Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • PSA – Decent off-road light for much cheapness (bit early I know!)
  • stumpy01

Saw this on Merlin the other day:

http://www.merlincycles.com/moon-xp1500-front-light-55101.html

Mate of mine has been using one for the last year and it’s bloody bright and pretty well made. For £100 it’s a bargain.
    I’ve recently got hold of one (not through Merlin) and am very impressed so far.
    On the limit of weight as far as a helmet light goes and probably too bulky for that, but good on the bars.
    Not the most even of spreads when on Overdrive (full power) but better when knocked down one level.
    Only thing that is a bit annoying is that is cycles through OFF as you go down through the power levels, so to get from low power back to full you have to momentarily turn it off.
    I think full power does 2.5hrs.

Can take some beam pics over the weekend if anyone is interested.

jekkyl

not as much as bargain as the cree lights from uk sources going for 11.99. I’ve used one of them for loads of rides, lots of offroad incl half of the monkey and had no problems. I’m sure the light you recommend is good though.

domcapper
    Free Member

have you got a link jekkyl?

Dom

somouk
    Free Member

For that money I’d be talking to Smudge from MTB Batteries, as mentioned, there are cheaper CREE alternatives available from all over the place these days.

stumpy01

jekkyl – Member
    ….lots of offroad incl half of the monkey and had no problems.

Why only half? Did the battery run out? 😉

Yeah, you can get cheap lights from all over the place. I’ve got one myself, which has done really well for the last few yrs (almost 4 in fact!).
    But, this is a really nicely made product – feels like it’s gonna last with sturdy mounts, nice quality connectors, a rubberized battery housing that stops your bike getting scuffed when attaching it etc. It comes in an Exposure style fabric hardshell case.

You can probably get something as good in terms of output for a lot less, but this is a nice product nonetheless.

z1ppy

Dom ebay Solarstorm as mentioned the battery and charger are usually suspect (or worth treating with caution).
    So add on a new battery and charger to your overall cost, doesn’t make it quite such a bargain, but if like me you have old spare charger/batteries the headunit is great.
    Proper bike lights have there place (that moon unit is a properly solidy built bit of kit & great output), so do the cheap as chips chinese stuff, that said I’d rather spend £100 on the moon unit over a MJ-872 clone.

jekkyl

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-Lm-CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-Bicycle-Bike-Head-Light-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Head-/251364426698?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item3a867cc3ca

I’m pretty sure you’re taking the mickey stumpy but i’ll answer anyway 😛 half the monkey because I started when it was light. My mates had the same light as me neither of us have had any problems whatsoever. The battery lasts just about 2.5hrs at full pelt but at that price buy another battery won’t cost the earth.

stumpy01

Crazy! jekkyl, How can they provide that whole thing for £12!? Amazing…
    I just don’t understand it from a parts, assembly, shipping point of view….!

Pretty much throw away now, aren’t they!? Run it for the winter and just get a new one if the battery craps out…

Like I say, I’ve got a cheap light that I have been using as my helmet light.
    And some Lumicycles for the bars. The Lumicycles are starting to get a bit temperamental now though (diy led conversion).

I suppose something like the Moon light is equivalent to a Thompson post or Chris King headset these days….you don’t need to spend that much money on something that does the job, but if you do, then fine…

Oh, and yeah I was joking about the battery running out…!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Decent off-road light for much cheapness (bit early I know!)’ is closed to new replies.