• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Basil.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • PSA Commuting Accidents
  • Basil

When you use a backpack to carry you bike lock when you comute, and then at less then 3mph you fall off, the bike lock you land on will crack three of your ribs.
    I now know broken ribs hurt more than a broken collar bone.

chewkw
    Free Member

To cheer you up a bit try watching clips of I.T. Crowd on Youtube. :mrgreen:

benp1

Ouch

Its a classic problem, particularly on motorbikes. I generally wear a back protector underneath or a hard shell rucksack when on a motorbike

When on a bicycle I risk it which isn’t massively sensible. Usually if there’s lots in there then there’s also a laptop which will be my sacrificial lamb

geetee1972
    Free Member

Bike locks can be a menace. I got into a fight once with a bike courier who almost knocked me over on a pavement – I came across his bike down the road and let his tyres down only he caught me doing it!

He pulled a monster D-Lock out of his bag and proceeded to swing at me with it. I managed to sort of block the swing but the d-lock swung in his hand and cracked a rib also.

Fortunately at the same time I was blocking I was also putting in a very sweet hook punch that caught him just on the eye socket.

He went down I didn’t. Twas ever thus…

DezB
    Free Member

I once had a fight with a car – it wasn’t a d-lock, or a rib for that matter, but a chain tool in my back pocket fractured my spine when I landed on it. I never carry anything in jersey pockets any more.

growinglad
    Free Member

Little clip on rear light on the back of my jacket caused a couple of fractured back bones at the bottom. Easily done.

phiiiiil

I had a bruise on my leg that read “YNOS” after I crashed and slid along on a sony camera in my pocket. Alas the camera came off worse than I did.

nach
    Free Member

This is good to know, thanks. I’m having second thoughts about carrying a D-lock behind my lower back.

Big chains worn like bandoliers saved an expensive softshell when I washed out and slid across a road once. Ribs and intercostals also intact, face, not so much.

iainc

how does this fit with ‘The Rules’ about multitools, tyre lever, tube etc must go in the pockets then I wonder ? 😛

DezB
    Free Member

I follow my own rules, man. I’m wild n kerrazy like that.

iainc

😆

ThePinkster

This is one of the reasons why I use panniers when commuting.

Sandwich

Euro saddle satchel FTW. There’s a para-canoeist who became disabled due to sleeping on her full jersey pockets at a 24 hour MTB event between laps. Gels and chewy bars in the jersey for me (possibly a jacket too) but nothing metal if I can avoid it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And yet you can buy hiplocks, a lock designed to be worn around your waist. I can’t think of a worse idea. Broken pelvis anyone?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

For years I have carried a 1″ fat Abus lock around my waist.

I worry about the possible consequences and always carry the keys somewhere in lower pockets in case I wipe out and am unconscious!

I suspect it would break my spine.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Lock gets clipped around my rack…..by that I mean my bike rack.

MoreCashThanDash

Leave big lock at work, small one in pannier for casual stops on way home.

The AUK website includes various very practical tips, one of which is not to carry hard stuff in your pockets or on your back

molgrips
    Free Member

I always try to make sure hard stuff is not near my spine in my back pockets. Glad I am not just being over paranoid…

ads678

Don’t want to sound like a condescending twunt but……

If you pack a rucksack properly, i.e. so nothing sharp or hard is near your back or strap the lock to the outside of the bag nothing ‘should’ injure you.

zilog6128

And yet you can buy hiplocks, a lock designed to be worn around your waist. I can’t think of a worse idea. Broken pelvis anyone?

I actually ordered a Hiplock Lite from Wiggle yesterday. Will have a look at it before deciding whether to keep it. I’m sure they have thought about it and it will be reasonably padded. There are a lot of negative comments about them (all from people who have never seen/used one though of course). The main argument being: just carry your lock in a bag, it’s safer. Err… maybe not!

Basil

Should have gone to Dorset on holiday today.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘PSA Commuting Accidents’ is closed to new replies.