• This topic has 20 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by sv.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • PSA: Cheap Draper 'Expert' torque wrench..
  • nockmeister
    Free Member

Tooled Up.com have Expert range of torque wrenches for sale. 5-22Nm for 56quid RRP130
    http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=17854

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not trolling, but when do folk think they NEED these?

sv

but when do folk think they NEED these?

Guessing here but when doing up nuts/bolts etc?

Maybe there are others uses?

foxyrider
    Free Member
    nonk
    Free Member

develop a good hand lad.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks sv very helpful 🙄 I am not trolling.

foxyrider
    Free Member

You can get there quicker with a cheap torque wrench – I ues them on crank bolts esp as I have over tightend them in the distant pass – you can tighten bolts without having to think about it 🙂

nonk
    Free Member

how do you know it's telling the truth?

foxyrider
    Free Member

How'd you know your hand is telling you the truth?

goog
    Free Member

torque wrench … my arse

nockmeister
    Free Member

knew i shouldn't have bothered… 😆

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I have a BBB one which has a test results sheet with it – though I suppose over time it's accuracy will diminish. I had a snapped bolt on my bike which resulted in a £150 item having to be replaced which was done under warranty. Please I could say it was fitted with a torque wrench.

nonk
    Free Member

my hand is cheaper 😆
    i am only pulling your leg mind they do go out but not by much.

adam5555

I have a torque wrench. Ok its not something I use everyday but when it comes to things like crank bolts I use it. Its surprising how far over you can go by doing it by hand. I reckon I was tightening my raceface cranks beyond 20 newtons when it should have only been something like 8, bottom bracket life went up as a result. Good for ensuring not over tightening bars especially carbon.

And I know the argument about calibration and greasing the bolts etc, but speaking to the calibration guy at work he reckoned that torque wrenches were rarely out when they came for there annual calibration thats with alot of use/dropped/misused etc.

foxyrider
    Free Member

So was I nonk 😉

Cougar

Thing is, in order to develop a good hand, one first needs to know what 'correct' feels like, n'est-ce pas? You might as well argue that you don't need a speedo in a car because you should know what 30 / 50 / 70 feels like. Argueably true, but how do you gain that expertise in the first place without a means of measuring?

I've been threatening to get a torque wrench for years, not just for the bike but for car mechanicing and other odd jobs. Never quite managed to ever justify the expense though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'm only leg-pulling also – to 1.45Nm.

bruneep

Just tighten til it creaks then back off half a turn.

Cougar

… Incidentally, this is the one I've had in my Amazon Wish List for ages now, cheap and cheerful and comes with a calibration certificate, 2-24Nm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-STW1012-Torque-Micrometer-1-47-17-70lb-ft/dp/B000RO1ZCG

Dunno if it's any good or not, mind, but seems to fit the bill.

clubber
    Free Member

Does they all come with free calibration every, say 6 months?

If not, can you torque wrench users let me know who you use to recalibrate them, please?

😉

sv

If not, can you torque wrench users let me know who you use to recalibrate them, please?

If possible please let me know where I can get my hand calibrated too, thanks.

I am only joking of course 😉 Now – carbon fibre mtb frames are all plastic rubbish and will fail/kill you. SSC pads fall to bits. On-One is brilliant/rubbish… any others care to add to the STW 'taken for granted' list?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Cheap Draper 'Expert' torque wrench..’ is closed to new replies.