Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PSA – Bamboo base layer
  • ajantom

Long sleeved bamboo top

Just spotted the above – reduced from £35 to £12 (+ £3 p&p) My dad bought me one for Christmas and it’s a decent, warm base-layer. Fit is a little on the big side, so I’d go down a size from normal. Also if you add the code ‘freesocks8-11’ you apparently get a pair of free socks 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

I got a bargain top from them a couple of years back and it’s great. Have smashed an order in for a couple of those tops-thanks for the PSA.

somafunk

Cheers

oldboy
    Free Member

If the bamboo fibre has been turned into viscose rayon, as the product information suggests, then it has non of the anti-bacterial properties inherent in the natural fibre. Sorry!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Bam stuff is generally really good quality code member was giving a discount and there was also a 4 for 3 offer running (may have finished)

iolo
    Free Member

If the bamboo fibre has been turned into viscose rayon, as the product information suggests, then it has non of the anti-bacterial properties inherent in the natural fibre. Sorry!

If that’s the case why is this written in the item description?
    Are they trying to hoodwink us?

Fabric Features

Climate Control – our fabric’s cellulosic structure ensures you are kept warm in the cold by trapping warm air inside the microfibres, yet cool in the heat by allowing air to circulate between the microfibres.
    Moisture wicking – our fabric is highly absorbent, pulling moisture away from your body to the surface to evaporate.
    Antibacterial – our fabric naturally disposes of bacteria and inhibits its growth, unlike many other fabrics. It is also antifungal.
    Ultra soft – our fabric’s smooth microstructure ensures it is incredibly soft to the touch, and, therefore, very, very comfortable to wear.

ajantom

Does it really matter? They’re cheap, comfortable, and well made. Any mooted anti-bacterial properties are just a potential bonus.
    I tend to wash things after every ride anyway, otherwise I start to smell!

marmaduke
    Free Member
    amedias
    Free Member

ta for the PSA, ordered one 🙂

+1 the above, my chief requirements for a base layer are fit, warmth, moisture wicking, comfort and longevity, whether or not I can also make a tasty cheese in them or not if I forget to wash them is not high up on the list.

oldboy
    Free Member

If you want to be petty.

Why petty? Once bamboo has been turned into viscose it isn’t bamboo at all. Any cellulosic material can be turned into viscose, typically wood pulp. Unfortunately, unlike the USA, the UK seems to let these shyster get away with this sort of nonsense.

nemesis
    Free Member

So is any clothing made from bamboo fibre (not viscose)? If not, it’d be interesting to hear the ASA’s take on this.

oldboy
    Free Member

So is any clothing made from bamboo fibre (not viscose)? If not, it’d be interesting to hear the ASA’s take on this

Not quite sure what you are asking here, but any garment manufactured from unadulterated bamboo fibre would exhibit all the inherent properties of the fibre. If it has been converted into viscose rayon then it would not, and therefore bamboo should not appear on the garment label.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m asking if bamboo is actually used as is so that it is legitimately a bamboo jersey, not just a synthetic jersey made with viscose that came from bamboo – eg not fundamentally chemically altered.

oldboy
    Free Member

“If the bamboo fibre has been turned into viscose rayon, as the product information suggests, then it has non of the anti-bacterial properties inherent in the natural fibre. Sorry! “

If that’s the case why is this written in the item description?
    Are they trying to hoodwink us?

Yes.

oldboy
    Free Member

I’m asking if bamboo is actually used as is so that it is legitimately a bamboo jersey, not just a synthetic jersey made with viscose that came from bamboo – eg not fundamentally chemically altered.

Yes, if bamboo is used as is, as you say, it would certainly be a bamboo jersey.

nemesis
    Free Member

So are any ‘bamboo’ jerseys actually made in that way? 🙂

oldboy
    Free Member

So are any ‘bamboo’ jerseys actually made in that way?

I haven’t seen any cycling specific garments, but they are available online as generic thermal underwear.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Bamboo base layer’ is closed to new replies.