Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 445 total)
  • PSA: Classics season starts this weekend
  • brakes
    Free Member

I really can’t get excited about Milan>San Remo like the other classics. I don’t know whether it’s the last 20km which are the telling moments but are just a bit too urban, being around San Remo.
    I really hope that it is truly attritive and that there are maybe 10 riders in the last 20km in a couple of groups fighting it out having endured the weather but ending in bright sunshine poking through broken clouds, with a non-sprinter taking the finish.
    Maybe even a young rider or a relatively unknown one… or Stannard because he looks like a MAMIL.

crazy-legs

I guessed a slightly longer time than 6.44 as the weather forecast is a bit rubbish. Should be a good one though, so many possible winners of of that lot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thing is the worse the weather the better the Flemish/Walloons go 😆

I’d really like a bolshy Italian to go off the front, someone like Garztelli or Scarponi of old… But they all seem to had faded into the long Italian Sun. That’s why I chose a couple of Bardiani riders, those two have form as well…

Ciao Bella.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

As we’re talking winners I’d like to see either a Ben Swift sprint victory (bloody close last year and talk is he’s been working insanely hard), a Cancellara power braaaaaaap (‘cos you know, it’s awesome!) or Nibali to attack on the last descent and shock everyone with not only his awesome skillz but some awesome form he’s been hiding for just this moment (because I’m a fan buoy and have a man crush on him…)! Erm that’ll do!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Another preview over at inrng. Can’t wait.

Nipper99
    Free Member

BBC sport had this with dates and info

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/31958848

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Halfway for the break.

In many ways women’s cycling is so much better, turn up, rip the legs off each other then go home.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yay, Pirazzi’s in the break..

At least I got something right.. Will they last out there ?

Nope.

Sprint finish I reckon.

wilburt
    Free Member

I am slightly disappointed Cavandish didn’t have stronger legs after 300k in the rain.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Right 40km to go, game on.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Intresting tactics by sky there. Throwing one of their men down in front of the bunch.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

To be fair they were practising quite a lot at Paris Nice

crazy-legs

That descent looked lethal, a horrible “not-quite-dry” greasy dampness. Still surprised at 4th man in line going down, was that Andy Fenn? Interesting result anyway, let’s see if Sky can do a 3-up TTT to the finish…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Drying up nicely now.

crazy-legs

Go G!
    Doubt it’ll stay away but G has been amazing so far in this race.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Go indeed!

Spin
    Free Member

He’s got to drop like Kelly now!

crazy-legs

Oh this is a good one, can G hold it on the descent? Should be easier for a lone rider. Peloton being blown to shreds now. Cav is a great descender too, let’s see what he can do. Nail biting!

crazy-legs

I’m amazed that G has anything left at all!

Spin
    Free Member

Sagan’s still in that lead group.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

ooh nasty

Spin
    Free Member

Is G looking for Swift?

Spin
    Free Member

Kristoff there too. Hard to see past him.

Spin
    Free Member

Wow! Kristoff went too soon. Paulini and G both seriously impressive.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

wow didn’t have that one called at all.

pretty close on the winners time though

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm… well that didn’t go to my Plan at all did it 😆

Hats off to Thomas for sticking it to them all and I’m still scratching my head as to why Van Avemart back peddled with 2 to go..

😕

speckledbob
    Free Member

Poalinin was excellent. But Kristof was too near the front too early. A bit much to ask of Poalini at the end of all that. Good race and I’m happy enough it was Degenkolb.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Great racing that. I was one second off the winner’s time for the Rapha comp. No email…yet 😕

rOcKeTdOg

What a team mate to have, G was outstanding

Nipper99
    Free Member

I enjoyed the Strade Bianche the other week – is that not counted as a spring classic? Just asking as I dont know what counts.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Strada Bianche is a relatively new race, all be it a bloody good one. The true classics are also referred to as the 5 monuments, four of which occur in the spring. The other one day races fight for getting described as semi classics, (of which there is no consensus).

There has been attempts by the UCI to group them into a season long series, but this concept has failed a few times.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_cycle_races

Calling your race a classic in the title does not count as it being one.

brakes
    Free Member

gutted that nothing stuck today and that it came down to the sprinters at the end – seemed like all the drama that had gone before was pretty pointless… but glad Kristoff got pipped by Degenkolb.
    Sky look formidable, even on shonky tyres – shame that they got nothing out of it and I think Swift’s excuse of having no room at the end was a bit lame.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Quickstep lost another semi classic, Dwars door Vlaanderen, yesterday to the Pro Conti team Topsport Vlaanderen.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQC8e7Y3Be0[/video]

E3 on Friday, good race, despite the somewhat dodgy poster department

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looking forward to E3, its on Eurosport too.. Although Gent-Wevelgem isn’t …

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes read about that. Can’t really complain about the Cannondale rider’s tactics if you’re in the strongest team, under the most pressure to win, and in the rainbow stripes! Nice to see Kwiatkowski get stuck in though.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Kwiatkowski’s showing a lot of respect for those stripes, really good to see.

Wonder if he’ll end up at Sky next year as the rumor mill suggests?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Interesting indeed. I’d love to be wrong on this but I really can’t see how Wiggins could win Paris Roubaix.

brakes
    Free Member

it’s either a massively tactical ploy to make the other teams think that he’s got no form and isn’t a threat so he isn’t a marked man, or he actually isn’t a threat…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Currently he’d be, at best, the third protected rider behind Stannard and Thomas, so he needs to prove himself to get even that status.

The tin hat brigade must be doing their nut now!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 445 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Classics season starts this weekend’ is closed to new replies.