Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • PSA: BBC4 9pm tonight – life on a mountain, blencathra
  • binners

Looks like another belter. Stunning photography and film from someone who’s self taught, and spent his redundancy money on making his film of Scafell, which is beautiful, if you haven’t watched it already.

Perfect Valentine’s Day viewing! 🙂

matt_outandabout

Ah’s jarn wee crack a deek aboot.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member
    simondbarnes

Cheers! Video set in case I fall asleep before 9.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Should be good, already on reminder.

Bit shaken because I don’t know where in buggery it is.

Not too sure it’s ideal viewing for Valentine’s Day, perhaps Bridget Jones Diary ?

spacemonkey

Excellent heads up fella.

Recorderiser set in case we too fall asleep.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers, watching now.

just finished watching robson green program on the hebrides there too, was just on stv, worth a watch if you can find it. (I just caught the second half, decent though.)

jekkyl

that ‘path’ those guys were working on looked like it would make a great descent.

colournoise

Who knew. I’ve been mispronouncing Skiddaw for years…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bit shaken because I don’t know where in buggery it is.

Really ? It’s one of the Lake Districts iconic mountains

jekkyl

beautiful filming. absolutely stunning.

colournoise

Agreed. Beautiful photography. Probably a bit saturated and overprocessed for some on here though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah, it’s on the A66 from Keswick to Penrith.. I thought I’d seen it before.. but it was called Skiddaw..
    I’m more a fan of Borrowdale, have a lovely Hotel I stay in there.

Nice photography, shite music, lovely people so far but why include the token Yorkshire Man ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Will catch it later, download better than streaming and the subtitles work properly that way

justinbieber

@colournoise – ha ha, very funny. It’s not as nicely shot and processed as his Scafell film – it is to saturated and contrasty. When you have blown highlights and lost shadows in the same shot, something ain’t right.

@jekkyl – there are loads of brilliantl descents off Blencathra.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Beeeeeeautiful choir 😀

mintimperial

why include the token Yorkshire Man ?

Heh. You should watch the Scafell Pike one. There’s some proper nutters in that one. Good film though, a bit less overdone than this is.

Nice to see Ed Byrne in there though, didn’t know he was a mountain type.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Enjoyed it, loved the photography, loved the people, great to see it from a locals POV.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Lovely………..

brought back memories of descending Sharp edge…… although they didnt show the slippery slab !

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ we’ll have TMH on here soon speaking about epic climbs / descents on shear ice 😉

colournoise

Have to admit that the pink tinted shots near the end were a bit much even for me.

Makes me glad that the BBC still make stuff like this though.

Helvellyn next?

greentricky
    Free Member

Skiddaw and Blencathra are adjacent but not the same right?

colournoise

Yeah, next to each other.

rascal
    Free Member

Blencathra has much more of a personality than it’s bigger brother ‘Skidder’ which I’ve always found a bit uninteresting. Did Sharp Edge on my tod on my birthday about 8 years ago thinking it would be ironic if I died on Sharp Edge on the day I was born (a few years later granted). It’s a very captivating mountain, especially when the saddle and then Sharp Edge come into view heading west on the A66. Having said all that I’ve only been up Blencathra once (on my to-do-again list this year) but been up Skiddaw twice so what do I know?! 😕 – walked up Ullock Pike-summit-Latrigg and then biked the other time in reverse. Great programme BTW…I heard next up is Helvellyn.

lowey

Ace program, but the colour effects on the photography put me off. Whats wrong with just natural lighting and pictures.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambas it’s one of my favourite mountains – many great days on Blencathra. 😉

Halls Fell Ridge is the perfect walk. Straight as an arrow to the summit with a bit of mild scrambling, Sharp Edge is great and can be quite exposed in winter with the shelf and then the slope above it, Always a tough choice between the two routes.

I will be watching on iplayer.

Much better than Skiddaw and IIRC totally different rock (but could be wrong there)

ElShalimo

To answer a few points above:
    Ed Byrne is a keen walker and had a column in TGO magazine.

The “token” Yorkshireman is Alan Hinkes, the first person from the UK to climb all the 8000m peaks in the world. He’s probably better known for being medi-helivac out of basecamp ‘cos he put his back out sneezing due to a dusty chapati.

The BBC didn’t make this film, it was Terry Abraham. It follows on from his Year on Scafell a couple of years ago.

I really enjoyed it but the music towards the end was a little odd. We’re lucky that there are people out there making beautiful films and that BBC4 actually show them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Finally caught uo with this on iplayer

Some great clips albeit really only enough material for 30 minutes of good stuff. Yes, jambas the two bits on Sharp Edge were the highlights and the stuff on the farm with the mum and son – diversified into “farming tourists” 😉

Birkenshaw clips nice too.

Not sure why they missed Halls Fell Ridge though

9/10 for 30 mins
    6/10 for the full 60 – too much padding

senorj

My nana and grandad called it Saddleback.
    I love the Skiddaw forest “range”.

slowoldman

It was OK but I thought it overindulged in imagery a bit. I think the Scafell one was more interesting.

CountZero

Watched it last Sunday evening, loved it to bits, didn’t mind the photographic effects, I was too wrapped up in the stunning scenery! Wasn’t that bothered by the music either, it’s just something (summit?) in the background.

My nana and grandad called it Saddleback.
    I love the Skiddaw forest “range”.

That’s the Victorian tourist name, it was Wainwright who got the original name brought back.

senorj

My nana and grandad were locals .
    Far from Victorian tourists. 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘PSA: BBC4 9pm tonight – life on a mountain, blencathra’ is closed to new replies.