Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • PS2 help please
  • juiced
    Free Member

hi

got a second hand ps2. all the immaculate games load perfectly. ones with very slight stratches do not load. ‘ load read error’?? is appearing.

Now I know this was a common problem. I am going to clean out the dust and clean the lense when my order arrives for cleaner etc.

However do you think these games will ever load? Or would lightly stratched games affect even new ps2’s?

I have seen the vids on you tube about resetting the lense part and greasing the rails etc. not sure if this will help though. is it normal the lightly stratched games not to work or should i give fiddling a go.

i have the option of return the games that do not work and also the ps2.

although tbh i know another ps2 this may happen at a later stage.

any advice greatly appreciated. and yes i have got an mtb game 😆

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I used to work in a games shop. When ps2 games 1st came out they were on single layer disc, then double layer came along. Essentially the disc Reading surface was given two layers enabling twice as much information to be stored. These discs have a more deicate surface and won’t read if any scratches are present, most notoriously gta San andreas. I would ditch any scratched discs they will shorten the life if the laser in the long term.

juiced
    Free Member

ok cheers. some of my disks are silver . some blacky blue. some silver’s do not work. blacks are perfect though. is it worth trying to repair the disks with brasso? or will this still shorten the the laser life too.

probably return them though. aplogies if it seems i not taking your advice. i will but would love to get one off the affected games working.understand that this is probably not possible.

thanks alot.i shouldn’t argue and just return them.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

No worries mate, the black and purple discs are typically very early and more durable. The silver ones more recent and typically dual layer and more fragile. I would never use brasso on a disc, use a disc cleaning fluid or a dab water. Apply it to a clean cloth and start at the centre of the disc going outward, people often rub the discs in a circular motion this can cause more scratches. There are about 7 versions of ps2 laser in the PAL models, identified by the serial and chasis number.

If you’ve got a slim ps2 then the lasers are upgraded from the original ones. The older shape ps2’s often suffered laser problems of they were stood up vertically. Sony never admitted this officialy, but they upgraded the laser and spring arm in the slimline. Ps2’s are ten a penny as are the games u can get a mint one cheap, my advice is to settle only for a good one.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers that’s brilliant. it’s an older model. thanks again.

juiced
    Free Member

is it worth swapping the unit for a second hand slimline? might make things abit easier.

not to worry they’re more than twice the price.thanks again for your help.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yeah, the power supply is external so they don’t overheat as often and don’t need the cooling fans so they ate quiet, plus the lasers are better. Ones with a model number of SCPH70002, 70003 and 70004 were early ones and sone suffered a faulty power lead, any other model number is known to be reliable.

Chances are though that your faulty game may be beyond hope.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers. thats great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘PS2 help please’ is closed to new replies.