Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PSA (but a PITA) on cheap house ladders
  • johndoh
    Free Member

B&Q doing these ladders at a great price – unfortunately the only way to but them is to go into a B&Q Extra store (no online ordering nor can you order from a ‘normal’ store) and order for home delivery (making a total of £59) but <£60 for a set of 6.6m house ladders seems a total bargain to me.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

im not sure the guy in the pic should be up the ladder in the those shoes

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shame they’re not stocked in any of the stores near me, or a 20 mile radius.

mike_p
    Free Member

“Max load 95Kg”

WTF?!? I think I’d like a slightly wider margin for error

JEngledow
    Free Member

Don’t do it, unless you want to be known as the bloke down the street with the ‘big ladders’!!

footflaps

It’s probably tested to at least 2x the Max rated load.

footflaps

Don’t do it, unless you want to be known as the bloke down the street with the ‘big ladders’!!

That’s not a big ladder. I have two which are longer than that! And at least 3 which are shorter….

johndoh
    Free Member

LOL yes – I have been after a set for ages then saw that a neighbour had a set. I very nearly just asked him if I could just borrow his but stopped myself. No doubt I *will* be asked. 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Bigyin – aren’t you in Leeds?

irc

No use to me as I’m over the weight limit. I’d not like to rely on the fact they are tested to twice the limit if they broke and I couldn’t sue anyone. Also I’d guess they would flex in use much more than a ladder operating under it’s load limit. Not sure a ladder is where I’ll look to save a few quid.

bigyinn
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

Bigyin – aren’t you in Leeds?
    Bigyin might be, but im nowhere near Leeds (thank goodness!). Im on the Isle of Wight!

mudmuncher

I bought some 3 section ABRA ladders from b+q earlier in the year. They scared the sh*t out of me. Narrow and wobbled like hell.

I took them back and bought some Lyte trade ladders online which were an extra £40 but were much more stable and money well spent in my opinion.

alanl
    Free Member

£75 inc. delivery from here:
    http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/alloy-ladders/domestic-alloy-ladders.html

But, as mentioned above, they are domestic ladders and wobble.
    Spend £100, and get a set of Trade ladders:
    http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/alloy-ladders/trade-alloy-ladders.html

Far sturdier, 150kg rated, wider treads etc.
    I’d never buy domestic ladders to get to the top of an house, they really are rubbish compared to the BSEN151 Trade version

mudmuncher

I got mine (Lyte ELT330) from Midland ladders which are a bit cheaper than the link above.

http://www.midlandladders.com/catalog/LYTE_Trade_Ladders-152-1.html

Someone my dad knows fell off his wobbly ladders and got compound fractures in both legs (bones through the skin).

I’d rather pay a bit extra!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

There are certain things I’m quite happy to go ‘cheap n cheerful’ with. Ladders ain’t one of those things.

Once you’ve used a decent set, you’ll know why.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Most class 3 ladders like that are only of the order 100 kg rated. That is a full extension though. They will be wobbly at that height but if your main use is not fully extended then they will be a lot more ridgid.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PSA (but a PITA) on cheap house ladders’ is closed to new replies.