Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • PSA: CycleStreets Journey Planner app now available for Android.
  • GrahamS

For those that don’t know, CycleStreets.net is a UK wide cycle map (based on OpenStreetMap and OpenCycleMap data). It can be pretty useful if you’re not too familiar with an area and want practical commuting routes).

Anyway they’ve just released their Journey Planner app on Android.

More here: http://www.cyclestreets.net/mobile/android/
    (fellow cult members note: it’s been available on the iPhone for a while).

jon1973
    Free Member

Looks interesting. I take a gander at that.

Thanks

GrahamS

Just the one – I thought there were more Android users on here than that.

Ho well.

Cougar

Cheers for the PSA.

The problem I’ve always hit with the open(whatever) maps is that their quality seems to vary by geographical area. But I’ll give it a go as soon as I’ve made some space on my phone.

clubber
    Free Member

Ta graham.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The problem I’ve always hit with the open(whatever) maps is that their quality seems to vary by geographical area

Yes some areas are great, round here we don’t even have all the roads on the map, streets that are on the map are named incorrectly etc. yet other areas have things accurate down to building level. It does however include the Hucknall Central Railway which ceased to be in 1963 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I help improve the quality of my local ones by adding missing stuff 😉

GrahamS

I help improve the quality of my local ones by adding missing stuff

Good lad, me too (I’m GrahamS on there too).

We are getting there with road coverage – large parts of the country are now 100% name complete (i.e. the road is drawn, suitably tagged and has a name matching Ordnance Survey data).

But cycle routes and facilities still need a lot of work in some places. So do please get stuck in.

It’s very easy to record a GPS track on your phone, upload it to OpenStreetMap and use it to update the map.

(I use OSMTrack on the iPhone for this and I’m sure there is an equivalent for ‘droid).

GrahamS

t does however include the Hucknall Central Railway which ceased to be in 1963

Just had a look at this for you ebygomm.

If you mean the grey dotted line named “Great Central Railway” here then that is correctly marked as an “abandoned railway”.

(It probably wouldn’t appear on most renderings of the map, but the map at http://www.openstreetmap.org is intended as a show-everything showcase).

Current railways appear on that map as a grey-white boxed line like this:

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve already got BikeHub, how is this different/better? Not being awkward, genuine question.

GrahamS

I’ve already got BikeHub, how is this different/better?

I’m not sure it is. Just a different take on basically the same thing. Bike Hub uses the CycleStreets map and routing data, but has a different interface.

And CycleStreets even recommend BikeHub on their Mobile Apps page..

ebygomm
    Free Member

My day job means updating Openstreetmap is not really something I can do. But Hucknall area is generally rubbish. For some reason loads of the streets have the wrong ending, e.g. Way instead of Drive, Avenue instead of Street. I can find at least 10 errors in a couple of minutes looking so it ends up where you have no confidence in the rest of the map.

GrahamS

Yep, you can use the “OS OpenData Locator” background in the map editor to compare what the OS says the name should be with what OpenStreetMap have – and there are quite a few discrepancies there.

From the looks of it most of Hucknall was drawn by one bloke (ezyflyer) back in Feb 2010 and it hasn’t been touched since, so no real surprise really. He clearly needs a hand.

If you’re local then you could spend an hour one quiet evening sorting it out and making it better for everybody. I’d be happy to give you pointers.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I work with OS maps (not Opendata) day in day out which is why I’m not comfortable with updating Openstreetmap. I could make most of the corrections from memory but if that memory has been gleaned from looking at Mastermap I’m sure OS would claim copyright 😀

GrahamS

Fair enough ebygomm.

You wouldn’t need to use your memory as there are plenty of open sources available to us (Bing aerial images, OS OpenData, submitted GPS traces and just walking the streets), but I can understand your reluctance.

Cougar

Going back to the OP,

Does the app support App2SD? Cos if not, I’m oot.

GrahamS

Sorry Cougar – I have no idea.

You could ask the developers on the blog here:
    http://www.cyclestreets.net/blog/2011/06/21/cyclestreets-for-android/

Or you could take a look at the source here: https://github.com/cyclestreets

Cougar

Both of those options would involve me caring more. (-:

GrahamS

🙄 fine, I’ve asked on the blog for you

Cougar

Excellent, ta.

It’s a critical feature for me. Until I root my Desire, if an app doesn’t support A2SD then I can’t install it. Simple as that.

GrahamS

Well they responded:
    “GrahamS – Yes, the app can be installed to SD card.”

So looks like you’re good to go Cougar.

Cougar

Awesome. I’ll have a look in a bit. Cheers.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘PSA: CycleStreets Journey Planner app now available for Android.’ is closed to new replies.