Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PSA – Check your sealant
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Two tyres on two different bikes were going down over night recently so checked the sealant today and both were completely dried out with the dry warm spell we’ve had.

Have a good weekend everyone.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Good call- will do!

hatter

This is where milKit valves come in handy, checking mine every few weeks ATM, takes no time at all.

neilthewheel

Continental sealant seems much less prone to drying out or forming rubber balls.

teethgrinder

Just topped up the Stan’s on the Bfe and replaced the Spitfire’s sealant with that Mole Valley tractor tyre sealant diluted 1:1.

stuey
    Free Member

darrenspink = Peaty and I claim my five pounds.
    😉

pobaker
    Free Member

interesting link to the heat! i went to the shed today and couldnt work out why the rear tyre of my HT had decided to go down since last week (seeing as its held perfectly since I set it up). Added some more sealant and went for a ride and no issues. I’d better top the front up as well!

breadcrumb

So we get a few warm days and sealant dries up?

What happens in countries that are actually hot for months on end?

TooTall
    Free Member

I now live in Virginia where it’s hot from June to September. It’s not much difference in tyre sealant to the UK – perhaps a little more used over a year.
    People just notice their poor maintenance when it is needed 😉

superstu
    Free Member

I had to go back after a mile because after pumping my tyres up pre ride they had gone soft. Definitely sealant (hadn’t checked for a while to be fair). Thank god for n+1, grab another and head out!

Poopscoop

hatter – Member
    This is where milKit valves come in handy, checking mine every few weeks ATM, takes no time at all

not heard of those before, pretty good idea.

kayak23

breadcrumb – Member
    So we get a few warm days and sealant dries up?

What happens in countries that are actually hot for months on end?

pnik

In a budget move over the milkit i’ve got an old spoke i use as a dipstick. Admittedly you have to let the air out and remove the valve but cheaper and gives you the info you need without breaking the bead seal. Oh and a stans injector.

boxelder

Orange Seal easy to top up and check with their pipe and dipstick thing.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I am confused about this.
    If your tyres are going down overnight there has to be a bigger issue than dry sealant right?

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I’d imagine so because my Continental Protection tyres had the sealant dry up but they were still very much inflated, probably been like that for ages.

The tyre would stay sealed just because theres no slushy liquid inside, well they should.

hatter

Methods like dipsticks and shaking the tyre to listen for sloshing noises will tell you that there is fluid on you tyre but it won’t tell you what state it’s in whether it’s contaminated, separated etc.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Check your sealant’ is closed to new replies.