Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PS3 question…
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

This is as good a place to ask a random question as anywhere, so here goes. Im looking to buy a PS3, and like the idea of putting my MP3 music collection on to it. I would play it through my standard Hi-Fi amplifier. Is this an option, or is the sound quality poor?

I play an ipod through my Hi-Fi at the moment which sounds OK (to me)

Ta

Drac

Audio leads will work fine, there's even optical output if need be, sound is pretty good from PS3 certainly no worse than an iPod at the very least.

rOcKeTdOg

yep, good for showing photos on your TV too (in a holiday slides type way)you can also transfer your music file straight from your PC/Laptop via wifi using something like vuse etc

TheFlyingOx

I'm not sure playing direct through the PS3 is that good an option. I have mine hooked up to the stereo via optical out and a lot of lower bitrate mp3s sound utter gash. The same files streamed to the PS3 via pc media server sound fine though.

molgrips
    Free Member

You might run out of disk space though. I've got a 40gb version and it gets used up pretty quickly.

Riofer
    Free Member

You can always plug in a USB hard drive or stream to it if the internal disc gets full. You can get a 320gb HD in the new ones so plenty of space

jonk

Just replace the internal drive with a 500gig one they are £50 now or use a media streamer like tv versity.

molgrips
    Free Member

Should really do the upgrade – I'm running out of space to install games pretty severely. I had to uninstall some stuff to install Bioshock 2. Wish I hadn't bothered now tho, it's crap.

tegski
    Free Member

I have an Airport express plugged into the back of my amp and I just stream straight to that from the computer…that gives me access to everything already on the computer.

Drac

Does it play blu-rays too and games or inlayer, tegski?

No?

No use then.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Isn’t the PS3 a DLNA client? If so you can stream your music from your home PC. This is what I do with my Sony BluRay player. Obviously your PS3 needs to be on your network and your PC needs to be on (unless you have NAS)

molgrips
    Free Member

I streamed mp3s from my PC to the playstation. It worked, but was slow as hell. Took ages to find the stuff and there was a sizeable pause between tracks.

Milkie
    Free Member

I stream from a ReadyNAS, no delay with audo or video pretty much instantanious, unlike Tversity on my PC, this can be while 3 people are watching videos from the NAS. 😉

No analogue audio out (RCA/Phono Sockets) on the PS3 though.

jon1973
    Free Member

Isn’t the PS3 a DLNA client? If so you can stream your music from your home PC. This is what I do with my Sony BluRay player. Obviously your PS3 needs to be on your network and your PC needs to be on (unless you have NAS)

That’s what I do, but you do need a service like TVersity running on your PC. Works a treat.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I use powerline adaptors rather than wireless. It is not faultless tho’. I have three main issues with it:

1. The majority of my video files are coming up as unsupported or corrupt, even though they are supported file types according to the documentation

2. Audio files are played in alphabetical order rather than track order

3. I can’t see how it supports playlists

I’ve not looked very hard into solutions to the above tho’

stilltortoise
    Free Member

That’s what I do, but you do need a service like TVersity running on your PC. Works a treat.

I just use Windows Media Player. Tick and box and all my media can be accessed by the BD player.

molgrips
    Free Member

No analogue audio out (RCA/Phono Sockets) on the PS3 though.

The PS3 comes with an adapter to give those.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘PS3 question…’ is closed to new replies.