• This topic has 40 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Proud to be British
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s moments like these that make you realise what can be achieved if we all stand together
    Too chicken to come and stay

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not sure how being British relates to Trump cancelling a trip and mistaking Obama for Bush or why this makes anyone else proud?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I don’t get it.

During the Queen’s Speech at the State Opening of Parliament last summer, there was no mention of a visit – although a Downing Street spokesman said an invitation had been “extended and accepted”.
    Mrs May was the first foreign leader to meet Mr Trump after his inauguration when she visited the Oval Office in January 2017.

Pride is overrated. Humility not so much.

funkmasterp

The only reason he’s not opening the embassy is because it involves cutting a ribbon with scissors. His underlings were afraid that he might hurt himself.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sales of lattes will collapse

kerley
    Free Member

I will never be proud to be British just as I wouldn’t be proud of any other country I happened to be born in. Why should I be?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t see the pride connection with the linked article.

On the issue of national pride it is a bit of a con as there is no common cause other than jingoistic bullshit of “my country is great because it’s my country”.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ll be proud when team human does away with countries.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’ll be proud when team human does away with countries

Why? Culturally the wotld would have to subscribe to one form form of governance. Would it necessarily be democratic? And why is diversity of governance a bad thing?

cranberry
    Free Member

It’s moments like these that make you realise what can be achieved if we all stand together

The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary. A hideous ecstasy of fear and vindictiveness, a desire to kill, to torture, to smash faces in with a sledge hammer, seemed to flow through the whole group of people like an electric current, turning one even against one’s will into a grimacing, screaming lunatic. And yet the rage that one felt was an abstract, undirected emotion which could be switched from one object to another like the flame of a blowlamp.

kimbers

It wouldn’t be 2 minutes of hate it’d be a carnival of festivities, I reckon there would be some excellent home made signage!

Meanwhile…

Drac

Eh?

Did we?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Trying to avoid politics on Twitter STW:

ME: [article about dolphins]
    TWITTER STW: They’re so smart! Unlike Trump

ME: [chart of improving global welfare]
    TWITTER STW: Not if Trump gets his way

ME: [cute puppies]
    TWITTER: Awww
    ME: …
    TWITTER STW: …we need stuff like this in the age of Trump

HT @JuliaGalef

Poopscoop

I think Mike is alluding to the fact that a great many people on Britain will make it VERY evident in London what they think of Trump. Trump knows this and as we all know, his skin is as think as Graphene, hence the made up decision not to attend.

Mike’s “standing together” comment reflects the point that a great many in this country can’t abide what Trump stands for and are willing to let him know.

Even if Maybot can’t wait to go hand in hand with him again through the clover…

That’s how I read it.

If Britain is seen to be anti Trump,i have no problem about being proud of it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well I applaud the OP for trying to start a fun thread involving politics but I see the peoples front of Judea, attracted by the all too Righty mention of ‘pride’, have missed the point by several miles and sucked the life out of it.

Back to agonising over the currect term for a Female Fisherman then.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mermaid.

/thread.

stevextc
    Free Member

Why? Culturally the wotld would have to subscribe to one form form of governance. Would it necessarily be democratic? And why is diversity of governance a bad thing?

That’s take but I think the point is that the idea of a country involves some sort of either supporting or not supporting specific decisions/views etc.

The majority of people act like herd animals because humans are social and the country identity can often be like a set of lemmings or wilderbeast where some path is blindly followed and largely because if you don’t you’ll be the one outside being picked off by predators.

Much as I’m a bit glad that Trump feels the UK would not be a good place to visit … the thing is that also extends to Americans.(in general).. many of whom didn’t vote for him and quite possibly many that did and are now wondering why and regretting it but feel like they are part of the lemmings

nickhit3
    Free Member

do we need another Trump thread?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why? Culturally the wotld would have to subscribe to one form form of governance.

Absolutely not. It’s actually a matter of rejecting dogma, not accepting it – which is entirely where the problem lies.

DezB
    Free Member

Funniest thing in that article is Trump having a go at the Obama administration for spending a lot on a building..

Anyway, this is what the OP was alluding to, for those pretending not to get it:
    A petition calling for the invitation to be withdrawn was signed by more than 1.8m people, while the issue was also debated in parliament.

martinhutch

Funniest thing in that article is Trump having a go at the Obama administration for spending a lot on a building..

