlecrack’ sells his fatty in disgust as great unwashed masses commonality reigns.

Edit: fast service from on-one here, programmed for build on the 10th it was actually built on the 8th and with me being ridden on the 11th.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Yeah, mine turned up on time, just needing it’s handlebars straightening and pedals bolting on.

Great service from On One and really good communications throughout.

Just need two things now – A: some snow and B: my wife to stop laughing at it…..

northernmatt

Unboxed this morning. Just stuck some Wellgo V8 copies on for now that I had lying around. I’ll put some Saints on when my bank balance has recovered. Only ridden it round the car park with a big grin on my face.

cynic-al
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9hXaq3]IMAG0334.jpg[/url] by alan cole, on Flickr

It’s a bit marginal around the spoke holes, but I drilled mine offset/inline, to get it dishless, I think, it was 3 years ago and was drinking too much 8) .

[url=https://flic.kr/p/aimAec]IMG_1427[/url] by alan cole, on Flickr

zippykona

I do love that Marin.

doh
    Free Member

Got a nice dusting of snow here just a pity it’s hiding 10cm of slop underneath it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s for sale Zippy!

chrishc777
    Free Member

How much pence al?

Bucko

Mine should arrive next week. How essential is it that I buy some Hope QRs? I suppose it depends on how much I would enjoy the wheels falling off.

Seriously though, how much of a problem are the On One QRs?

leeph
    Free Member

Collecting my Fatty tomorrow from On-One Edinburgh…..excited!

Do I need to factor in new QR’s as well as better brakes?

cynic-al
    Free Member

chrishc777 – Member

How much pence al?

If that’s not a joke, email me! (frame only for sale mind!)

hot_fiat

Not had a problem with my qrs. if you do get some hopes, remember they’re a funny size: iirc front is a standard 135 rear, rear is 170mm weirdness.

tomd
    Free Member

leeph – I picked mine up today from Planet X in Edinburgh. I got an email on Wednesday saying it was ready but they’re a bit snowed under at the moment and it was still boxed up when I went to get it. The guys were great but worth giving them a call if you haven’t already just to save you waiting around.

leeph
    Free Member

Cheers hot fiat…..will try before I spend more cash.

Let’s hope for snow!

johnnystorm

I wouldn’t rush out and buy new qrs straight away. My first fatty was no hassle and my new one appears to have a different design of qr.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Had a look at mine last night whilst changeing the tubes* and tyres over. The ridges machined into the QR ends are pretty blunt. When I’ve got 5 minutes I’ll file them into something a bit sharper and more pronounced just to be safe.

*Are they actualy motorcycle tubes? I’ll send them to my dad to use in his Royal Enfield!

hypnotoad
    Free Member

cynic-al – cheers for the photo’s, I think I’m gonna have to get the drill out on my rims. 🙂

Also I found the front QR gave me a few issues with the wheels moving a little in the dropout causing the brake to rub. A shimano rear QR works great on the front.

dudeofdoom

Wow it comes in the biggest box ever 🙂

andyr
    Free Member

Wow it comes in the biggest box ever

I’m hoping so for my 3.5 year old sons sake. Hours of fun to be had playing in a massive box…. 😯

johnnystorm

I said earlier…wouldn’t rush out and buy new qrs straight away. My first fatty was no hassle and my new one appears to have a different design of qr.

And I got back today to hose the Fatty down and the rear wheel was half out of the drive side dropout. /facepalm

rickmeister

Back to tubes, Schwalbe SV 13F.

kimbers

Saw 2 kids aged about 6 or 7 on mongoose fatbikes in Ealing park today

Edit, was this one
    http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/20-Mongoose-Boys-Massif-Black-Yellow/29741122

Trekster

image by john_henry_mtb, on Flickr
    Flying RM Blizzard

leeph
    Free Member

Exactly the same issue, rode my new bike yesterday up near cheviot and today on the beach. Thought the rear brake needed setting up properly – turned out to be the rear drive side skewer half of the dropout.

What’s the fix? Hope skewers?

johnnystorm

Going to try the file option first. Hopes are £30 a pair and Salsa Flip-offs £45 ish. Salsa come in Orange if that helps… 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My gears felt like they were skipping, rear QR slipping? Couldn’t see any evidence of it but couldn’t find anything else wrong.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I use a Hope QR on the back, and a Shimano QR on the front. No issues.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ordered some bragain Hope QR’s, in purple* for £16

*clashes horribly, but at least they’re not bland.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Trekster – what do you think of the RM?
    Also – where is that picture taken?

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve had mine a week now and given it a pretty good test over three rides. I’m really happy with it. It’s the cheapest bike I own but I can see it becoming the most ridden.

I gave it a good run along the coast on Sunday. I felt like a big kid playing in the dunes and just cruising along the beach at low tide drawing shapes on the sand. There’s a lot of exposed bed rock on the coast here so it’s opened up some fantastic technical bits of riding close to home that I never new existed. Fun, fun and more fun.

I gave it a go in some rooty woodland stuff as well. With the wide bars and slack set up it’s great on the singletrack and the grip is crazy on the wet roots. Bits that just wouldn’t be fun normally were great.

The original tyres were rotten, swapped for Floaters which I’m happy with. The seat post is a shade short even for my stumpy legs on a medium frame. Other than that seems good. I’m looking to drill the rims out, lighter tubes and maybe put a carbon fork on at some point. It is heavy, and I can imagine it would be more fun if a bit lighter but it’s definitely good enough as it comes.

Can’t wait to give it a go in the snow and hopefully on some boggy hill routes in the highlands next year. So many new riding possibilities!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just had the most infuriating ride ever on mine!

I presume it’s the single wall nature of the rims, but the tyres don’t seem to want to seat properly with tubes, too 3 or four attempts with a track pump to get the tyre vaguely round and not poping off the rim completely!

So cut to todays ride, afternoon booked off work, weather’s looking reasonable, bikes ready to go.

1st hickup) Missus is ill, I got no sleep, then overslept so couldn’t ride into work.
    2) as a result of 1 I ended up working a bit later than planned, no worry though, by the time I’ve driven home I’ll have made up the time lost, the ride will just be shorter.
    3) realized I’ve removed the towbar bracket from the car and have no idea where it is, so the bike goes into the car.
    4) At the absolute furthest point on the ride from the start I get a puncture. The tubes split completely, not the end of the world, I’ve a spare, and it was stretched quite a bit, maybe I was just unlucky.
    5) get about 50m further down the trail and the tyre pops off the rim. Stop to let it down, re-inflate, try again, pops off, by this point it’s getting dark and drizzling and I’ve had a sense of humour failure, my arm aches and I’ve run out of CO2 cartridges.

I’ve had tubeless woes in the past, but tubed woes? It was beyond irritating! Kept looking at the rim cursing whoever designed/spec’d it. Surely you could make a rim along the lines of the old Atomlab GI with the box section bits on the outside so the tyre doesn’t have that huge step to get over?

Is there a knack to seating fat tyres?

This weekend I will be making life difficult for myself trying to tubeless them.

fd3chris
    Free Member

when i built my rolling chassis i had trouble with the tyres not seating evenly into the rims and giving the wheel an egg shape when spinning. i inflated them up to around 40-50 psi and they eventually sat correctly after i bashed them down on the floor on the high spots. not troubles since and still not trouble with my qr.’s either.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve changed to rolling daryls

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Fatbike is no longer niche, I've bought one (also PSA Fatty's are £640)’ is closed to new replies.