Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • PS3 Question
  • robbo1234biking

I am getting a PS3 for Xmas from the Mrs.

I want to hook it up to the TV via the HDMI cable and then to my surround sound system as well. I understand that it has a digital out but does it also have AV connecters as well?

THanks!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

robbo1234biking

Cheers – am OK using the AV out for sound and HDMI for picture?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep – it is just a settings change on the unit.

FWIW, I use the digital optical out into my surround sound system and the picture is HDMI.

EDIT – I ASSUME you can use AV with HDMI just for the sound but it may not be possible. I would have assumed the PS3 settings will allow you to specify the sound and picture settings separately.

robbo1234biking

Think I am going to have to get a digital out cable as well! But at least I can get started with the AV connection.

molgrips
    Free Member

Some home theatre boxes have HDMI in and out, so you can pipe it from the PS3 to the theatre box where it’ll play the sound, then from there to the telly.

robbo1234biking

Mine isnt that modern Im afraid! It is either coax or optical out but the Sky box uses the coax connection and it isnt an option for PS3 either

Cougar

I ASSUME you can use AV with HDMI just for the sound but it may not be possible.

I don’t have a PS/3, but I would assume the opposite, that the HDMI and Multi-IO ports are mutually exclusive. I’d go with the optical out for audio.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t have a PS/3, but I would assume the opposite, that the HDMI and Multi-IO ports are mutually exclusive. I’d go with the optical out for audio.

But there are multiple output settings allowed via the PS3 interface so it may be possible.

molgrips
    Free Member

It used to be that you could only select one output connector on the PS3, the others would not work. However now the one you select will output full 5.1 whatnots, but the others will still output downmixed stereo.

This is useful if you want to use your PS3 for music on a normal stereo and games/movies from a home cinema thing.

TheFlyingOx

I have HDMI feeding video and audio to the telly, then plug the telly audio-out (optical) into the AV receiver. Something makes me think I did this because the PS3 optical-out quality isn’t all that good compared to the HDMI.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Molgrips – that sounds about what I was meaning.

I noticed it recently that it seemed to have changed in the settings (I was always flicking through settings depending on what I was using the unit for – didn’t always want 5.1 surround).

5lab

just use the optical output into your optical in on the amp? Job jobbed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Was in a firmware upgrade a couple of years ago ish.

sc-xc

My lad has a gaming chair – we connect picture through HDMi and sound through AV…no probs.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Was in a firmware upgrade a couple of years ago ish.

Yeah, we had twins 18 months ago so I don’t get to use it much nowadays 😉

davesmum
    Free Member

I have my PS3 set up with a HDMI output to the TV, and then the red and white wires of the red/white/yellow component lead (that comes with the PS3) into the amp and it works fine.

If you don’t have a spare one, get a HDMI lead now, as the picture is rubbish using the component, and my PS3 didn’t come supplied with a HDMI lead.

Mine is a PS3 slim 320gb by the way.

Cougar

I have HDMI feeding video and audio to the telly, then plug the telly audio-out (optical) into the AV receiver. Something makes me think I did this because the PS3 optical-out quality isn’t all that good compared to the HDMI.

That’s probably backwards. The optical out from the TV will be stereo, I’ve yet to see a TV that’s capable of downmixing HD audio to anything sensible (not saying it’s not possible, but at best it’s unusual enough that I’ve never come across it). You need to go direct from the PS3 for best results.

Cougar

…then the red and white wires of the red/white/yellow component lead (that comes with the PS3) into the amp and it works fine.

And that’s going to be stereo too, or Pro Logic if you’re lucky. Why do you lot have amps, again? *use the digital interconnects if you possibly can*.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got HDMI to the telly from the PS3 and Sky box, optical from PS3 to decoder, digital coax from sky box to decoder, stereo from PS3 to hifi… erm.. that’s it so far. There’s a media centre extender that hasn’t been wired in yet since I need another HDMI cable in the wall 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘PS3 Question’ is closed to new replies.