A building that was signed off under the Bush administration, apparently. 🙂

Come on Harry, do your duty, invite Obama to the wedding…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

That’s take but I think the point is that the idea of a country involves some sort of either supporting or not supporting specific decisions/views etc.

The majority of people act like herd animals because humans are social and the country identity can often be like a set of lemmings or wilderbeast where some path is blindly followed and largely because if you don’t you’ll be the one outside being picked off by predators.

Much as I’m a bit glad that Trump feels the UK would not be a good place to visit … the thing is that also extends to Americans.(in general).. many of whom didn’t vote for him and quite possibly many that did and are now wondering why and regretting it but feel like they are part of the lemmings

**** it ! am going back to bed.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickhit3 – Member

do we need another Trump thread?

No, but a Trump sub forum would be great. It would be so great. It’ll be the best sub forum, incredible, really, something great.

tthew

Back to agonising over the correct term for a Female Fisherman then.

Mermaid.

/thread. You win the internet for the day BigDummy. 😆

I like the idea of Harold inviting Obama to his wedding too.

Anyhow, I’m glad that the Orange Oaf isn’t coming, and will seriously consider going and holding a banner when/if he does. The man is the original snowflake though, I suspect he will never be ready.

Nico
    Free Member

A female fisherman is a unicorn, Shirley?

oikeith

I wouldn’t call any of it British, isn’t being British stiff upper lip and the ability to queue silently for hours?

Being British is not the first thing that comes to mind when I hear of stuff like this, more why is it raining toys or 140 characters or less…

winston
    Free Member

I’m not proud to be British – we have mainly been a bunch of idiots recently. I’m especially not proud of the last three governments.

but my female cousin used to work on a fishing trawler (and not as a cook) and her whats app reply is

‘A fisherman – anything else would have been insulting’

JoeBones
    Free Member

Well I applaud the OP for trying to start a fun thread involving politics but I see the peoples front of Judea, attracted by the all too Righty mention of ‘pride’, have missed the point by several miles and sucked the life out of it.

This place should be called leftytrackworld

JoeBones
    Free Member

I am proud of my Britishness too even though I come from the most westerley part of the UK 🙂

epicyclo

Aye, it’s great news for a few seconds.

Then consider this – after Brexit we need a decent trade deal with this guy who is notorious for carrying a grudge and spiteful behaviour.

He may be a numpty, but annoying a numpty wielding the power of a POTUS is even numptier.

I’m glad I’m not British.

char34
    Free Member

used to be proud to be british that went along time ago
    why all the trump haters who would you sooner have bush, the klinton/s, obama come on at least trump hasnt invaded other countries and killed millions based upon lies all for profit, i will reserve judgment on trump untill or if he goes down the same path,
    trump gets slated for trying to look after his own people and gets called racist wake up people we are all one race its called the human race
    rant over PEACE

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Best ever: take my Bossnut V2 out in the woods and listen to music from PJ Harvey.

PJ Harvey is proud to be British.

And hell – she is smart!

bloodynora
    Free Member

^^ those two previous replies eh!
    Oh and glad episycho isn’t British

yunki
    Free Member

trump gets slated for trying to look after his own people and gets called racist wake up people

nice one

5 1/2 years on the forum
    26 pages of mostly trader only posting history and suddenly this little addition 😆

oldtalent
    Free Member

I will be once Brexit is complete.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

@bloodynora:

guess you don’t know PJ Harvey…

Too bad!
    YouTube … and you will understand.
    (a joke is a joke is a joke is…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So where did the mass sense of humour bypass get put in? Seem to have touched a nerve with this one

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dunno about proud but I’m pleased that crank’s not coming over (just yet anyway), he’s bound to at some point I suppose but with some luck he err…won’t.
    I’m still proud to be ‘from Britain’ just as pissed off as I’ve ever been that we don’t have a government to run it. Got one to ruin it though haven’t we?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

On Battleship Hill

One of these fantastic songs from PJ Harvey.

enfht
    Free Member

I for one am relieved Trump didn’t call Britain a shithole country.

That could have been bloody awkward. 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Proud to be British’ is closed to new replies.